PDA

View Full Version : Best Weapon Special Abilities for Unarmed Strike

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-14, 08:22 PM
I may have a chance to enchant my monk's unarmed strike as a weapon, potentially via necklace of natural weapons from Savage Species.

Since I don't want to spend the better part of two days trawling through books and .pdfs, I thought I'd ask y'all what are good things enchant a monk's unarmed strike with?

Sizing and morphing are probably too weird to fly, though I appreciate the cheese that follows sizing around.

Thanks for the help. I know someone out there has the knowledge or resources and can give good advice. GO FORUM!

Derpldorf
2013-02-14, 08:33 PM
Throwing, teleporting, explosive. ;)

Curmudgeon
2013-02-14, 08:41 PM
Because you've only got 3/4 BAB, increasing your attack bonus is the big win; you really want to avoid the flurry of misses. You can do the bulk of that separately with a Greater Magic Fang spell + Permanency. However, you'll get further benefit with Magebane. If your Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a) is +1 Magebane, and you've got Greater Magic Fang separately giving your unarmed strike a +5 bonus, you'll be at +7 for both attack and damage vs. any arcane spellcaster.

Xenogears
2013-02-14, 08:50 PM
Because you've only got 3/4 BAB, increasing your attack bonus is the big win; you really want to avoid the flurry of misses. You can do the bulk of that separately with a Greater Magic Fang spell + Permanency. However, you'll get further benefit with Magebane. If your Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a) is +1 Magebane, and you've got Greater Magic Fang separately giving your unarmed strike a +5 bonus, you'll be at +7 for both attack and damage vs. any arcane spellcaster.

For some reason I read this as "Megabane" and was quite excited for a moment there....

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-14, 09:02 PM

I should have mentioned that we are already at epic levels. Between my own skills and the party bard/sublime chord, my attack is actually quite high (+30 with just items, before I roll Knowledge Devotion, and I really can't get less than a +3 insight from it...int-based monk). Money is no longer an object.

The GMW/GMF trick is a good one, not sure I'll use permanency, since I am fairly likely to wander into AMFs/dead magic zones (major plane hopping going on). I will likely get a high CL wand of GMW made and just use that at the start of the day, when I get greater mighty wallop'd.

Where can I find teleporting and explosive weapon special qualities? Does magebane work on creatures with SLAs? (seems not)

EDIT: Grey Elf Monk 17/conjurer 1/abjurant champ 3, using lots of teleport and fast movement type stuff. Int-build, using Dex for attack. Low-Mid-op, obviously.

Derpldorf
2013-02-14, 09:36 PM
Teleporting is from Expanded Psionics, Explosive is from Complete Warrior. But frankly, at epic my whole ... Rocket Fist isn't really all that powerful.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-14, 09:38 PM
Teleporting is from Expanded Psionics, Explosive is from Complete Warrior. But frankly, at epic my whole ... Rocket Fist isn't really all that powerful.

Bonus points for flavor, though!:smallcool:

The Viscount
2013-02-15, 02:42 AM
I'm assuming throwing returning fists are also out. Keen might be worth considering, if only because you are making so many unarmed strikes. Vorpal really isn't worth it, but if you want to punch of guy's heads, it'd be pretty funny. Note that both of these depend on you taking versatile unarmed strike and your DM allowing it to count for weapon properties. Alternatively, you can just get impact on them to improve crit range. If your DM does allow you to use versatile unarmed strike to qualify, you can add stuff like impaling (3/day resolve as touch). Warning is great, as is eager, because who doesn't like going first? The idea of fleshgrinding fists is just too funny. I personally like the reliability of collision but I know it's too dull for most, and the untyped damage doesn't really help its pricy +2 cost. That's all I can think of.

Rubik
2013-02-15, 02:53 AM
I'm assuming throwing returning fists are also out.If you think of it more as throwing your entire body at your enemies and kicking them in the head a la Liu Kang, throwing, returning, and distance could all easily work. (Returning would just return you to your original spot, if you deign to use it.) Plus if you hurl yourself around with the distance property and Far Shot, imagine how far you can flurry yourself around the world, aiming for 5' spaces (AC 5) instead of just foes.

Also try ghost touch. Since it affects your entire body, you now count as both material and ethereal simultaneously, depending on whatever suits your needs best at any given instant.

Phelix-Mu
2013-02-15, 09:19 PM
I'm assuming throwing returning fists are also out. Keen might be worth considering, if only because you are making so many unarmed strikes. Vorpal really isn't worth it, but if you want to punch of guy's heads, it'd be pretty funny. Note that both of these depend on you taking versatile unarmed strike and your DM allowing it to count for weapon properties. Alternatively, you can just get impact on them to improve crit range. If your DM does allow you to use versatile unarmed strike to qualify, you can add stuff like impaling (3/day resolve as touch). Warning is great, as is eager, because who doesn't like going first? The idea of fleshgrinding fists is just too funny. I personally like the reliability of collision but I know it's too dull for most, and the untyped damage doesn't really help its pricy +2 cost. That's all I can think of.

There are some good ideas in there. Warning is definitely on my short list. So far I have transmuting (DM didn't go for shadow striking on my unarmed strike:smallsigh: ), shattermantle, and that's it. Might also go for sacred, since those are the favorite targets of my monk (fiends and undead).