PDA

View Full Version : Level 19 Ranger Build Suggestions

white lancer
2013-02-14, 03:24 AM
So, I've actually only played a few D&D campaigns--only three by my count, and two of those only lasted two sessions (though one just started and is currently ongoing). Because of this, I'm not especially experienced at character builds and the like, especially with regards to avoiding pitfalls and traps. Recently, I was invited to make a sort of 'guest appearance' in the first game I ever played--I started this game back in high school and stopped playing it when I moved away to college, and I've found my friends are still playing it today. Naturally, this means that I need to update my character to be the same level as the rest of the party, which actually means rebuilding him from scratch since I don't have his old character sheet.

All I can remember from the character before is as follows:

-He was a Ranger with the Two-Weapon Fighting progression
-He was a half-elf
-He was Lawful Evil and worshiped Hextor

I'd like to keep those things consistent since everything else isn't likely to be (even though I'm aware half-elf is probably not the best race I could be). I don't remember all that much about the other characters in the party, but I know one is a Cleric, one is half-dragon or Dragonborn or something like that, and the third has taken levels in Duelist. I realize that it's unrealistic to expect my char to be on a par with the Cleric (even though I don't think the party is completely optimized), but I'm hoping to make it as close as I can. My parameters:

-Ability scores will be rolled
-Multiclassing and the like is allowed
-Any and all 3.5 materials are fair game, although my DM has asked to see the character before I show up
-170,000 gold to spend on whatever equipment (and this is where I really struggle, since I've never played/equipped a character of a level higher than about 7 or 8); no weapons greater than +5 enhancement or +10 total bonus

So, that's about it. Any suggestions? Tips? Must haves? Must avoids? I'd really appreciate it! :)

hymer
2013-02-14, 05:48 AM
My suggestion:

Two-weapon fighting needs a little work in 3.5. Going straight ranger would probably be unsatisfactory for this reason (you’d likely have to do something weird like fighting with a two-handed weapon and armour spikes).
My suggestion would be taking a level of barbarian with Lion Totem (Unearthed Aracana) to get Pounce. Then 3 or 4 levels of scout, and the rest as ranger to stay with your concept (you might want to switch these around a bit, but levels in Ranger get you your two-weapon fighting feats and keep up you BAB). Take the Complete Scoundrel feat Swift Hunter (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.dk/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html) (and Improved Skirmish, don’t rightly remember where that is). The idea then is to charge, which activates the scout’s Skirmish and allows full attacks at the same time.
You’re vulnerable as four-letter-word, but you can do some pretty decent damage, and surprise rounds in particular are cool for you. Swift Hunter allows you to Skirmish against things that are usually immune to Skirmish. And the whole thing should stay pretty close to your original concept.
Getting some miss chance on you is instrumental in staying alive if you charge something that doesn’t die. An Anklet of Translocation (Magic Item Compendium) helps get you into charging position.

Lorsa
2013-02-14, 05:57 AM
I don't think it's particularly good, but I've always been curious as to what it would look like to have Two-weapon fighting along with Monkey Grip, Exotic weapon proficiency: Bastard sword and Oversized Two-weapon fighting. Then you can weild 2x Large Bastard swords. 4 levels of fighter should give you the feats you need and then you add in Weapon focus: Bastard sword (which you'd need) and Weapon Specialization and Improved Critical. You'd probably need two Gloves of storing to hold your extremely large weapons though. :smallsmile:

Ok, maybe not the best of builds but at least it would look cool!

white lancer
2013-02-20, 07:52 PM
Finally getting back to this--I didn't really have the time to look at potential builds for a while.

The Swift Hunter build is actually something that I've done before, so I think I'm going to try something different this time around. And the double bastard sword build sounds kinda crazy (in a cool way), but probably not best for this particular game. But thanks for the feedback, hymer and Lorza!

I've looked at a number of different possibilities and prestige classes, and right now I'm a little intrigued by a Ranger 15/Swordsage 4 combination, so unless that's actually a disastrous build and I'm just missing something, that's probably what I'm going to do. Also considering adding a few levels of Fighter, but I'm not sure if the tradeoff (Bonus feats + 1 higher hit die for the cost of 4 fewer skill points, lower spells, a favored enemy, Camouflage, and a point off of Reflex/Will save) is worth it.

So, yeah. I'd appreciate tips on the build/feat selection for sure, but my real issue is that I'm hopeless on equipment especially for a high-level character. What sort of items are necessary for a character of this type to survive against any enemies appropriate for this party level?

Greenish
2013-02-20, 07:54 PM
Needs more Revenant Blade.

Spuddles
2013-02-20, 08:30 PM
I don't think it's particularly good, but I've always been curious as to what it would look like to have Two-weapon fighting along with Monkey Grip, Exotic weapon proficiency: Bastard sword and Oversized Two-weapon fighting. Then you can weild 2x Large Bastard swords. 4 levels of fighter should give you the feats you need and then you add in Weapon focus: Bastard sword (which you'd need) and Weapon Specialization and Improved Critical. You'd probably need two Gloves of storing to hold your extremely large weapons though. :smallsmile:

Ok, maybe not the best of builds but at least it would look cool!

There's a high level human NPC from a WotC book with nearly that identical build. He is also dating a Fire Giant. Something about having big hands or... something.

Soranar
2013-02-20, 10:59 PM
First of all, I'd like to point out that what you're asking is not easy.

optimization has many facets, race, alignment, even the deity your worship can severely limit our options.

You took those options away and you chose the least effective type of fighting styles on top of it

For example. If I were to play a ranger, I'd trade the fighting style for wildshape, worship mystra and take the sword of the arcane order feat to become a backup caster. I might also dip barbarian to get pounce. And I'm not even talking about races at this point.

in short, all we can suggest are templates and feats at this point

but anyway, I'll do what I can

First of all, the fighting style.

