PDA

View Full Version : Beds for snakemen

kennyboyraven
2013-02-15, 06:20 AM
Currently writing up an ancient temple previously used by a first one kind of race of snake-men. Its currently used by some Hobgoblins who don't actually live there, and I want to give the party clues as to what it was previously. Some rooms are living quarters, so I wondered how would these be different for snake-men compared to bipedal? Ideas on a postcard please...

The snake-men have the body of a humanoid with the snakes trunk and a snake ish head.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. :)

ArcturusV
2013-02-15, 06:22 AM
Well... first thing that jumps to mind for me is some flat stones, maybe fed a constant heat via something akin to a hypocaust so they remain quite toasty. Sounds like something a snakemen/naga/yuan-ti would go for.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-02-15, 06:23 AM
Maybe some kind of circular nest-like construction instead of typical rectangular beds? what do you mean when you say Trunk? Dis these snakemen have legs or a snake tail?

hymer
2013-02-15, 06:33 AM
I like Arcturus' idea, though they probably wouldn't want heated stones for sleeping on - they'd want them for waking up on and gearing up for the day. So heated seats in the mess hall, and generally plenty of ways to heat the complex and keep it warm and snug in the cold times if there are any of those. Their pantries would be smaller on average, but would need more meat and less grain etc. All that is predicated on them being kilothermic.
smj's right, we could use some info on what these snakepeople look like if we're tot alk about their beds.

EccentricCircle
2013-02-15, 06:52 AM
I'd agree with the previous posters. They would probably want a warm circular pedestal of some sort where they can sleep, but prehaps have it in an open plaza or on a balcony of some sort so that it can be used for basking in the sun and doesn't need to be artificially heated. Most Zoos make snake enclosures with lots of large stones to keep the heat and pools of water nearby, so maybe a Snake persons bedroom would look more like the courtyard of a hotel with a large pool and stone "sunbeds".

kennyboyraven
2013-02-15, 06:59 AM
Awesome sauce guys, great ideas. Supermonkeyjoe I'm basing them on this race http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040711b&page=3&pf=true

hymer
2013-02-15, 07:21 AM
In that case, their beds would be more roundish than longish, as I'm sure they sleep coiled up as well as they can to conserve heat. There may be something in the middle to curl up around like a warm pillow (or maybe a warmblooded being?) The beds would also be lower than most western beds I think, at least on the side where you get up/in. But they could sleep in a bed with some tilt (especially with something central to curl around as mentioned), which humans might well feel they were about to roll out of.

SillySymphonies
2013-02-15, 07:23 AM
"These beings moved by crawling; thus, the architecture of the city has very low ceilings and some places are too low for a human being to stand upright."
The Nameless City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nameless_City)

Surfnerd
2013-02-15, 08:46 AM
A wicker basket.... and of course they probably had some form of enslaved human with a wind instrument to be used to sound the wake up call.:smallbiggrin:

Cespenar
2013-02-15, 09:25 AM
If the torso is humanoid, though, sleeping in a coil really wouldn't do.

Hmm, perhaps a normal bed, with a long, vertical pillow on the middle? That way they can lie and rest their humanoid torso like normal humans, but may coil their lower half around the pillow as well.

hymer
2013-02-15, 09:33 AM
Well, from the picture linked, something like 80% of the body is snake, and even the torso looks quite elegant and bendable judging from the posture. But I agree that they probably can't coil up the torso quite like a real snake can (which is what I was trying to say with 'roundish' as opposed to 'round').

erikun
2013-02-15, 10:16 AM
A bowl-like or tub-like depression, possibly on a small pedestal to keep it off the ground, would me my thought on how Yuan-Ti beds are made. I've also seen sand-beds as a concept (for Medusae, specifically).

Yuan-Ti cities also tend to have gently sloping curves for roads and passageways, never stairs.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-15, 10:39 AM
I had to deal with this also in a play by post, and I used cushions, lots and lots of cushions, and everyone in the household slept communally. Being cold-blooded, status was somewhat shown by where you were in the huddle.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-15, 04:52 PM
Square beds which they curl up in would be more like dorm-room or army beds. The really nice ones would have enough space for full extension (also would have enough space for 2-3 snake-people at once).

Arbane
2013-02-15, 05:00 PM
Yuan-Ti cities also tend to have gently sloping curves for roads and passageways, never stairs.

And their version of ladders would look more like a tree?

dethkruzer
2013-02-16, 10:57 AM
I could imagine having a spherical or oval indent, carved into a stone floor, with some kinds of cushions around the edge. Perhaps coiling the tail into the indent, and the restn the torso on the cushions?