PDA

View Full Version : PF Summoner build review

Renen
2013-02-15, 11:49 AM
Was hopins some of you kind people could look over my lvl 3 Summoner (http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=38063)

Slipperychicken
2013-02-15, 11:54 AM
Requires login to view. Post the stats here? And please Spoiler them.

Renen
2013-02-15, 12:02 PM
Any way to attach a file?

SamBurke
2013-02-15, 12:33 PM
ControlA, Control C, Control V.

That should get us at least a working view of it.

Renen
2013-02-15, 01:55 PM
Cant just copy paste, because its in a template thingy and it just doesnt work...
But i saved the page and uploaded it, so it should work
https://rapidshare.com/files/632473503/My%20summoner.htm

Renen
2013-02-15, 02:34 PM
Hope it doesnt trigger any virus alarms or anything >_<
That would just be awkward

DonDuckie
2013-02-15, 03:18 PM
I'm getting download not available.(EDIT: "denied by uploader" to be specific)

Either type it out; it's level 3 so there's not that much. Or take a screenshot and post the picture.

Renen
2013-02-15, 03:32 PM
Bah, i cant even print screen the damn thing... Keeps bugging out.
I do have 1 main question.
My Eidolon has Claws with 1d4 damage, and Improved damage evolution for claws.
What would be the claw damage now?

Edit: Also have Reach: Claws. What would claw's reach be now?

Sorry for seemingly obvious questions, but I AM very new.

Renen
2013-02-15, 04:46 PM
anyone?
/10char

Private
2013-02-15, 07:40 PM
Bah, i cant even print screen the damn thing... Keeps bugging out.
I do have 1 main question.
My Eidolon has Claws with 1d4 damage, and Improved damage evolution for claws.
What would be the claw damage now?

Edit: Also have Reach: Claws. What would claw's reach be now?

Sorry for seemingly obvious questions, but I AM very new.

Your Claw damage would be 1d6. Check out the Summoner Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592) for some help if you need it.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-15, 11:12 PM
[Caves and makes an account to view it]

What are you planning to craft with Craft Wondrous Item?

Why does your Eidolon have Combat Reflexes?

I would recommend using a Wand of Cure Light Wounds instead of Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon. CLW works on anyone -not just Eidolons, and on average it's only 1 point of healing less than RE. Your party members will greatly appreciate the heals.

For the Eidolon. Int should be 7 and Wisdom should be 10.

Why is your Chain Shirt made of mithral?

If you have a chain shirt, why is Mage Armor on your list? Do you intend to cast it on your Eidolon to further jack its AC? That would bring its AC to 21, making it pretty hard to hit at low levels.

You forgot to give yourself bonus spells for having a high casting stat. Check it out in the massive intimidating table under "basics and ability scores". With a 15 Charisma, you receive one bonus 1st level spell per day (write 1 under "bonus spells" in "spell saves" on the sheet). And when you get your 2nd level spells, you get one bonus 2nd level spell.

Renen
2013-02-15, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Answers (to all questions in order)
1) This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592) thing told me its a good feat >_< (me being new and all, i justwent along with it) But im open to other recommendations.

2) Pretty much as 1. Planning to have lots of dexterity, and a good reach. So this looks like a good feat. But maybe you mean its too early to take it? Any other things i should take (and get this later)

3) Hrm... I guess i really should get the other wand.

4) Why the change in stats? Heck, wouldnt low int actually take away from my Eidolon's skill points pool?

5) Mithral is light, and -10% ASF

6) I assume shirt and mage armor dont stack. Then again as you said I WAS planning to use it on Eidolon. "That would bring its AC to 21, making it pretty hard to hit at low levels." Is that a good thing or not? (I know it normally is, but the way you say it, makes it sound kinda bad >_<)

7) I thought Summoners cant get bonus spells? Oh well, gonna go change it now.

Thanks for the help. Hoping to hear more feedback <3

Edit: Think I should perhaps go for a "battle summoner? As in changing my PC's stats around to allow for more up close and personal relations with the baddies?

Slipperychicken
2013-02-16, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Answers (to all questions in order)
1) This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592) thing told me its a good feat >_< (me being new and all, i justwent along with it) But im open to other recommendations.

2) Pretty much as 1. Planning to have lots of dexterity, and a good reach. So this looks like a good feat. But maybe you mean its too early to take it? Any other things i should take (and get this later)

3) Hrm... I guess i really should get the other wand.

4) Why the change in stats? Heck, wouldnt low int actually take away from my Eidolon's skill points pool?

5) Mithral is light, and -10% ASF

6) I assume shirt and mage armor dont stack. Then again as you said I WAS planning to use it on Eidolon. "That would bring its AC to 21, making it pretty hard to hit at low levels." Is that a good thing or not? (I know it normally is, but the way you say it, makes it sound kinda bad >_<)

7) I thought Summoners cant get bonus spells? Oh well, gonna go change it now.

1) Just try to think about what you want to make with it, that's all. It can be very effective at cutting costs if you know what you're doing. If you're not going to Craft much, consider re-assigning the feat.

2) Actually, Combat Reflexes is a fine feat for your Eidolon, if he has reach.

3) Remember you may need to make UMD checks to use the Wand if a spell isn't on the Summoner list (making those isn't hard for a Summoner). See if there's a party Cleric who can handle it. The CLW wand is considered the most efficient means of healing in the game, unless you can score a wand of Infernal Healing (which gives 10 points per charge, as opposed to 5.5 from the CLW). Read Infernal Healing to see if it's right for you.

