PDA

View Full Version : Looking for specific exotic weapons.

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-02-14, 12:50 AM
I'm working on a sword and board Swordsage/Crusader and I figure the best way to keep on par with damage would be a dip in Exotic Weapons Master to give me 2-to-1 Power Attack returns with an exotic one-handed weapon. I'm a bit tight on feats (no magical locations or flaws allowed) but my DM says that the Weapon Focus ability of Swordsage counts towards the prerequisites.

My first thought is to go with the Elven Thinblade since it counts as a scimitar or simply the Bastard Sword, but I want to know what other options there are.

So, I'm looking for a one-handed exotic weapon that counts as one of the following weapons:

Scimitar
Rapier
Shortspear
Heavy Mace
Trident

Derjuin
2013-02-14, 12:54 AM
Elven Thinblade and Lightblade (races of the wild, p. 166) count as rapiers or longswords for the purpose of weapon focus and other associated feats; it wouldn't be a stretch to ask your DM if they worked for other abilities, too.

Pickford
2013-02-14, 01:00 AM
Thinblade is like a rapier, not a scimitar or bastard sword.

Otherwise: Elven lightblade, Rapier Quickblade, Warmace.

You can find them in the Complete Warrior/Complete Adventurer.

Darrin
2013-02-14, 07:46 AM
My first thought is to go with the Elven Thinblade since it counts as a scimitar or simply the Bastard Sword, but I want to know what other options there are.

So, I'm looking for a one-handed exotic weapon that counts as one of the following weapons:

Scimitar
Rapier
Shortspear
Heavy Mace
Trident

What exactly do you need this weapon to do, other than 2:1 Power Attack damage? If you need it finessable, then Elven Thinblade would probably be best. Otherwise, Bastard Sword or Dwarven Waraxe is probably all you need. Both of those are associated with a Discipline Focus: Diamond Mind for the Bastard Sword, and Iron Heart for the Dwarven Waraxe. For the purposes of Discipline Focus, the Elven Thinblade could probably count as either a Rapier (Diamond Mind) or Longsword (Devoted Spirit).

If you have to have a shortspear, heavy mace, or trident that counts as exotic, then consider making it out of gold or platinum (Heavy Weapon property from Magic of Faerun). Could be very expensive (+2500 GP for a 1d6 weapon, +7000 for a 1d8 weapon), but would then count as exotic. Can't finesse it, though.

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-02-14, 06:45 PM
I'm not opposed to thinblade, per se. I'm just interested in seeing what other options exist (perhaps something with an interesting special ability). Also, technically, the Devoted Spirit and White Raven weapons wouldn't help me because the class ability specifically calls out the 6 Swordsage disciplines, not just a discipline you know.

Thank you though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-14, 07:18 PM
Quickblade Rapier, Complete Adventurer, +2 disarm and feint, otherwise identical to a rapier.

Kaorti Resin Ribbon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Scimitar, 18-20/x4 critical.

Darrin
2013-02-14, 09:02 PM
I'm not opposed to thinblade, per se. I'm just interested in seeing what other options exist (perhaps something with an interesting special ability). Also, technically, the Devoted Spirit and White Raven weapons wouldn't help me because the class ability specifically calls out the 6 Swordsage disciplines, not just a discipline you know.

Aha. Sorry, missed that about the disciplines. In that case, I think thinblade is your best option. Both the normal rapier and quickblade rapier have a clause that prevents you from getting a better damage multiplier by using two hands. While the Uncanny Blow stunt may overrule this, your DM might decide it doesn't. The thinblade, however, can take advantage of the Weapon Focus: Rapier by RAW, and has no such restriction on two-handed damage. Crit range is the same as a rapier or scimitar, but slightly better damage.

Nettlekid
2013-02-14, 09:13 PM
I don't have any new suggestions, but I recommend slipping a level of Warblade in there somewhere. It'll help get some prereq maneuvers for the other two initiators maybe, but most usefully you'll be able to redesignate that Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to any exotic weapon you come across.

inuyasha
2013-02-15, 12:26 AM
I dont remember what book it was in but I remember seeing a magical quality that lets you use a 2 handed weapon in one hand. If you can find this, combine that the fullblade (arms and equipment guide) and you have something amazing!