PDA

View Full Version : Spelltheif needs more spells!

sambouchah
2013-02-13, 10:23 PM
So I wanna play a Pixie Spelltheif/Arcane trickster. Is there a way to get third level spells more quickly then level 11? Because I don't believe that the spell stealing is permanent.

Also the DM has taken a different form of pixie(No spell-likes, DR, SR, etc) so I don't have a LA. It may seem stupid but this character is for role playing rather than for all the super cool Pixie abilities.

nedz
2013-02-13, 10:26 PM
Multiclass into Wizard and take the Master Spellthief feat from CSco.

Answerer
2013-02-13, 10:31 PM
Trickster Spellthief from Dragon 353 gets spellcasting like a Bard rather than the normal weak Spellthief progression. It gives up all Sneak Attack after the first d6, has fewer skill points, and loses Trapfinding, IIRC.

Godsblood Spelltheft from Class Chronicles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) gives you a Domain, and you can swap stolen spells for spells from the Domain you choose. Pretty solid choice.

Master Spellthief from Complete Scoundrel does ludicrous things to your Caster Level if you multiclass and then get into some dual-progression classes like Ultimate Magus, or use Chameleon. Tends to help the other class more than it helps Spellthief, though.

sambouchah
2013-02-13, 10:40 PM
Trickster Spellthief from Dragon 353 gets spellcasting like a Bard rather than the normal weak Spellthief progression. It gives up all Sneak Attack after the first d6, has fewer skill points, and loses Trapfinding, IIRC.

Godsblood Spelltheft from Class Chronicles (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) gives you a Domain, and you can swap stolen spells for spells from the Domain you choose. Pretty solid choice.

Master Spellthief from Complete Scoundrel does ludicrous things to your Caster Level if you multiclass and then get into some dual-progression classes like Ultimate Magus, or use Chameleon. Tends to help the other class more than it helps Spellthief, though.

What page is Master spelltheif on? I am scouring Complete Scoundrel and can't find it

Answerer
2013-02-13, 10:41 PM
...I have this horrible feeling it's on page 79. I haven't actually checked, but... I think that's where it is.

sambouchah
2013-02-13, 10:43 PM
...I have this horrible feeling it's on page 79. I haven't actually checked, but... I think that's where it is.

Damn! Right on haha. I assumed it was a PrC...... Sorry haha

Answerer
2013-02-13, 10:44 PM
...I think I may have a problem. I haven't even played a Spellthief in years.

yougi
2013-02-14, 06:48 AM
I first need to apologize for how unhelpful what I will say is.

A Spellthief can cast 3rd level spells at lv6, and if you need more spells, SNEAK ATTACK SOMEONE!

Sorry, had to be done. Regarding the OP, yeah, Master Spellthief.

sambouchah
2013-02-14, 11:37 AM
I first need to apologize for how unhelpful what I will say is.

A Spellthief can cast 3rd level spells at lv6, and if you need more spells, SNEAK ATTACK SOMEONE!

Sorry, had to be done. Regarding the OP, yeah, Master Spellthief.

But are those permanent? I really cannot tell so I didn't see it as my main option.

Hunter Noventa
2013-02-14, 11:52 AM
But are those permanent? I really cannot tell so I didn't see it as my main option.

No, the point of being a Spellthief is to steal your enemies' spells and use them. if you aren't going to face a lot of spell-casting enemies, you may want to think of a different class.

sambouchah
2013-02-14, 12:25 PM
No, the point of being a Spellthief is to steal your enemies' spells and use them. if you aren't going to face a lot of spell-casting enemies, you may want to think of a different class.

We have started facing more and more. This character is probably going to be a backup for my current character. But spellthief wont fill the prereqs for arcane trickster at 6th

Asteron
2013-02-14, 04:53 PM
One of my partymates is a pixie spellthief/arcane trickster... He took a few sorcerer levels (for flavor... it's kinda like artificial grape; just horrible) with Master Spellthief.

I recommended that he go Spellthief 1/Rogue 1/Wizard/Sorcerer X/Arcane Trickster X. He declined because he wanted to be able to steal spell-like abilities.

Answerer
2013-02-14, 06:07 PM
I actually rather like the flavor of artificial grape (and don't care much for the real thing). But then, my dietary preferences are bizarre.

Anyway, I find it kind of saddening that the only handbook for Spellthieves relies heavily on spells that the Spellthief cannot actually learn...

nedz
2013-02-14, 06:43 PM
One of my partymates is a pixie spellthief/arcane trickster... He took a few sorcerer levels (for flavor... it's kinda like artificial grape; just horrible) with Master Spellthief.

I recommended that he go Spellthief 1/Rogue 1/Wizard/Sorcerer X/Arcane Trickster X. He declined because he wanted to be able to steal spell-like abilities.

Wizard and Sorcerer ?
You can use Unseen Seer to get into Arcane Trickster, or replace it completely.
Spellthief 1 / Sorcerer 4 / Unseen Seer 2 / Arcane Trickster X.
or
Spellthief 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseen Seer 1 / Arcane Trickster X.

Ed: actually you might need a level of Rogue or something for Hide, but your friend could have that from Pixie.

Asteron
2013-02-15, 02:30 PM
Wizard and Sorcerer ?
You can use Unseen Seer to get into Arcane Trickster, or replace it completely.
Spellthief 1 / Sorcerer 4 / Unseen Seer 2 / Arcane Trickster X.
or
Spellthief 1 / Wizard 4 / Unseen Seer 1 / Arcane Trickster X.

Ed: actually you might need a level of Rogue or something for Hide, but your friend could have that from Pixie.

Sorry, I meant Wizard or sorcerer...

Since Arcane Trickster has a 2d6 SA requirement, you need more levels of Spellthief or a Rogue dip to do it. Does Unseen Seer give SA?