PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcadin Build Help

Slayer Lord
2013-02-14, 02:43 AM
I've been playing around with the idea of the Sorcadin for a while, and I thought I'd prepare one for a future campaign. All Pathfinder books are allowed.

My stats thus far are:

Half-elf
Lvl 5 (Paladin 2/Sorcerer (Draconic)3)
Str- 13
Dex- 12 (post lvl 3 ability boost)
Con- 15
Int- 16
Wis- 12
Cha- 20 (post racial stat boost)

Appraise- 1
Bluff- 1
Diplomacy- 2
Fly- 1 (for now)
Linguistics- 1
Perception- 2
Sense Motive- 2
Spellcraft- 5
Use Magic Device- 2
Knowledge Arcana- 5
Knowledge History- 1
Profession Archaeologist- 2

Feats
Combat Casting
Spell Focus Evocation
Expanded Arcana

Have not yet selected my spells or traits.

I'm playing as a blaster and intend to take Dragon Disciple. I know that humans make the best sorcerers in Pathfinder due to the APG, but our group is more role play oriented and optimization isn't usually a concern. I've been having some trouble with spell selection, and not entirerly happy with my feats. Any suggestions?

ezchaton
2013-02-14, 08:03 AM
Great choice on the Sorcerer ~ Draconic side.

Here are some spells I use as a "Dragonblooded" Sorcerer in my current build ( I'm almost level 12):

1st LvL : True Strike, True Casting ( "Use the force" like when combined with spells that require Ranged Touch check or SR checks - they come in handy later),Ray of Enfeeblement ( Make them weak -Strength damage and works with undead too ), Kelgore's Fire Bolt ( PHB II), all level 1 orb spells from Spell Compendium

2nd LvL: Alter Self ( Can't fly ? transform into Avariel the flying elf. Armor problems ? Become a Troglodyte with 6 bonus armor on AC ), Scortching Ray (first serious damage), Glitterdust ( useful at higher levels even ), WEB ( be Spiderman ), Minor Image, Invisibility ( Now you see me, now you don't).

3rd LvL: Fireball ( when you cannot use Lightning Bolt - good for opened spaces) Lightning Bolt ( good in closed spaces and when not trying to hit your team mates ) Sound Lance ( 4th level Cleric spell as 3rd level Sorc - this is MADNESS - really good againsts single targets due to the bigger hit die ~ 1d8/level instead of 1d6/level compared to the other two )Slow, Haste.

4th LvL: Dimension Door ( Here and there, you're everywhere ), Black Tentacles ( you've seen enough hentai to see where this is going -I do not use it but wizards think of it as good), Orb of force and all other orbs from Spell Compendium, Wings of Flurry ( although small range , it is in handy when cornered - no level cap + 1 hit die if dragon blooded + auto sculpt - don't worry about hitting your friends ), Greater Invisibility ( fight/fly/walk invisible ).

5th LvL: Arcane Fusion ( oh yeaahhhh - you cast two spells at the cost of one spell slot - one 1st lvl spell or lower +one 4th lvl spell or lower>>combine true strike with the orb for the ranged touch attack or true casting with fireball/lightning bolt/sound lance for the SR).

This is all for now on the sorcerer side :vaarsuvius:

Ravens_cry
2013-02-14, 08:11 AM
Except . . .Pathfinder Alter Self doesn't give you a fly speed, even if you transform into a race, like Strix, that can fly.

ezchaton
2013-02-15, 03:01 AM
Except . . .Pathfinder Alter Self doesn't give you a fly speed, even if you transform into a race, like Strix, that can fly.

Hmmm I guess you could replace it with Dimension Hop ( sorc lvl 2) - it's behaviour it's quite similar to the one in D&D 3.5.

avr
2013-02-15, 03:48 AM
For feats, Expanded Arcana will only give you cantrips at this level ('at least one level lower than the highest level spell you can cast in that class'). There's got to be better options. Simple combat feats like Combat Expertise or Power Attack, or a magic item crafting feat, or Eldritch Heritage to dabble in another sorcerer bloodline all look better.

You've only got 3 1st level spells known at the mo, and you're caster level 3 at character level 5 (OK, CL 5 if you're using traits), and you're a sorc rather than a magus so you don't get to mix spellcasting and melee attacks. This isn't a high point of your career as far as spellcasting goes. Self buffs like Enlarge Person, Mage Armor and True Strike are probably your best bet. If you must blast get something like Shocking Grasp which at least gets some benefit from being cast by a less squishy than usual caster.

2nd level spells are when you might usefully start blasting. There's a bunch of options.

When you get 3rd level spells, you've got better options for a sorcadin than blasty spells. As a half-elf, start with Paragon Surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paragon-surge). Note that Expanded Arcana is a valid option for the bonus feat. Enjoy open-book spellcasting from 2nd level or lower sorc spells. If a 3rd party spell is OK, Arcane Bow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/super-genius-games---3rd-party-spells/arcane-bow) is appropriate to a half-elf, useful to a gish, and cool.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-15, 05:36 AM
Hmmm I guess you could replace it with Dimension Hop ( sorc lvl 2) - it's behaviour it's quite similar to the one in D&D 3.5.

He gave no indication that any 3.5 material was allowed. He said all PF material, and that's it.

Slayer Lord
2013-02-15, 10:44 AM
Just Pathfinder material, please.