PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Getting the most out of a Kitsune Sorcerer

Silus
2013-02-14, 12:54 PM
So I've built myself a Kitsune Rakshasa-Blooded Sorcerer, and I was wondering if there's anything I am overlooking at the moment.

She's level 2 at the moment and is built around Enchantments and Illusions (Going Veiled Illusionist when she hits level 6) with some heavy investment in Bluff and Disguise.

Ability scores are:
Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 10
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 18

Took the Spell Focus (Enchantment) feat, though I think I'll switch it out for the Realistic Likeness racial feat (acts like an infinite use-infinite duration Disguise Self from the looks of it). For Veiled Illusionist, I'll probably take Spell Focus (Illusion) at either level 3 or 5 with Spell Focus (Enchantment) whichever one is left.

Spells are:
0-Level
Read Magic, Detect Magic, Daze, Acid Splash and Disrupt Undead.

1st-level
Sleep, Mage Armor

I pick up Charm Person at level 3. I plan on switching out Daze and Sleep with a pair of Illusion spells, likely Ghost Sound and Silent Image, with the Bloodline spell netting me Illusion spell #3 at level 5 (Invisibility) and Charm Person at lvl 3.

Am I overlooking anything?

rockdeworld
2013-02-14, 01:35 PM
If you're using point buy, I'd swap your stats for the following:
Str 5/Dex 16/Con 14/Int 7/Wis 11/Cha 20
If not, I'd go with this:
Str 10/Dex 15/Con 14/Int 10/Wis 10/Cha 18
The first nets you 2 extra HP per level and +1 DC to your spells. The second only has the former at the cost of +1 to hit (because at level 4 you can put your +1 into Dex) and 1 skill rank per level (which you can overcome with favored class: sorcerer choosing skill ranks). If you don't think you can qualify for Veiled Illusionist's skill pre-reqs with that low of an Int score, drop Wisdom instead.

Since you want to focus on disguises, the Fast Shifter racial trait far outclasses Kitsune Magic for a sorcerer like you're planning to be.

This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/ogreslab/sorcerer-spell-selection) may help with spell selection.

Instead of Mage Armor, you may want Silent Image, in part to qualify for Veiled Illusionist, in part to play the theme of an illusionist. It also provides tons of utility outside of battle.

You're pretty spot on about Realistic Likeness, don't have anything to say about that.

Have fun!

Silus
2013-02-14, 03:26 PM
If you're using point buy, I'd swap your stats for the following:
Str 5/Dex 16/Con 14/Int 7/Wis 11/Cha 20
If not, I'd go with this:
Str 10/Dex 15/Con 14/Int 10/Wis 10/Cha 18
The first nets you 2 extra HP per level and +1 DC to your spells. The second only has the former at the cost of +1 to hit (because at level 4 you can put your +1 into Dex) and 1 skill rank per level (which you can overcome with favored class: sorcerer choosing skill ranks). If you don't think you can qualify for Veiled Illusionist's skill pre-reqs with that low of an Int score, drop Wisdom instead.

Since you want to focus on disguises, the Fast Shifter racial trait far outclasses Kitsune Magic for a sorcerer like you're planning to be.

This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/ogreslab/sorcerer-spell-selection) may help with spell selection.

Instead of Mage Armor, you may want Silent Image, in part to qualify for Veiled Illusionist, in part to play the theme of an illusionist. It also provides tons of utility outside of battle.

You're pretty spot on about Realistic Likeness, don't have anything to say about that.

Have fun!

Any tips on traits? I'm allowed 2 and I currently have Heirloom Weapon (Sword Cane)(Fluff reasons mostly, as she runs a carnival and a cane-type weapon seems appropriate) and Highlander for the Stealth accessibility. Gonna switch out Highlander for Two-World Magic so I can pick up a free Level-0 Illusion spell and keep Mage Armor (and pick up Silent Image next level).

Switched out Kitsune Magic for Swift Shifter and went with the stat-makeup of 8, 15, 14, 12, 10, 18. Switched out Skill Focus (Enchantment) for Realistic Likeness as well.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-15, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't take two-world magic to get an illusion spell, it's a waste of the trait. I would just take an illusion spell. Don't worry so much about cantrips, you're going to quickly run out of good ones to pick.

All casters would generally like to have:
- Reactionary: +2 to initiative
- Campaign: Outlander: Lore Seeker: So much win here
- The feats that give +1 bonuses to saves: There are many, some giving bonuses to will, some reflex, and some fortitude. Casters tend to have bad saves, so this might be a good way to help with that.
- Adopted -> Take a trait from another race: There are some good ones out there, and you might be able to fit that into your fluff. Like one that gives you a +1 to saves vs spells, SLAs, and poisons

A larger guide to traits (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dVQA-uI740Hh8vq-zsnbHV6UwJg-4QKlpmkxBEmCdhA/edit)

rockdeworld
2013-02-15, 09:02 AM
All casters would generally like to have:
- Reactionary: +2 to initiative
+1. My rule for Pathfinder traits is that all PF characters get 1 trait, and +2 to their initiative checks.

Keep in mind that you're playing a sorcerer (especially a sorcerer focused on enchantments and illusions), so 20 Cha is better than 15 Dex or 10 Wis (unless you're playing a solo campaign). AC is for people who get hit because they don't hide behind illusions/dominate their enemies from afar. That's the only change I'd make to your stats.