PDA

View Full Version : Dragon King (D&D 3.5 Epic Destiny) Peaches?

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-15, 02:07 AM
Dragon King
Epic Destiny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9633903&postcount=2)
Image (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/011/a/c/tiamat_by_lucasgraciano-d36xv4s.jpg)

It is said that Dragons who manage to live over 10,000 Years go into a state known as "Twilight" and then perish.
Some Dragons seek to stop aging by becoming a Dracolich, some accept the fate as the natural life cycle.
Some, become what Dragons where meant to be, a Dragon King.

Requirements:
Great Wyrm Dragon Age catagory, Or 20 HD in a Dragon monster class.

{table=head]Level|Benefit
21st|Command of Dragons, Dominion of scales.
24th|Tyrant of Energy
27th|Lord of Might
30th|Godspark
[/table]

Command of Dragons(Ex):
The Dragon King is now able to rebuke and command Dragons as a Evil Cleric commands Undead, they have effective cleric levels for rebuking equal to their HD.
Dragons are treated as having turn resistance equal to their HD

Dominion of the Scaled Ones(Ex):
The Dragon King Gains Epic Leadership as a bonus feat, if they already have leadership, and they gain a +10 Untyped bonus to their leadership score.
In this case however, they can only attract Scaled Ones, such as Kobolds, Lizardfolk, Yuan-Ti, Naga, Suarials, Dragonspawn, and even other Dragons, as subject to DM
Also, at 27th Level, He may treat a Scaled thing as RHD=ECL for Leadership, if they do not have a LA.

Tyrant Of Energy(Ex):
The Dragon King's Breath weapon is now a (Ex) Effect, and it now negates resistance utterly, and deals half Damage to a creature with immunity, In addition, the Dragon King also chooses one energy type that the breath weapon can deal in addition to the normal effect.
They may choose on additional effect every 3 Levels.

Lord of Might(Su):
The Dragon King's Frightful presence now show what it should be.
It gains a +2 Modifier on the Save DC, and it now gains the additional effects:
Instead of being frightened, the creature is Charmed, and if the creature would have been shaken, it is instead Dominated
This lasts a number of rounds equal to the Dragon king's Leadership score, or 6d6 rounds, whichever is more.

Godspark (Ex):
The Dragon king is now literally perfection, gaining +4 to all ability scores.
In addition, He now gains DvR 0, Thus serpassing mortals entirely.

Immortailty: The Might of a True King
Becoming a Dragon king was not exactly easy, but now that you're a Creature Of literal Legend, you can take it easy, and manage affairs in your realm, which, if you're a proper Dragon, is Millions of Miles.

So...whadda all think? To powerful? To weak? To..Meh?

Amechra
2013-02-15, 12:10 PM
Godspark is a massive jump in power. I don't think I've ever seen an ability grant a +20 to 3 ability scores, +10 to 3 others, DvR 0, and 2 bonus feats. It also is pretty darn boring.

Dominion of Scaled Things gives you a +15 to Leadership (you can't attract non-Scaled Things (why not Scaled One? It covers everything you stated, and is an actual term), and you probably already took Leadership), but otherwise is pretty nice.

Command of Dragons is kinda... bland.

Lord of Might: So... I essentially paralyze people forever? I'm curious as to why this is here? It kinda doesn't fit with your other abilities.

Alright, so I see what you are going for here, but... if you notice, this is a lot stronger than the other Epic Destinies. A lot. Stronger.

I would suggest scrapping Lord of Might, Dominion of Scaled Things, and Godspark, and focusing more on neat abilities rather than OMG NUMBERZ.

A conservative estimate at what would be appropriate:

1. Have Leadership be something that you already have to have; Epic Destinies should stem from what you've already been doing, instead of coming out of nowhere.

2. Make Command of Scaled Things give a bonus to your Leadership Score for Scaled Things (or, you know change that to Scaled Ones and Dragons) equal to your Charisma (why Strength for Lord of Might? It works for Orcs because Might makes Right is a big theme of their race; dragons have a theme of "terrible flying lizards, who invoke fear and adoration with their glorious presence."), and... something else minor but appropriate.

3. Make Lord of Might enhance your Frightful Aura; there is a spell in one of the Dragon books that make anyone within a certain range of you that is under a fear effect Charmed by you. Why not have your Frightful Aura Shaken on a successful save, and Frighten on a failed save, with Shaken creatures being Charmed and Frightened ones being Dominated (or Geased, or whatever.)

