PDA

View Full Version : Anybody has the cure for Nostalgia Blues?

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-14, 08:18 PM
Im feeling the nostalgia blues after hearing videogame music from my childhood. Anybody have a cure?

JoshL
2013-02-14, 08:51 PM
I usually just go with it. Replay old games, dig out old records, maybe chat with an old friend. Enjoy those nostalgia blues for a little while!

As far as breaking out of it, I always get excited about something new. Read about and listen to music I know nothing about, play a new game or read a book I had never heard of. New stuff is pretty awesome too, and these days are just as good as the good old days!

Traab
2013-02-14, 09:29 PM
Look up the nostalgia critic on youtube. Maybe angry video game nerd. He does a lot of classic games. Nostalgia critic does all the old movies. Try looking up Disneycember. Its a review of every disney movie since snow white, minus all pixar type stuff. If you are like me, the near 4 hours of reviews will remind you of films you havent thought of in YEARS!

ngilop
2013-02-14, 09:33 PM
play the game is my only suggesstion.

that or cry and wonder why game aren't as cool anymore (whether or not thats ture) LOL

Red_Lava
2013-02-14, 09:43 PM
Im feeling the nostalgia blues after hearing videogame music from my childhood. Anybody have a cure?

{scrubbed}

Pyromancer999
2013-02-14, 10:15 PM
Play the game. Does wonders.

Prince_Ornstein
2013-02-25, 06:08 PM
enjoy it...i associate blues with being sad or losing something though, so i could see if you had the urge to play a game and no longer had the system or some such thing in which case that would cause me a great pain. just thinking of the good games i use to play makes me want to dust of my snes and grab a can of Pringles

noparlpf
2013-02-25, 07:23 PM

If you still have the game, play it. Says the guy who blew his entire Saturday playing a GBC game when he had a quantum physics exam to do.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-26, 03:38 AM
Ah. Just played Megaman Battle network 6.....Now I want to play the third game.

Jay R
2013-02-26, 10:53 AM
The cure for wanting to do something is to do it.

I routinely listen to songs from the 60s again on youtube.

inuyasha
2013-03-03, 07:30 PM
{scrubbed}

Karoht
2013-03-14, 11:23 AM
I have had the WORST hankering for a playthough of Ratchet and Clank. As in the whole series. I can fly though the games, no problem, though my free time is limited these days. My issue stems from the fact that my PS3 won't play PS2 games so I have to hook up my PS2 which is a pain in the butt to do on my TV/Entertainment unit. And I need the free time.

As for the nostalgia factor, it isn't a bad thing.
I remember back in the day when Super Mario 3 came out. I got it for my 8th birthday, on the release day. I was the first kid at my school to own it. My gaming rival, Troy Saltenrich, got the game 3 days later. I beat the game weeks ahead of him (I did full playthrough, he did warp whistles), and believe me I savored that victory. I had kids at school asking me how to beat levels or the routes through the pipe mazes or how to find the boss in some of the mini-boss castles. It was great. I did the multi-playthrough's trick, each time the inventory is filled with different goodies. Having 25 Tanooki Suits was pretty cool, but 25 Hammer Brother Suits was pretty awesome, though it took me weeks to get to that point. No save feature so I had to turn off the TV and stick the NES in a drawer so no one would see the power light still on.
I play the game years later. It is 100% the same game, but I find it hard to evoke that feeling I had playing it. It's still great, I still love it, but the memory is better than the real thing.

Enjoy the nostalgia. Re-live the glory when you can.

Negativethac0
2013-03-14, 11:46 PM
I have had the WORST hankering for a playthough of Ratchet and Clank. As in the whole series. I can fly though the games, no problem, though my free time is limited these days. My issue stems from the fact that my PS3 won't play PS2 games so I have to hook up my PS2 which is a pain in the butt to do on my TV/Entertainment unit. And I need the free time.

As for the nostalgia factor, it isn't a bad thing.
I remember back in the day when Super Mario 3 came out. I got it for my 8th birthday, on the release day. I was the first kid at my school to own it. My gaming rival, Troy Saltenrich, got the game 3 days later. I beat the game weeks ahead of him (I did full playthrough, he did warp whistles), and believe me I savored that victory. I had kids at school asking me how to beat levels or the routes through the pipe mazes or how to find the boss in some of the mini-boss castles. It was great. I did the multi-playthrough's trick, each time the inventory is filled with different goodies. Having 25 Tanooki Suits was pretty cool, but 25 Hammer Brother Suits was pretty awesome, though it took me weeks to get to that point. No save feature so I had to turn off the TV and stick the NES in a drawer so no one would see the power light still on.
I play the game years later. It is 100% the same game, but I find it hard to evoke that feeling I had playing it. It's still great, I still love it, but the memory is better than the real thing.

Enjoy the nostalgia. Re-live the glory when you can.

That got me thinking about my childhood. As I grew old enough to attend after school classes, I remember they had Super Mario 3 on their Nintendo and how much I'd grinded it back home. I could almost complete it in my sleep.
All the 'cool and bigger kids' pretty much hogged the machine and I remember how much they obviously sucked at the game, not knowing about the flutes and got eaten by the huge fish in World 3 etc. So I got brave and challenged them, said that I'd show them how it was done. Needless to say, it resulted in a roar of laughter.

I'll never forget the collective expression of their faces afterwards.
Such an awesome game.