PDA

View Full Version : [3.x] Looking to grab something like Arcane Channeling (from the Duskblade)

Ellrin
2013-02-14, 12:12 PM
In 3e, 3.5, or PF (official materials only), is there any way to cast spells and deliver them through melee strikes (like the Arcane Channeling feature of the Duskblade or the Spellstrike feature of the Magus) with the following restrictions?

Can not cost more than three feat slots (unless the feats required are otherwise no-brainers and/or synergize well with gish-ness).
Can not cost more than a one level dip.
Must be able to be applied to a pre-existing spell list.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-14, 12:18 PM
The smiting spell metamagic feat (PHII) is a +1 metamagic that allows you do that.

Ellrin
2013-02-14, 12:46 PM
And that... is pretty much exactly what I wanted. From the same book I was referencing, no less.

Good show! Also, way to fail, me.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-14, 12:55 PM
I suggest trying to find a way to reduce it to 0 cost (incantatrix maybe, it is a fairly low-powered use of it in any case) if only to be able to save some higher level slots (which in my experience are usually best used for buffs rather than attacks)

gomipile
2013-02-14, 02:20 PM
I suggest trying to find a way to reduce it to 0 cost (incantatrix maybe, it is a fairly low-powered use of it in any case) if only to be able to save some higher level slots (which in my experience are usually best used for buffs rather than attacks)

Think of it this way. The Duskblade only gets up to 5th level spells from a limited list. A full caster with Smiting Spell gets up to 8th level spells from a much bigger and better list. You lose out on the Arcane Channeling (full attack) option. That said, you can apply some mighty powerful touch range wiz/cleric spells with a whip dagger from a safe distance. Especially if you enlarge yourself and your DM rules that whip reach increases for large creatures.

Telonius
2013-02-15, 12:40 AM
Enlightened Fist from Complete Arcane can do it, but probably at a much heavier cost than you're willing to pay. (It's a good PrC to improve a Monk-like character, but also a great way to gimp a Wizard-like character).

Ellrin
2013-02-15, 12:50 AM

Even if I had space in the build to take eight levels of incantatrix, it doesn't look like improved metamagic lets you decrease the increased spell level lower than +1 for metamagic that increases spell level. I'm kind of unfamiliar with lowering metamagic costs outside of using rods, so I'm not sure what kinds of alternatives there are.

That said, incantatrix does look like a solid choice for a one level dip. 1 extra spell per day per spell level is never anything to sneeze at, especially since it only costs a single prohibited school instead of the usual two; plus the free metamagic feat.