4. Godspark... I'd say +4 to all ability scores and DvR 0 are actually more than enough.

ShadowFireLance
2013-02-15, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=Amechra;14716120]Godspark is a massive jump in power. I don't think I've ever seen an ability grant a +20 to 3 ability scores, +10 to 3 others, DvR 0, and 2 bonus feats. It also is pretty darn boring.
Really? I thought it was cool.

Dominion of Scaled Things gives you a +15 to Leadership (you can't attract non-Scaled Things (why not Scaled One? It covers everything you stated, and is an actual term), and you probably already took Leadership), but otherwise is pretty nice.
Scaled one was a term I thought was around, but I wasn't sure.
Command of Dragons is kinda... bland.
Yeah, But it's a 21st level ability, Their kinda meant to be. Any Suggestions?
Lord of Might: So... I essentially paralyze people forever? I'm curious as to why this is here? It kinda doesn't fit with your other abilities.
The idea was to give the Dragons a REAL Frightful Presance type ability

Alright, so I see what you are going for here, but... if you notice, this is a lot stronger than the other Epic Destinies. A lot. Stronger.
I'm Famous for making overpowerer things...

I would suggest scrapping Lord of Might, Dominion of Scaled Things, and Godspark, and focusing more on neat abilities rather than OMG NUMBERZ.
Eh, I don't know, I might.

A conservative estimate at what would be appropriate:

1. Have Leadership be something that you already have to have; Epic Destinies should stem from what you've already been doing, instead of coming out of nowhere.
Got it.

2. Make Command of Scaled Things give a bonus to your Leadership Score for Scaled Things (or, you know change that to Scaled Ones and Dragons) equal to your Charisma (why Strength for Lord of Might? It works for Orcs because Might makes Right is a big theme of their race; dragons have a theme of "terrible flying lizards, who invoke fear and adoration with their glorious presence."), and... something else minor but appropriate.
I take offense at being called a Lizard. :smallannoyed:
But Dragons are also Famous for cowing creatures

3. Make Lord of Might enhance your Frightful Aura; there is a spell in one of the Dragon books that make anyone within a certain range of you that is under a fear effect Charmed by you. Why not have your Frightful Aura Shaken on a successful save, and Frighten on a failed save, with Shaken creatures being Charmed and Frightened ones being Dominated (or Geased, or whatever.)
OKay.
4. Godspark... I'd say +4 to all ability scores and DvR 0 are actually more than enough.[/QUOte
Okay then, may edit.
Thanks for the Peach!

rweird
2013-02-21, 11:39 AM
Command of Dragons sucks. You need to be 4 times the dragon you're trying to command's HD to be able to command them, twice to rebuke. At 30th level you can command 8 HD dragons.

Tyrant Of Energy(Ex):
The Dragon King's Breath weapon is now a (Ex) Effect, and it now negates resistance utterly, and deals half Damage to a creature with immunity, In addition, the Dragon King also chooses one energy type that the breath weapon can deal in addition to the normal effect.
They may choose on additional effect every 3 Levels [beyond 27th].

That ability is rather ambiguous, is it substituting one energy type for another, doubling the damage, making it be two types of energy? I can't tell. Also, the energy types should be limited to Fire, Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Sonic (though many great wyrms still would have other energy types to choose from, maybe an additional energy type, a stacking +2 bonus on save DC against the breath weapon, or a stacking -1 round recharge time, minimum 1 round)

Dominion of the Scaled Ones is good, putting the DM in charge of something like that is pretty much the only safe thing to do. I like it, the 27th level part is confusing.
Also, at 27th Level, He may treat a Scaled thing as RHD=ECL for Leadership, if they do not have a LA.

What do you mean by that? One part is horribly broken and you can treat 89th level sorcerers as 0th level, another allows you to attract non-playable (LA -) creatures.

Do you mean for it to allow you to attract draconic monsters as LA +0 things (reasonable), or to make LA +0 things count as RHD for the purpose of leadership (allowing you to get high level kobold characters as 1st level leadership characters). If it is the first, I think it is a rather balanced ability (especially with the DM approval things).

Lord of Might: Cool flavor ability, I'd say you should give the Dragon King the option to just inspire terror and make everyone run away, though it won't do much, considering almost everything at this level is immune to Mind effecting.

Godspark: Seems okay.

All and all, there are some badly worded parts, though it has potential. The biggest problem I can think of is any great wyrm can take it the next feat they get once they reach great wyrm and get all of that easily due to being over 30th level by the time they take the feat (also might make the breath weapon do around 150D10s).