PDA

View Full Version : Save or Die Sorcerer

Cranthis
2013-02-14, 11:06 PM
As the title says, I am building a save or die sorcerer.

Race: Loredrake Dragonwrought Magic Blooded Kobold.
Level: 6
Feats: haven't decided yet. Using flaws as well.
Abilities: 11, 10, 10, 10, 8, 21.
Familiar: Hummingbird
Using a homebrew trait Too Pretty to Die (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Too_pretty_to_die_(3.5e_Trait))

Casts spells as a 9th level sorcerer, thanks to Loredrake and Greater Draconic rite.

What I need help with is save or die spell selection. I've made high damage characters before, but never a save or die.

Postmodernist
2013-02-14, 11:26 PM
Crikey, that Trait is profoundly unbalanced.

Cranthis
2013-02-14, 11:33 PM
Crikey, that Trait is profoundly unbalanced.

Extremely, but for some reason or another my dm allows it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-14, 11:42 PM
Power Word: Pain plus Fell Drain Spell and possibly a Lesser Rod of Extend is almost guaranteed to kill anything at this level, no save.

I'll throw out my obligatory Sorcerer spells known trick (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4).

Dragon Breath plus Blinding Breath is a Reflex save or lose. Grab Incantatrix for Persistent Three Thunders Dragon Breath, which requires Snowcasting. Summon Component in CM can help set that up if you don't have any snow handy.

Next level pick up Flesh to Ice from Frostburn. Combine it with Snowcasting and get your opponents' clothing wet with freezing water somehow to add +10 to the DC (Frostburn p10).

Also consider adding on Unseelie Fey from Dragon Compendium, you would go from Humanoid to Fey and then to Dragon via Dragonwrought. The Winter's Chill aspect from that imposes a penalty on saving throws equal to your Cha bonus to every adjacent opponent, and it grants flight for no level adjustment.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-14, 11:58 PM
Sounds profoundly boring. Everything should either die immediately or render your action worthless. Also has the side-effect of encouraging your DM to use save-or-die against the party.

Sylthia
2013-02-15, 12:10 AM
Does the rest of your party know about this trait? There's almost no reason not to take it for any character, letting you turn Dex and Con into semi-dump stat level. That level of brokenness may lead to jealousy and/or annoyance from the rest of the party. Does your DM have much experience? Might want to make a back-up build in case your DM changes his mind about that trait.

Spuddles
2013-02-15, 12:18 AM
If you have feats floating around, spell focus & shadow weave magic can be helpful. Normally you want metamagic as a sorc, but the only one you really need is heighten if all you do is cast SoDs.

Power Word: Pain plus Fell Drain Spell and possibly a Lesser Rod of Extend is almost guaranteed to kill anything at this level, no save.

I'll throw out my obligatory Sorcerer spells known trick (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4).

Dragon Breath plus Blinding Breath is a Reflex save or lose. Grab Incantatrix for Persistent Three Thunders Dragon Breath, which requires Snowcasting. Summon Component in CM can help set that up if you don't have any snow handy.

Next level pick up Flesh to Ice from Frostburn. Combine it with Snowcasting and get your opponents' clothing wet with freezing water somehow to add +10 to the DC (Frostburn p10).

Also consider adding on Unseelie Fey from Dragon Compendium, you would go from Humanoid to Fey and then to Dragon via Dragonwrought. The Winter's Chill aspect from that imposes a penalty on saving throws equal to your Cha bonus to every adjacent opponent, and it grants flight for no level adjustment.

Let me just say that you are one of my favorite optimizers of all time. I love that you're still finding dirty tricks in 3.5. It warms my heart.

Does the rest of your party know about this trait? There's almost no reason not to take it for any character, letting you turn Dex and Con into semi-dump stat level. That level of brokenness may lead to jealousy and/or annoyance from the rest of the party. Does your DM have much experience? Might want to make a back-up build in case your DM changes his mind about that trait.

I suspect it's a rather high power game. Also, charisma is a dump stat if you are a lolth touched half minotaur dragonborn water orc fist of the forest. Which is what I would run alongside such a sorc.

Cranthis
2013-02-15, 12:23 AM

I'm going to talk to him about it, to make sure he knows exactly what he is allowing. If it changes (It probably will) I'll be shifting some stats around, 32 point buy, or rolling them up.

Cranthis
2013-02-15, 12:24 AM

The only problem with this, is trying to use an exalted feat on a character who would have to be evil.

Spuddles
2013-02-15, 12:29 AM
Ancestral Weapon isn't [Exalted], it just requires a good alignment.

Crake
2013-02-15, 12:38 AM
I'm quite suprised that your DM okayed loredrake since there's no raw evidence pointing to dragonwrought kobolds being true dragons.

Spuddles
2013-02-15, 12:42 AM
I'm quite suprised that your DM okayed loredrake since there's no raw evidence pointing to dragonwrought kobolds being true dragons.

That's not true. One of the (many) traits of being a true dragon is the dragon type and having age categories from wyrmling to great wyrm, both of which dragonwrought kobolds have.

However, this thread isn't about dragonwrought discussion, so we should probably cease derailing it.

Cranthis
2013-02-15, 01:12 AM
We aren't doing this here.

That's not true. One of the (many) traits of being a true dragon is the dragon type and having age categories from wyrmling to great wyrm, both of which dragonwrought kobolds have.

However, this thread isn't about dragonwrought discussion, so we should probably cease derailing it.
As above.

Ancestral Weapon isn't [Exalted], it just requires a good alignment.
Well, thats almost the same thing. Its slightly less roleplay intensive. But still. The Unseelie fey requires evil.

Cranthis
2013-02-15, 01:44 AM
Ok, so dm came to his senses about the trait. My scores are now:
8, 15, 12, 12, 8, 20

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-15, 09:03 AM
Well, thats almost the same thing. Its slightly less roleplay intensive. But still. The Unseelie fey requires evil.

Unseelie Fey starts you out as evil, but nothing says you'd be incapable of changing that. Starting at 6th level and venerable age gives you plenty of time for a story of redemption.

Cranthis
2013-02-15, 09:10 AM
Unseelie Fey starts you out as evil, but nothing says you'd be incapable of changing that. Starting at 6th level and venerable age gives you plenty of time for a story of redemption.

Its also a story of no matter what I tell him, the dm for some reason thinks I would need a 10% exp penalty.