PDA

View Full Version : Building for Gestalt [Pathfinder]

13ones
2013-02-14, 12:02 AM
So today I was approached by one of my friends who offered me a position in a game he was considering running. He was getting a hankering for some generic-ish medieval fantasy setting and gestalt game so he is running one, and he invited me. This was a surprise to me not only because I'm fairly new but also because those he invited are all considerably above my league in terms of knowledge and skill. After they explained to me what Gestalt was I instantly began to try to figure out how to make it work. This is where you guys come in.

I have a handful of character ideas that I would like to make function...but I have no idea what classes to take for them nor where to distribute attributes. Skill points, gear, feats and the like I can figure out on my own. I just really need to get class combos and the appropriate attribute distribution down.

Also the material I believe is limited to core rule books, no leadership feat, no gun slingers in terms of rules for the actual thing. So 3rd party, accessory (so sadly no Dervish Dance) and other things are out unless I can justify to him that it is beyond importance. Anyways, enough of my rambling, here are the character concepts.

1 - A young man belonging to an order of magic using warriors. I'm not talking Paladins here(though he could be a paladin in terms of class), I'm talking warriors that fully use the Arcane in their battles either to improve themselves or rain down chaos on their foes. He is on a quest to become a 'true' hero, as he is still only a rookie within his organization.

2 - A sort of nomadic fighter. A sort of sell sword, part of a nomadic tribe that is all about wandering and fighting things in order to gain honour and recognition among his people. They have a tradition that when they reach maturity that the young men and women are sent out in order to fight something and come home with the story and trophy of whatever they fought to prove they are worth being part of the clan. While he is a warrior he can appreciate the art of stealth, dishonesty, and the idea behind stealing to survive. It is a rough world and one has to survive it however they can. He provides for himself at any cost.

3 - A shadow dancer. A sort of magical thief/assassin that uses both marshal skills as well as shadow and illusion magics to supplement their abilities and make them far more powerful and dangerous than before. I had a fetchling in mind for this. A character lost in our world and forced to join with people whom he does not understand nor does he fully trust in order to find a way to get home.

4 - The huntsmen. A grand hunter if there ever was one. A person/creature from a wild plane, a sort of place that is basically Jurassic Park the plane. Much like the nomad this character is all about the thrill of the hunt, the glory of combat and the trophy to be taken afterwards. His tracking and combat skills are basically all he has and being from a demi-plane and secluded from humanity for so long his social skills are..lacking at best, not there at worst.

5 - Another magic using marshal class, but this one is different. Where the other is a rookie hero looking to make his place among his fellows this one is more an accidental hero who is now torn between the forces of law and chaos. On one hand he is normally a lawful warrior, a paragon for good, justice and a fair fight. But during his first adventure he came into contact with something that fused him with the conciousness of something else. This is where the magic and chaos comes in. When he starts casting his personality flips and he wants nothing more than to turn to world into ash and tear it asunder. So he doesn't cast all that often because while that personality takes over he is still very aware of what is going on...and it scares him a lot (I like this one A BUNCH)

6- An Assassin in training. He is of an order that favours the quite kill to all others. Poison, arrows, anything that lets them kill their targets without being in harms way but still sends the message when their target falls, while keeping themselves out of harms way. He is originally sent in to infiltrate and then kill one of the members of the party but begins to question his orders, his allegiances and his purpose as a weapon.

7 - This character was of noble birth. He had everything a man could want. Wealth, power, intelligence...but he lacked something. Magic, true power. So he sold his soul to a Devil in order to obtain powers of darkness and the Arcane. He has begun the journey with the party around him because the Devil ordered him to do so with intent of securing their objective or killing their target for the Devil with the deal being that doing so prevents the Devil from taking his soul when the time comes. He is fully aware the Devil will probably screw him..so he stays with the party because it is beneficial to him to get stronger and make strong allies.

There they are. My character concepts for this setting. Please, Giantitp forums, help me realise them!