4) That's because those are the stats given for the Eidolon. You must have mixed them up when copying to the sheet. The default Eidolon with Int 7 receives 4 skill points per hit die (6 base -2 Int = 4), exactly as reflected on the table.

5) Summoners don't suffer ASF in light armor. You may wear an ordinary Chain Shirt with impunity, and redistribute the funds at your leisure.

6) AC is always a great thing to have. At later levels (7+ ish), attack bonuses may scale faster (and even then you want to prevent them from Power Attacking effectively), but that time is not yet. It's still quite important for you to avoid being hit -a high AC will significantly improve combat endurance. When you get 2nd level spells, consider Barkskin, as it's a classic AC buff.

7) Every caster receives bonus spells for having a high casting-stat.

Renen
2013-02-16, 12:30 PM
Just wondering. If i get Reach evolution it applies to my whole set of claws right (as in you get claws as a weapon that does 2 attacks)? Because I been talking with someone and they said that it only applies to one of the attacks.

DonDuckie
2013-02-16, 01:14 PM
Just wondering. If i get Reach evolution it applies to my whole set of claws right (as in you get claws as a weapon that does 2 attacks)? Because I been talking with someone and they said that it only applies to one of the attacks.

You're right it applies to both claws. If you have the claws evolution more than once, each of them needs their own reach evolution(there may be some debate over this).

Slipperychicken
2013-02-16, 01:14 PM

I would personally allow it to work on both Claws (otherwise you have one arm way shorter than the others, which is absurd), but by a very strict reading of the rules, it does only apply to only one of the attacks.

You obviously aren't trying to twink out your Eidolon to be a power-gamey combat monster, so I think it's pretty reasonable to apply it to both.

Renen
2013-02-16, 01:27 PM
Yeh. Apparently some people make thishttp://p3.91huo.com/abum91e/upload/2010/04/26/127226861950b.jpg

Also, with enough reach I can make a claw attack from further away than a spear weapon right? F*** logic >_<

Slipperychicken
2013-02-16, 01:36 PM
Yeh. Apparently some people make this

Also, with enough reach I can make a claw attack from further away than a spear weapon right? F*** logic >_<

Please spoiler large images. I mean, it's supposed to be a dream-monster from another dimension, and if you spent that many EP for it, why not?

DonDuckie
2013-02-16, 01:36 PM
Yeh. Apparently some people make this
<snip>

except that reach isn't one of the evolutions that you can take more than once.

Renen
2013-02-16, 02:04 PM
If im not mistaken there are a few evolutions that provide bonus to reach...

Btw, anyone has any ideas what evolutions would be good?
While power is good, I am actually looking to stay close to the appearance on the picture. So no extra limbs, but i do wanna get wings, considering tail. WIll likely get rend. Any other suggestons?

Slipperychicken
2013-02-16, 03:00 PM
Going off the picture:

Claws (limbs: Arms) -Already got it for free
Claws (limbs: Legs)
Pounce
Rend- for when you have odd numbers of natural attacks. Counts as 1 against the limit.
Damage Reduction - Can make your Eidolon tanky if you're high level and have 3 EP lying around. Spells and energy attacks bypass it, but magic weapons don't. Probably not worth it at 9th level, mentioned mostly because demons have DR/Good.

Tail - If you really want the tail evolution, go for it. Secondary attacks kind of suck (that -5 to hit really hurts), so I recommend against Tail Slap.

Magic Attacks - Pick it up once the Fighters start getting +1 weapons. DR can kill your damage output.
Flight (Ex) - Take it at 5th. Worth every EP.
Resistance (Fire) -> upgrade to Immunity (fire) if you feel like it. Remember that the resistance scales with level.
Large (Ex) - Excellent evolution all around. May or may not fit with the fluff.
Spell Resistance - Take at 9th. It doesn't apply to your own spells.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether your Eidolon will be effective in combat. Built correctly, they can overshadow most Fighters, so "roleplaying" the evolution-selection will likely put her on an even playing field.

DonDuckie
2013-02-16, 03:06 PM
Going off the picture:

Claws (limbs: Arms) -Already got it for free
Claws (limbs: Legs)
Pounce
Rend- for when you have odd numbers of natural attacks. Counts as 1 against the limit.
-snip-

Unless I'm missing something: only bipeds get free claws and only quadropeds can take pounce, sooooo...
http://data.whicdn.com/images/29218796/funny-Consuela-Family-Guy-No-No_large.jpg

And rend doesn't count towards natural attacks.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-16, 03:10 PM
Unless I'm missing something: only bipeds get free claws and only quadropeds can take pounce, sooooo...
http://data.whicdn.com/images/29218796/funny-Consuela-Family-Guy-No-No_large.jpg

The Eidolon's a Biped, I kinda spaced on it.

Renen
2013-02-17, 10:52 AM
Can you elaborate further on rend?
Does that mean I cant do it with only 2 claws?
And thanks for the info :-)

Slipperychicken
2013-02-17, 11:28 AM
Can you elaborate further on rend?
Does that mean I cant do it with only 2 claws?
And thanks for the info :-)

An Eidolon needs two Claw attacks to trigger it. Because the evolution grants two Claw attacks, you need only select the Claws evolution once to qualify for Rend.

The damage triggers once for every two Claw attacks which hit the same target that round, making it a very good idea to stack the Claws evolutions, maximizing the chance to trigger Rend.