PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A couple of questions because my memory has failed me.

Malak'ai
2013-02-14, 11:28 PM
Okay, so these might be pretty simple and straight forward questions to answer, but as said in the title, my memory has completely failed me.
I can't remember the answers, or which book the answers might even be in :smalleek:.

The first question is, is there an armour property (magical or augment crystal) that lightens the weight of the armour it's put on?
I'm 90% sure I've seen it somewhere. Reduces the weight by 50% and lessens the movement speed penalty to that of an armour one category lower.

Second, is there a easy and cost effective way of increasing a weapons crit multiplier?
Now, this one I'm not sure about but I have a very vague recollection of hearing about it somewhere.

If anyone can answer these it would be great!

Karnith
2013-02-14, 11:32 PM
The first question is, is there an armour property (magical or augment crystal) that lightens the weight of the armour it's put on?
I'm 90% sure I've seen it somewhere. Reduces the weight by 50% and lessens the movement speed penalty to that of an armour one category lower.
I don't know of an armor enchantment that does that, but there is a special material. Mithral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm) can be used to create (metal) armor that is treated as one category lighter than usual, reduces the armor's weight by 50 percent, and in addition reduces the arcane spell failure chance by 10 percent, reduces the armor check penalty by 3, and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus by 2.

MeiLeTeng
2013-02-14, 11:32 PM

There's making it out of Mithral

*edit* Ninja'd

Chilingsworth
2013-02-14, 11:37 PM
To the first question:

There's the halfweight property out of the Forgotten Realms Underdark book. There's also the easy travel armor, most recently printed in the Magic Item Compendium, which iirc lets you travel in medium armor as if it were light armor. There's also the nimble armor property, most recently printed in the MIC, that reduces the armor check penalty of the armor by 2, and increases the maximum dexterity bonus by 1.

to the second question: None that I'm aware of that survived the transition from 3.0 to 3.5.

Malak'ai
2013-02-14, 11:47 PM
I don't know of an armor enchantment that does that, but there is a special material. Mithral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm) can be used to create (metal) armor that is treated as one category lighter than usual, reduces the armor's weight by 50 percent, and in addition reduces the arcane spell failure chance by 10 percent, reduces the armor check penalty by 3, and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus by 2.

The armour is already going to be made out of Mithral :smallwink:.

To the first question:

There's the halfweight property out of the Forgotten Realms Underdark book. There's also the easy travel armor, most recently printed in the Magic Item Compendium, which iirc lets you travel in medium armor as if it were light armor. There's also the nimble armor property, most recently printed in the MIC, that reduces the armor check penalty of the armor by 2, and increases the maximum dexterity bonus by 1.

Thank you! I'll go look at those now :smallbiggrin:.

HunterOfJello
2013-02-14, 11:54 PM
Mithril (DMG) and Blue Ice (Frostburn) for armor. Darkwood is usually best for shields. Blue Ice is a cheaper version of Mithril for people who aren't hurt by cold damage.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-14, 11:57 PM
I should note, the Halfweight property is described as working because of the materials used in the armor's construction. Because of this, one of my DM's ruled that it can't be stacked with speical materials. (totally RAW wrong, but I didn't feel like dinging the cover of my PHB by bashing his head in with it at the time.):smallwink:

In any event, it's conceivable that other DM's might make similiar rulings.

Malak'ai
2013-02-15, 12:10 AM
Okay, should have put this in the OP.
I know about Mithral, I wasn't looking for Armour Special Materials but Special Properties, the likes of Halfweight that Chillingsworth pointed out.

@Chillingsworth: If there was a way of increasing the Crit multiplier in 3.0 I'd still like to know, I could probably argue to get it allowed.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-15, 12:16 AM
Okay, should have put this in the OP.
I know about Mithral, I wasn't looking for Armour Special Materials but Special Properties, the likes of Halfweight that Chillingsworth pointed out.

@Chillingsworth: If there was a way of increasing the Crit multiplier in 3.0 I'd still like to know, I could probably argue to get it allowed.

Well, there's the weapon master PrC, out of sword and fist and oriental adventures, iirc. It eventually gets a multiplier increase for the character's chosen weapon, along with an increase in threat range that stacks with improved critical (though with a lesser effect, iirc.) Of course, in 3.0, keen and improved crit stacked. Kinda stupid that they changed that, I think. I mean, it's not like weapon using classes are particularly strong even with that.

That method isn't what I'd call "cheap" or "easy" though.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-15, 12:31 AM
Also, I was just reminded of Kaorti Resin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) weapons. I believe that's also 3.0, having been printed in 2003. And even if it isn't, it requires contact with Far Realm entities to keep it from disintegrating over time.

The Viscount
2013-02-15, 02:46 AM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but nimbleness increases max dex bonus by 1 and decreases armor check penalty by 2.

Kaorti resin is difficult, but workable. I don't know that there are any other multiplier increasing means.

shaikujin
2013-02-15, 07:06 AM
If it's just weight you are concerned about,

1) Feycraft armor template (DMG2) reduces weight by 10%
2) Buoyant is a +1 property (Stormwrack pg 128) that halves the weight
3) Lightweight (Dragon 358 pg 41) reduces weight by 20% (or by 1 lb whichever is more)
4) Halfweight has already been mentioned

shaikujin
2013-02-15, 07:50 AM
Increasing crit mutiplier is a bit more difficult.

Kaorti Resin is the least ambiguous method and has already been mentioned.

Other alternatives:

1) Tiger Fang is a Legacy Weapon (so has some terrible rules) from Tome of Battle pg 144. It increases the crit multiplier as it "levels" up. First increase is to x3, second increase is to x4. Note that your DM may rule that it doesn't stack due to how it is worded by RAW.

But it is a Kukri though, that means a nice default crit range of 18-20.

Use the Mutable Legacy rules in Weapon of Legacy to trade out the abilities you do not want for the morphing and sizing abilities. Turn it into any weapon you want.

If you reverse engineer the crit multiplier increases (say you are allowed to create your own Legacy Weapon), the first increase is a Menu E ability, the second is a Menu I ability.

2) If your DM is nice and allows the above to stack, ask if you can then stack Mercurial Longsword & Greatsword... Both seemingly increases the crit multiplier of the normal versions from 2 to 4 (is it a +2 increase, or is it x2?)

So a Tiger Fang made from Kaorti Resin (x4), gains both Legacy crit multiplier increases (x6), that's morped into a Mercurial Greatsword (x8, or x12)...

Note: None of the 3 stacks by RAW, so ask your DM.