PDA

View Full Version : allow a ranger a full animal companion?

silverwolfer
2013-02-14, 03:42 PM
what would it do to a ranger, if you allowed it a full druid comparable animal companion versus that one they get at level 4

Namfuak
2013-02-14, 03:46 PM
what would it do to a ranger, if you allowed it a full druid comparable animal companion versus that one they get at level 4

I'd take it one step further - allow them the full companion, and take it away from druids. Also, I would probably give ranger 1 sneak attack or skirmish progression every 3 levels.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-14, 03:46 PM
It would make it much more useful, though it would still be weaker than a druid's companion since Ranger don't have access to many buffs that Druids can share with their companion.

Frankly I have consider switching the AC progression, giving Rangers the full AC and letting druids get an AC with equivalent Ranger level of half/druid level and they get it at level 4. They still have spells and wildshape so nobody should complain about it.

Darrin
2013-02-14, 03:53 PM

I would recommend this in a heartbeat. Otherwise the Ranger's animal companion is a bloodsmear waiting ot happen.

If your group allows flaws, there's a flaw called "Loner" (Dragon #327) that removes the Ranger's animal companion. You can then add it back by taking the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat, which gives it something more equivalent to the strength of a druid's animal companion.

You can also trade your animal companion for the Distracting Attack ACF and then pick up Wild Cohort with one of your usual feats, or dip into Beastmaster, Beast Heart Adept, etc.