PDA

View Full Version : John Carter of Forgotten Realms

Pandoras Folly
2013-02-14, 10:06 AM
So I finally saw John Carter of Mars and I really liked, more to the point John was A PLAYER CHARACTER if I ever saw one. So how to duplicate his abilities, and the some. Doesn't have to be an exact copy, doesnt have to be straight non magic fighter.

id like to keep it LA +2 or less.

So Goliath for running start all the time to jump and +4 strength and treated as Large
For the class im not sure at all maybe fighter, no realideas

For prc War Hulk maybe, except forthe first no time think thing which is stupid for PCs, +20 to strength in 10 levels is pretty muchhow strong John is.

Im sure you guys can suggest better magical items than I can think of.

toapat
2013-02-14, 11:59 AM
note that John Carter takes place on Mars, with a human who normally has a 10-12 strength. Mars has just over 1/3rd the gravity of earth (Faerun has the same gravity despite being like twice the size of earth), giving John at lvl 1 an equivalent base strength of 30-36.

this gives him, with maxed ranks in jump, a +14-17 jump modifier. This gives him at least olympic level jumping ability.

Pandoras Folly
2013-02-14, 12:21 PM
Yeah in the movie he had a waaay better jump score than that. He was crazy strong compared to everyone else, unrealistically so

Oscredwin
2013-02-14, 01:43 PM
note that John Carter takes place on Mars, with a human who normally has a 10-12 strength. Mars has just over 1/3rd the gravity of earth (Faerun has the same gravity despite being like twice the size of earth), giving John at lvl 1 an equivalent base strength of 30-36.

I haven't seen the movie, but in the books John Carter was a soldier in near peak physical shape. I'd say 14-18 STR.

Side note: Tarzan had an 14ish str as a 10 year old and continued to improve as he got older. I would say that in the books he had an 22-24 str with no special gravity.

Deophaun
2013-02-14, 02:05 PM
Your character would also need some kind of feat/class ability where every random person he saved later turned out to be either a prince, princess, or king, regardless of where he saved them.

This is if you're going by the books.

toapat
2013-02-14, 04:56 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but in the books John Carter was a soldier in near peak physical shape.

Common Misconception: Peak Physical Shape is not a weightlifter, it suggests that he has 12/12/12 in his physical stats. a 20 in Str means ripplingly muscular without being disgusting.

Also, remember, ~1/3rd gravity means that you also triple his jump check results. now this wont get you the 40 vertical feet like in the books or movies, but i am considering within the limits of 3.5 and without cheese.

Person_Man
2013-02-14, 05:30 PM
Item Familiar can give you a bonus to any Skill equal to your class level +3.

If you're willing to make a bunch of custom magic items with differently typed bonuses, you can get pretty much any number you want (at a cost...)

There's five different soulmelds which provide a 4 + 2*essentia bonus to Jump (and usually one or two other Skills). They're all Insight or Competence bonuses though, so at most you can get 2 to work together. But hey, +12 to Jump at first level is pretty spiffy.

Leap of Heavens (and I think several PrC) lets you make a standing Jump as if its a running Jump.

Jump spell gives you +10 at level one, IIRC.

And that's just off the top of my head. Honestly, it's probably one of the easiest to optimize Skills. Google Jumplomancer and you'll find some fairly ridiculous numbers for it.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-02-14, 05:40 PM
Thri-Kreen get a racial +30 to Jump checks. Persist a jump spell for another +30. The Leap of the Heavens feat from PHB2 lets you ignore the running start. The Mental Leap feat from the XPH gets you another +10 if you expend your psionic focus.

Also, there is this: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870138/The_Jumplomancer_-_are_you_serious. Uses the Cheetah's Speed wild feat, Leap Attack, and the Shadow Template to get a massively fast charge, then uses the speed bonus to the jump check.

Oscredwin
2013-02-14, 05:42 PM
Common Misconception: Peak Physical Shape is not a weightlifter, it suggests that he has 12/12/12 in his physical stats. a 20 in Str means ripplingly muscular without being disgusting.

Also, remember, ~1/3rd gravity means that you also triple his jump check results. now this wont get you the 40 vertical feet like in the books or movies, but i am considering within the limits of 3.5 and without cheese.

Peak physical shape is more than a 12 in each stat. A 14 would be reasonable. Given how ERB wrote, he likely meant to imply something like 16/16/16 or better.

edit: But yeah, you should be able to re-flavor a templete for "born on a heavier world", or just reskin a goliath.

danzibr
2013-02-14, 05:56 PM
Hmm. I had no idea Faerun was low gravity.

Anyway, just dropping in to say I like the idea and am curious to see where it goes. Admittedly I haven't read more than like half of the first book (need to get on that).

Seharvepernfan
2013-02-14, 07:35 PM
Remember folks, strength improves exponentially in D&D. Tripling a str score of 14 doesn't give you 42, it gives you like 22 or so.

Morph Bark
2013-02-14, 07:43 PM

A Strength of 20 has x4 carrying capacity of one of 10. Most likely his Strength was increased by roughly 7.5 by going to Mars, rather than getting tripled.