PDA

View Full Version : Domain Access Query

Ruethgar
2013-02-14, 03:59 PM
I was wondering what kind of spells the Domain Access option for sorcerers give as far as being considered arcane/divine and prepared/spontaneous. I'm leaning toward spontaneous divine but I'm not sure.

Domain Access
Your depth of belief allows you to channel divine power the way a cleric does. By doing so, you gain access to a single cleric domain.
Level: 5th.
Replaces: To gain this benefit, you do not learn a new lst-level sorcerer spell and a new 2nd-level sorcerer spell at 5th level. From now on, you know one less sorcerer spell that you can cast at each subsequent level (not counting the domain spells from this alternative class feature).
Benefit: Choose one cleric domain. If you worship a specific deity, the domain you choose must be one to which your deity grants access. You gain the granted power of the chosen domain. In addition, you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain.

Edit: DM ruling was that Complete Divine and other sources listed the spells as arcane as the exception, not the rule. As such Domain Access gives me divine spells.

Fouredged Sword
2013-02-14, 04:16 PM
The Inquisition domain could be fun in you want to dispell magic / greater dispell magic.

You would have to give a pressing reason not to have just taken Planer touchstone (cataloges of enlightenment) though, as one spell known per level is not worth one feat in most cases. Knowledge (the plains) is a class skill and the feat can be obtained at 6th level.

That said get a runestaff with Substitute Domain in it.

Cast it to change your domain for a bit - Craft a runestaff with those domain spells. Rinse, and repeat until you have all the spells you want in runestaves, the psychic reformation the ACF away to regain

Ruethgar
2013-02-14, 05:18 PM
Suggestions for what domain to take and alternate options are all fine and well, but I was wondering what type of spell the domain spells are. Are they cast as divine spells, arcane spells, prepared as a cleric or spontaneous as a sorcerer.

Story
2013-02-14, 05:36 PM
I think it's spontaneous arcane. That's the way it would normally be, and I don't see anything specifically saying it's divine.

Arcane Disciple and the Complete Divine Prcs both give you domain spells as arcane for instance.

Ruethgar
2013-02-14, 06:24 PM
The Complete Divine adds to spells known as opposed to adding the cleric domain class feature. Furthermore, they "channel divine energies" which seems to suggest more of a direct divine source of power than learning magic from a snake or having prophetic visions.

Story
2013-02-14, 08:28 PM
Actually they don't add to spells known, they give you the domain, complete with power. And if you're a Wizard, you still have to scribe the spells.

Ruethgar
2013-02-14, 08:44 PM
So they do... don't have to tell the DM that though, might change his mind and I want at least one cheesy cheese monger character. Mystic Thurge time!

Curmudgeon
2013-02-14, 08:57 PM
Actually they don't add to spells known, they give you the domain, complete with power. And if you're a Wizard, you still have to scribe the spells.
You must be confusing this with some other option. Domain Access is a Sorcerer-only ACF in Complete Champion.
Your depth of belief allows you to channel divine power the way a cleric does.
Sorcerers normally cast arcane spells, but since domain granted powers don't necessarily involve channeling anything, this statement in Domain Access can only mean that the spells granted from the domain are divine.

I don't buy your DM's reasoning, but the result seems to be correct.

Story
2013-02-14, 09:51 PM
I interpreted the "channel divine power" part as fluff, rather than rules, and pointed out that other sources which grant domains grant them as arcane, lending support to the idea that RAI they should be arcane. But you're free to rule differently.

Ruethgar
2013-02-15, 12:55 AM
I generally look at the rules more RAW than RAI which was why I was leaning toward Curmudgeon's analysis. Also that little bit about how "a sorcerer open[s] a channel to a new reservoir of energy" suggesting further that it is not arcane they are channeling but a different source.

DM most often goes with what feels right and he didn't like the idea of healing being arcane but didn't want to contradict clearly stated rules and so called those in Complete Divine and Quintessential Sorcerer the listing of exception to the generally holy nature of domains granted by gods.