PDA

View Full Version : Special Mount Classes?

Deaxsa
2013-02-15, 12:39 AM
I'm trying to build a paladin into cavalier mounted monster, but i can't go cavalier until level 9, and paladin has some pretty dead levels after 5 (well, 3, actually, but i want the mount). are there any classes which will let me keep my mount progression? even better, is there a way i can take levels 4-8 as some class with a special mount? i don't care if it's a PrC, i'll take all suggestions.

Diovid
2013-02-15, 01:55 AM
Ashworm Dragoon (Sandstorm), Halfling Outrider (Complete Warrior), Knight of the Iron Glacier (Frostburn) and Wild Plains Outrider (Complete Adventurer) could do the trick.

In addition you could take a level of Beastmaster (Complete Adventurer) and take the Devoted Tracker feat (Complete Adventurer). In this case you might as well go with a Supermount though (Paladin 5 / Beastmaster 2 / Wild Plains Outrider 3 / Halfling Outrider 10).

Person_Man
2013-02-15, 09:30 AM
These are your options:

Ashworm Dragoon: You get a giant sand worm that you can Burrow with, the ability to use Mounted Combat with every melee attack (thus your Mount will rarely be hit in melee, since it's easy to boost Ride), plus Pounce and a few other helpful abilities. Sandstorm.

Aglarondan Griffin Rider: You get a Griffin, Evasion -> Improved Evasion (for you and your Mount when mounted - a rarity for full BAB classes, and especially helpful considering a Paladin's high Saves), Improved Mounted Combat, and other moderately useful perks. Unapproachable East.

Halfling Outrider: Levels of this PrC stack to determine both Special Mount and Animal Companion abilities. Combine with Devoted Tracker for a Supermount. Complete Warrior pg 38.

Knight of the Iron Glacier: Although the pre-reqs include 2 useless feats, a 1 level dip into this PrC will give you a kick butt giant moose as a Special Mount. Now you may be laughing at the idea of riding around on a Large moose, but consider that your moose has more hit dice then you, Improved Grab, Toss (free Bull Rush of Grappled enemy), Scent, and all of your Paladin Mount special abilities. Frostburn pg 63.

Prestige Paladin: All the benefits of Paladin 5 crammed into 3 levels, allowing you to play a Cleric, but with all the benefits of a Paladin. Unearthed Arcana.

Triadic Knight: Grants you a Special Mount (or stacks to determine your existing Special Mount) and 5/7 caster progression (with dead first and last levels) for any divine caster class. Basically a non-Unearthed Arcana version of the Prestige Paladin. Champions of Valor.

Deaxsa
2013-02-15, 10:04 AM
Ashworm Dragoon (Sandstorm), Halfling Outrider (Complete Warrior), Knight of the Iron Glacier (Frostburn) and Wild Plains Outrider (Complete Adventurer) could do the trick.

In addition you could take a level of Beastmaster (Complete Adventurer) and take the Devoted Tracker feat (Complete Adventurer). In this case you might as well go with a Supermount though (Paladin 5 / Beastmaster 2 / Wild Plains Outrider 3 / Halfling Outrider 10).

good idea, but I'm really pushing the whole cavalier idea on this character, so no ubermount. (also, ashworm dragoon does not fit, since that's thematic heresy)

Knight of the Iron Glacier: Although the pre-reqs include 2 useless feats, a 1 level dip into this PrC will give you a kick butt giant moose as a Special Mount. Now you may be laughing at the idea of riding around on a Large moose, but consider that your moose has more hit dice then you, Improved Grab, Toss (free Bull Rush of Grappled enemy), Scent, and all of your Paladin Mount special abilities. Frostburn pg 63.

Prestige Paladin: All the benefits of Paladin 5 crammed into 3 levels, allowing you to play a Cleric, but with all the benefits of a Paladin. Unearthed Arcana.

Triadic Knight: Grants you a Special Mount (or stacks to determine your existing Special Mount) and 5/7 caster progression (with dead first and last levels) for any divine caster class. Basically a non-Unearthed Arcana version of the Prestige Paladin. Champions of Valor.

these 3 are probably the best, especially KotIG... it even fits thematically. just one question about it; does it have a mount progression, or do they just receive a 'special' mount -- which in reality gets no SAs, no bonus HD, no Bonus Str, no progressions at all unless you already have the special mount ability. (ie; not very special at all) and if you DO already have that ability, do KotIG levels stack in terms of progression?

edit: forget it, just read this:

The character’s paladin levels and Knight of the Iron Glacier levels stack for purposes of determining what sort of bonus Hit Dice, natural armor adjustments, Strength adjustments, base Intelligence, and special abilities the special mount gains.

thanks you guys.