PDA

View Full Version : Suggest some interesting classes for (potential) enemy NPCs

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-02-14, 04:46 PM
In the game I'm running, there is a group of NPCs with unclear (but likely shadey) goals who will help or oppose the PCs depending on the situation (though they've never had to oppose them openly). They use magic items (mostly a refluffed hat of disguise but there are a few other little trinkets) to appear visually identical in order to hide the size of their organization but each has a distinct voice, personality and character build.

Only a few have been featured enough to interact with the PCs so I only have them statted out. I'm looking for each to have his own "style" so I could use suggestions regarding interesting classes/prestige classes. The only real restriction is that (for plot reasons) none of them is a prepared arcane spellcaster. (Prepared divine is a gray area, but can be made to work.) Besides that, I'm open to nearly anything. Homebrew classes are welcome if they're interesting enough and reasonably balanced

So far, I have a sorcerer gish (with abjurant champion 5 and a few less interesting PrC levels,) a mindspy and a beguiler (with a mind bender dip). Each should have about 10-13 class levels. I'd kind of like an archer/sniper of some sort, but that isn't set in stone.

White_Drake
2013-02-14, 05:04 PM
Spellthief might be cool, assuming that the party has a caster.

Xenogears
2013-02-14, 05:15 PM
Dragon Flame Adept has enough personality just in the class itself to work for most things.

A Dungeon Crasher that uses Fling Enemy to toss people into walls would be cool although not terribly mechanically powerful.

If you don't mind using 3.0 you could do an Iaijutsu Master/Rogue. Tons of damage in the first round (or two if they get a surprise round) but then much weaker after. Or skip the rogue and make it Barb/IaiMstr but make them think it's a rogue so they underestimate how durable they are.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-14, 05:25 PM
There was a 3rd party diplomat class out there...Courtier? Anyway, it was basically a mix of aristocrat and Diplomancer with oriental feel, and some crazy bonuses to social interaction stuff.

Anyway, it would make a nice baseclass for an NPC build focused on manipulating others, mastermind, power-behind-the-throne, or similar concepts.

Marshal can obviously be a very powerful enemy NPC in large battle settings. Some big cinematic battles can fit well into certain types of campaigns.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-02-14, 06:08 PM
Spellthief might be cool, assuming that the party has a caster.Interesting. I'd heard of spellthief but never really looked at it. A question: once a spellthief gets the ability to steal higher level spells, can he pick the spell level he's aiming for or is it completely random? Basically, if a 9th level spellthief hits an 8th level wizard and doesn't try to steal somthing specific, would he be just as likely to get Read Magic as Solid Fog?

Other suggestions look cool too. Thanks much and keep them coming.

White_Drake
2013-02-14, 07:57 PM
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. The way I understand it, you say what spell you want, and if your opponent has it you get that spell. If he doesn't, you get a randomly determined spell of the same level. However, at 13th level whenever you steal a spell from somebody you know all their spells of that level.

subject42
2013-02-14, 08:09 PM
If you want to drive your players insane with uncertainty, use a Binder and a Factotum, and maybe a Rogue/Chameleon. The versatility of each class should leave them guessing.

Krobar
2013-02-14, 08:34 PM
Sometimes works with them, sometimes against them?

How about a smoking hot Paladin of Tyranny that worships Fierna?

Shining Wrath
2013-02-14, 08:46 PM
Ranger / Scout blend for your pointy stick launcher?
If they are going to be a "party" as in "might go toe to toe with characters en masse" then you'll need someone who can literally go toe to toe. I think a Master of Nine might be the ticket as they would have many different ways to fight, especially if the base class was Swordsage and took some Shadow Hand stuff.