PDA

View Full Version : [D&D3.5] Multiclass Reserve feat Question

NeeL
2013-02-14, 06:36 AM
Hi, I just came up with this, don't know if it's legal, can't find it in CC (didn't check CM) on Reserve Feats.

I'm a lvl 5 Druid and take a level Wizard with the reserve feat Storm Bolt.

Storm Bolt gives me +1 caster level for electric spells, while having a 3rd level electric spell prepared.

Can I prepare Call Lightning (Druid 3) to get a +1 CL on Shocking Grasp (Wizard 1)?

Later on, I want to Prestige Class to Stormcaster, of which the first level gives me +2 CL to various spells (sonic/electricity/air/water). I want to get a level Wizard instead of Druid before getting Stormcaster levels, because there aren't many Druid Spell which benefit greatly from higher caster level in damage output.

only1doug
2013-02-14, 07:44 AM
I don't think you need the spell prepared to gain the +1 caster level bonus.

IMO the feat gives two distinct and seperate benefits:
The primary benefit is the mini lightning bolt if you have a lightning spell prepared.
the secondary benefit is the +1 caster level on electricity spells (and is a permenant bonus, not reliant upon spells prepared).

NeeL
2013-02-14, 07:51 AM
The primary benefit is the mini lightning bolt if you have a lightning spell prepared.
the secondary benefit is the +1 caster level on electricity spells (and is a permanent bonus, not reliant upon spells prepared).

That would explain why it isn't described, thanks!

nedz
2013-02-14, 08:12 AM
I don't think that you need the level of Wizard — a level 5 Druid can take the feat anyway.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-14, 08:25 AM
I don't think you need the spell prepared to gain the +1 caster level bonus.That's correct; this is spelled out in the Complete Mage Reserve feat header. The primary benefit (the zapping of lightning, in this case) is dependant on the spell being in reserve. The secondary benefit (the +1 caster level to [electricity] spells in this case) is always active.

NeeL
2013-02-14, 08:29 AM
I don't think that you need the level of Wizard — a level 5 Druid can take the feat anyway.

Thanks, though the Wizard level is just to get Wizard spells. If I Prestige Class to Stormcaster with 6 (or 5) levels Druid, I will get Druid spells for the Stormcaster levels. With 5 Drd/1 Wiz, I can choose (per Stormcaster level?) whether I'll get more Druid spells or Wizard spells.

NeeL
2013-02-14, 08:32 AM
That's correct; this is spelled out in the Complete Mage Reserve feat header.
I hoped Complete Champion would be sufficient. Now I have to get me a Complete Mage as well. :)

only1doug
2013-02-14, 08:53 AM
Thanks, though the Wizard level is just to get Wizard spells. If I Prestige Class to Stormcaster with 6 (or 5) levels Druid, I will get Druid spells for the Stormcaster levels. With 5 Drd/1 Wiz, I can choose (per Stormcaster level?) whether I'll get more Druid spells or Wizard spells.

Strictly speaking you could enter as a L5 druid, enter stormcaster at L6 and take the L1 wizard at L7 and have the same options at L8.

I think that taking the Wizard level at L6 or earlier is probably the better choice, it would allow you to use your feat slot on practiced spellcaster to further pump your caster level.

NeeL
2013-02-14, 09:00 AM
Strictly speaking you could enter as a L5 druid, enter stormcaster at L6 and take the L1 wizard at L7 and have the same options at L8.

True, since a Stormcaster only gets additional spells with his second level. However, in my case I only have 1 rank in Knowledge(arcane), so I need a 6th level to get the other 3 pre-requested ranks. :)

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-14, 11:04 AM
I would warn you away from mixing casting classes, as higher spells are worth the loss of versatility, doubly so if you want to make use of reserve feats.

That being said, if you are mixing wizard and druid already consider arcane herophant, so stack your animal companion and familiar and allow no ASF in druid OK'd armor. It advances both spellcasting sets at once as well. Give your animal companion a good int score this way and bypass the need to teach it tricks.

NeeL
2013-02-14, 11:55 AM
I would warn you away from mixing casting classes, as higher spells are worth the loss of versatility, doubly so if you want to make use of reserve feats.

That being said, if you are mixing wizard and druid already consider arcane herophant, so stack your animal companion and familiar and allow no ASF in druid OK'd armor. It advances both spellcasting sets at once as well. Give your animal companion a good int score this way and bypass the need to teach it tricks.

Well, I'm a druid with the Spell Focus (conjuration), considering to NOT take Augment Summoning. Optimal usage in ways of a power built is lost anyway. This is my first character, and as I am learning more about the D&D world, my character switches interest.
The goal now is just being a Stormcaster with some extra zapping powers.
The lust for the power of storms might even backfire on my animal companion, resulting in its death or just the conclusion I'd better "set it free".
My party is not really gonna like my character.

And in a few month I might have come up with a totally other character development. I'm probably as chaotic as my character.

nedz
2013-02-14, 01:14 PM
Well, I'm a druid with the Spell Focus (conjuration), considering to NOT take Augment Summoning. Optimal usage in ways of a power built is lost anyway. This is my first character, and as I am learning more about the D&D world, my character switches interest.
The goal now is just being a Stormcaster with some extra zapping powers.
The lust for the power of storms might even backfire on my animal companion, resulting in its death or just the conclusion I'd better "set it free".
My party is not really gonna like my character.

And in a few month I might have come up with a totally other character development. I'm probably as chaotic as my character.

Well it's less optimal, but I'm sure you will be fine.
You will get optimisation advice here, but it's your character at the end of the day.
The whole point is to have fun anyway.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-14, 03:03 PM
Another option to point in your direction is the geomancer. It advances divine OR arcane casting and allows you to treat one as the other as you cast spells. It can open up some interesting options. A few levels would allow you to cast your arcane spells in druid armor or in wildshape with natural spell.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-14, 07:44 PM
I hoped Complete Champion would be sufficient. Now I have to get me a Complete Mage as well. :)
Err... you really don't. I referenced Complete Mage because you referenced Storm Bolt. The Complete Champion reserve feat header includes the same info. Page 53.