PDA

View Full Version : Spell Replacement

Heavydan85
2013-02-14, 01:50 PM
I was wondering when you take a prestige class do you still get to replace spells from previous classes if you get the spell level in the previous class (say a bard 6/lyric thermaturage 2 replacing a level 1 spell)?

Agincourt
2013-02-14, 02:06 PM
I would say yes. Most prestige classes have the same boilerplate language: "When a new [prestige class] level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class."

The ability to swap spells known is a subrule of the spells known rules for Bards and Sorcerers.

As always, confirm with your DM, but that's how I would rule it.

Curmudgeon
2013-02-14, 02:16 PM
The ability to swap spells known is a subrule of the spells known rules for Bards and Sorcerers.
That's not quite right. The spells known rules, and the spell swap rules, are both subcategories of the Spells rules section in those class descriptions.

Inclusion of the "spells known" section doesn't extend to the "spell swap" section of the rules. An individual DM could be generous and make a house rule to allow it, but there's no actual requirement here.

Heavydan85
2013-02-14, 08:33 PM
The DM wasn't sure either. I'll just ask if it comes up.