You have the 2 weapon fighting style for free, you might as well use it. The only good combo I can think of using that style (barring a precision damage build) is optimizing damage through enchantments.

Now there are a few decent ways to optimize this but they're not that great.

Throwing is not half bad at higher levels (since it requires a lot of feats to work properly) but enchanting that many items becomes problematic.

Tripping builds, using the high sword low axe feat, are not that bad either but the problem is tripping becomes less and less effective the higher in levels you go.

You do get access to lighting maces though, that will work. Due to the very nice weapon aptitude enchantment (only costs +1) any weapon you wield becomes a ''light mace'' as far as feats are concerned.

Because of this you want the following feat:

-combat reflexes
-TWF (which you already have)
-weapon focus (light mace) , which will work on the weapons you choose.
-lightning maces

In this case I recommend a kukri (off hand) and a rapier or scimitar (main hand). Enchant both with the weapon aptitude : light mace aptitude. You now have a pair of high threat weapons (18-20) that give you a bonus attack every time u roll 15 + (with keen or improved critical).

now, since we're maximizing attacks and we have the combat reflexes feat, you might as well take the double hit feat

basically, you can now make an AoO with both your weapons

So, so far , this is your build.

Hit people 4 times with your main hand, 3 times with the off hand. If any of those attacks is a threat for a crit, you get an extra attack

If anyone provokes an AoO, you can hit them twice

if those attacks are a threat for a crit, you get an extra attack

Now, your main problem is that you don't get pounce, but I have a trick for that. The trick being the lion's charge spell. Basically it gives your pounce as a swift action. Considering your level you get enough uses to get through most encounters. If you find you're using it too much, just put more uses in higher spellslots, it's only a level 2 spell so you'll have plenty of those.

Finally, if you're optimizing AoO, you'll want to optimize your reach.

Since you're Evil, you can take the willing deformity feat and then take the deformity feat: tall that lets gets you +5 ft reach.

In a similar vein, you can go full freak and take aberration blood + aberrant reach for another 5 ft reach.

So, with all of this in mind, here's your progression.

Level 1 willing deformity
Level 3 deformity: tall
Level 6 weapon focus : light mace
Level 9 combat reflexes
Level 12 lightning mace
Level 15 double hit
Level 18 aberrant blood

notice how you're missing feats to gain aberrant reach

well, here's how to gain more

first, you can take flaws, but it's DM approved so you'll have to talk to him about it

2nd, you can decide to worship and elder evil (gives you 5 feats from a restricted list but willing deformity is on it) but that would mean worshipping something worse than Hextor

at this point I'd recommend staying ranger as you'll get perfect TWF at level 21

as for alternate class features

trap expert tends to be way more useful than track (gives you disable device and search + the search trap option instead of track)

half-elf ranger substitution levels (found in the races of destiny book) are fairly good. You lose useless spells (assuming you take the trap expert option) and gain slightly better ones. The skill mastery option is also very useful (pick hide, move silently, search and disable device and you're good to go )

arcane hunter is also very good (spellcasters are legion at higher levels)

another good favored enemy is undead since that covers a LOT of monsters

enchantments for your weapons

as I mentioned, the weapon aptitude enchant is a must, it only costs you a +1 so go for it

if you're wondering what to buy, I'd look at bunko's bargain basement (found here : http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)

Finally, stat wise, here's what you want

14 wisdom (no more, no less)

then go for CON highest, STR second, INT third, DEX is 4th (try not to have a negative here), CHA is a complete dump stat

as for your animal companion, it's not that useful at higher levels. I'd trade him for an urban companion and use it as a scout (a hawk is very good at this)

Sayt
2013-02-21, 05:24 AM
My suggestion:

Two-weapon fighting needs a little work in 3.5. Going straight ranger would probably be unsatisfactory for this reason (you’d likely have to do something weird like fighting with a two-handed weapon and armour spikes).
My suggestion would be taking a level of barbarian with Lion Totem (Unearthed Aracana) to get Pounce. Then 3 or 4 levels of scout, and the rest as ranger to stay with your concept (you might want to switch these around a bit, but levels in Ranger get you your two-weapon fighting feats and keep up you BAB). Take the Complete Scoundrel feat Swift Hunter (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.dk/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html) (and Improved Skirmish, don’t rightly remember where that is). The idea then is to charge, which activates the scout’s Skirmish and allows full attacks at the same time.
You’re vulnerable as four-letter-word, but you can do some pretty decent damage, and surprise rounds in particular are cool for you. Swift Hunter allows you to Skirmish against things that are usually immune to Skirmish. And the whole thing should stay pretty close to your original concept.
Getting some miss chance on you is instrumental in staying alive if you charge something that doesn’t die. An Anklet of Translocation (Magic Item Compendium) helps get you into charging position.

I think you're referring to Lion Totem from Complete Champion, which gives poince. The Lion Totem from Unearthed Arcana does other stuff.

I do second the TWF skirmisher though.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-21, 09:32 AM
IF going with Soranar's build consider the feats Martial Study :any level 1 tiget claw maneuver and Martial Stance : Blood in the Water.

Every time you crit you get a stacking +1 to attack and damage that last until you fail to crit for more than 10 rounds.

white lancer
2013-02-21, 04:34 PM
Wow, looks like there's a lot of stuff I'm going to have to look into, haha. Thanks for the input. And yeah, I realize that this isn't going to be a fully optimized build, and that isn't really what I'm going for--if it was, I'd ditch half-elf and probably ranger altogether and focus on Tome of Battle. But I was mostly looking for the optimized feats/equipment/what have you within these specific parameters, and so hopefully all of this will help me in that. :)