PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy some time

javijuji
2013-02-14, 07:34 AM
The situation is as follows. I am a lvl 3 artificer in some sort of arena where I have to fight 3 times a day. I am hoarding a lot of gold but I cant seem to find the time to sit down and craft some items. I am basically still using the same stuff I've had since level 1. I know about the hommunculus that crafts for me which I will be getting but this doesnt change the fact that I have very little down time so I still will be stuck with crafting only cheap items. I am trying to think of a way to be able to craft without time passing by.

The astral plane is supposed to be Timeless. Does this mean I can buy a scroll. UMD my way into it and craft as much as I please?

TwelvePointFive
2013-02-14, 09:26 AM
Have you spoken to your DM about this? It seems to me the most effective way of getting time for your pc would be a few days of rest, during which you could craft. Most DM's are quite understanding, and perhaps he or she is unaware that he is effectively gimping your character by running these scenarios.

Edit: If you have to aquire your time by RAW, there exists a highlevel spell that lets you create a demi-plane for yourself. You get to determine (amongst other things, the time-traits of that plane. So you could have each minute be say, a year or two. Then go there for crafting.)

javijuji
2013-02-14, 09:44 AM
My DM understands my situation but the truth is our party got itself into this situation by accepting 15 fights in the Arena for our freedom (Nobody tried to negotiate it). So I am stuck dealing with it. I thought about using Genesis but it seems to be a very expensive solution. Since I would have to travel to the ethereal plane first to be able to cast it. And being a lvl 9 spell it wont be cheap. Not to mention the very high UMD score required to active it.

Alienist
2013-02-14, 01:20 PM
All you need to be making items is 8 hours of leisure time per day, and the same conditions for spellcasters relearning their spells.

If you only fight 3x per day, unless each fight is 3 hours long I don't see what the problem is.

Note that the hours do not need to be contiguous. If you get two and a half hours between each fight, then you should be able to squeeze in four hours of crafting, and another two hours before and after the fights gets you to eight for the day (the maximum).

Bottom line is, if your party cleric and wizard can get their spells back each day you can craft.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-14, 03:30 PM
Yeah, unless you're fighting 24/7, you have time to craft.

Stay up a few nights to make the Homunculus, since your combat style doesn't need you to be well-rested anyway. Then you just have to keep people from smashing your adorable construct companion.

You can also see if your DM will work with you on either days off to craft, or allowing you to "cheat" craft times.

Silva Stormrage
2013-02-14, 07:05 PM
Craft some dedicated wrights too. While your fighting in the arena they can be crafting for you.

Acanous
2013-02-14, 08:22 PM
15 fights at 3/day is 5 days and one level.
You can craft up to 5,000 GP worth of magic items in that time.
With your Dedicated Wright, which you're getting just now, you craft him (Takes a day) and can now craft 8,000 GP of magic items.

You can make one heck of a lot of things. It'll cost you 4,000 GP and 320 XP, which should be *Five times* your craft reserve and more gold than you have WBL for. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming your group will donate you the gold to make items for them.

You very much have the crafting time. You don't need to make someone a +2 weapon, when you could instead make 4 +1 weapons. (Or outfit the entire party with a +1 armor and +1 shield, or make a few minor wonderous items.)

javijuji
2013-02-14, 09:18 PM
I have more than enough gold. The problem is I have no time to craft expensive stuff. Right now I have about 20k gold and another 25k in items (Which I could sell if I needed more money). Right now I am considering paying someone to fight for me .

Slipperychicken
2013-02-14, 09:41 PM
I have more than enough gold. The problem is I have no time to craft expensive stuff. Right now I have about 20k gold and another 25k in items (Which I could sell if I needed more money). Right now I am considering paying someone to fight for me .

We're serious, Dedicated Wrights work (ECS 285). The time spent crafting it may be interrupted, and you may continue normally after the interruption. You can, in fact, craft things even with very little time. After that, the Wright can build things for you while you adventure. You can even have several doing your work for you.

Day1: You build a Dedicated Wright, in addition to adventuring.

Day2: You build [something] or adventure, Dedicated Wright builds [something else].

SowZ
2013-02-14, 09:45 PM
I doubt you spend more than a couple minutes a day fighting. What's the problem?

javijuji
2013-02-14, 09:49 PM
The problem is my wealth is going up a lot faster than my crafting. I went from lvl 1 to 3 in 1 day and I am still using the same equipment I had when I was lvl 1. I am afraid by the time I reach lvl 5-6 I still wont have any worthwile investment in equipment.

Even if I craft more than 1 wright I would still be able to craft only 1000 gold in items per day. And my influx is a lot higher than that.

SowZ
2013-02-14, 10:00 PM
The problem is my wealth is going up a lot faster than my crafting. I went from lvl 1 to 3 in 1 day and I am still using the same equipment I had when I was lvl 1. I am afraid by the time I reach lvl 5-6 I still wont have any worthwile investment in equipment.

Even if I craft more than 1 wright I would still be able to craft only 1000 gold in items per day. And my influx is a lot higher than that.

That isn't an issue with your situation. It is an issue with your DMs rapid leveling hurting a crafting build. Fast leveling is fine, but there should be assumed down time between sessions that can be spent crafting or else crafting time should be reduced or else playing an artificer isn't really viable. Talking it out with your DM is the best plan.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-14, 10:41 PM
That isn't an issue with your situation. It is an issue with your DMs rapid leveling hurting a crafting build. Fast leveling is fine, but there should be assumed down time between sessions that can be spent crafting or else crafting time should be reduced or else playing an artificer isn't really viable. Talking it out with your DM is the best plan.

Seconded. See if your DM will let you make things faster (one item of any cost per day sounds entirely reasonable), to account for the campaign pacing.

Acanous
2013-02-14, 10:48 PM

Actually, you can have the Wright craft independantly. You can snack down 2k GP a day.
If you took the Craft Construct feat to build yourself more of them, you could have..

Let's see: Day 1: Craft a Wright.
Day 2: Craft another Wright. Wright crafts another Wright.
Day 3: You craft another Wright. Your 3 Wrights each craft another Wright.
Day 4: You craft 1k GP worth of stuff. Your 7 Wrights craft 7k GP of stuff.
Day 5: You craft 1k GP worth of stuff. Your 7 Wrights craft 7k GP of stuff.

Congratulations, you've just crafted 16k GP of stuff.

This has a limit of 2k on any one magic item, but that still means you can craft 4 +1 weapons, 4 +1 armors, and 4 +1 shields.

Also, since you just levelled, in 9 fights, you won't have gained another, so you get to blow all your craft reserve building things, ding on day 4, and blow the new craft reserve building new magic items.

Ta daa.