Joshinthemosh
2013-02-14, 01:13 PM
Let's start with the one you like a lot #5

Paladin 20//Sorcerer 20. Melee? Check. Casting? Check? Solid build that has staying power while never totally outclassing anyone? Check. Paladins MUST be Lawful good. Sorcerers are generally a more chaotic lot.

Race Ifrit http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-ifrit

These guys are descendants of Fire Elementals. They are described as hot headed, feisty you get the idea. They burn things real good.

Or http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar Emberkin "Masters of fire magic, emberkin feel the dual pull of their peri forebear as well as that of a fallen angel further down their ancestry, and wrestle with their urges to do both good and evil."

I think that covers it

DMVerdandi
2013-02-14, 03:36 PM
1 - A young man belonging to an order of magic using warriors. I'm not talking Paladins here(though he could be a paladin in terms of class), I'm talking warriors that fully use the Arcane in their battles either to improve themselves or rain down chaos on their foes. He is on a quest to become a 'true' hero, as he is still only a rookie within his organization.

Magus//Sorcerer(Sage class feature)

2 - A sort of nomadic fighter. A sort of sell sword, part of a nomadic tribe that is all about wandering and fighting things in order to gain honour and recognition among his people. They have a tradition that when they reach maturity that the young men and women are sent out in order to fight something and come home with the story and trophy of whatever they fought to prove they are worth being part of the clan. While he is a warrior he can appreciate the art of stealth, dishonesty, and the idea behind stealing to survive. It is a rough world and one has to survive it however they can. He provides for himself at any cost.
Rogue//Fighter

3 - A shadow dancer. A sort of magical thief/assassin that uses both marshal skills as well as shadow and illusion magics to supplement their abilities and make them far more powerful and dangerous than before. I had a fetchling in mind for this. A character lost in our world and forced to join with people whom he does not understand nor does he fully trust in order to find a way to get home.

Ninja//Wizard(Illusionist)

4 - The huntsmen. A grand hunter if there ever was one. A person/creature from a wild plane, a sort of place that is basically Jurassic Park the plane. Much like the nomad this character is all about the thrill of the hunt, the glory of combat and the trophy to be taken afterwards. His tracking and combat skills are basically all he has and being from a demi-plane and secluded from humanity for so long his social skills are..lacking at best, not there at worst.
Ranger/Barbarian

5 - Another magic using marshal class, but this one is different. Where the other is a rookie hero looking to make his place among his fellows this one is more an accidental hero who is now torn between the forces of law and chaos. On one hand he is normally a lawful warrior, a paragon for good, justice and a fair fight. But during his first adventure he came into contact with something that fused him with the conciousness of something else. This is where the magic and chaos comes in. When he starts casting his personality flips and he wants nothing more than to turn to world into ash and tear it asunder. So he doesn't cast all that often because while that personality takes over he is still very aware of what is going on...and it scares him a lot (I like this one A BUNCH)
Paladin(Oath Against corruption)//Oracle of Dark Tapestry
NOW THAT IS AWESOME. Don't want to look into the primordial chaos? TOO BAD. Here are some Eldritch Horrors.

6- An Assassin in training. He is of an order that favours the quite kill to all others. Poison, arrows, anything that lets them kill their targets without being in harms way but still sends the message when their target falls, while keeping themselves out of harms way. He is originally sent in to infiltrate and then kill one of the members of the party but begins to question his orders, his allegiances and his purpose as a weapon.
Fighter//Ninja

7 - This character was of noble birth. He had everything a man could want. Wealth, power, intelligence...but he lacked something. Magic, true power. So he sold his soul to a Devil in order to obtain powers of darkness and the Arcane. He has begun the journey with the party around him because the Devil ordered him to do so with intent of securing their objective or killing their target for the Devil with the deal being that doing so prevents the Devil from taking his soul when the time comes. He is fully aware the Devil will probably screw him..so he stays with the party because it is beneficial to him to get stronger and make strong allies.
Wizard//Witch

There they are. My character concepts for this setting. Please, Giantitp forums, help me realise them!

Hopefully those suggestions work.
Don't forget to research on the SRD.:smallbiggrin: