PDA

View Full Version : True Love Gone Wrong [3.5 fey creature]

Mephibosheth
2013-02-15, 01:58 PM
The Old True Love

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ifyX9TcUQ7E/S1NYsJaMtXI/AAAAAAAAAA0/D7rBnXQyOqE/s400/hill2.jpg

Well met well met said an old true love
Well met well met said he
I have just returned from the salt salt sea
And it's all for the love of thee

Now you forsake your house carpenter
And come along with me
I'll take you were the grass grows green
On the banks of the deep blue sea

Then she picked up her darling little babe
And kisses she gave him three
Saying stay right here my darling little babe
And keep your papa company
Listen to this while you read. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyST2vMlP0)

Size/Type:
Medium Fey

Hit Dice:
15d6 + 45 (97 hp)

Initiative:
+7

Speed:
30 ft (6 squares)

Armor Class:
20 (+7 Dex, +3 natural armor), touch 17, flat-footed 13, material plane 30

Base Attack/Grapple:
+7/+7

Attack:
Claw +14 (1d8) or incorporeal touch (1d4 Wis) (see text)

Full Attack:
2 Claws +14 (1d8) or incorporeal touch (1d4 Wis) (see text)

Space/Reach:
5 ft./5 ft.

Special Attacks:
Spells, spell-like abilities

Special Qualities:
Alive in dreams, damage reduction 15/cold iron, detect broken hearts, dream of love reunited, low-light vision, spell resistance 25, tongues, visage of the lost love

Saves:
Fort +8, Ref +16, Will +14

Abilities:
Str 11, Dex 25, Con 16, Int 23, Wis 17, Cha 30

Skills:
Balance +7, Bluff +28, Concentration +24, Diplomacy +32, Disguise +30, Hide +25, Intimidate +30, Jump +2, Listen +21, Move Silently +25, Perform (storytelling) +28, Sense Motive +21, Spot +21, Tumble +25

Feats:
Ability Focus (dream of love reunited), Weapon Finesse, Spell Focus (enchantment), Greater Spell Focus (enchantment), Skill Focus (concentration), Iron Will, Spell Focus (illusion)

Environment:
Any

Organization:
Solitary, couple (an Old True Love and one victim), or crew (an Old True Love, one victim, and 20+ crew members)

Challenge Rating:

Treasure:
Double standard

Alignment:
Usually Chaotic Evil

Advancement:
By character class

Level Adjustment:
--

An Old True Love is a particularly insidious fey creature stuck between the material world and the world of dreams. Because its existence on the material plane is insubstantial and unfulfilling, it steals into the lovelorn hopes and dreams of lonely individuals longing for a lost companion. It uses these heart-broken individuals’ vulnerability to trap them in a dream world, impersonating their lost love and luring them into giving up their minds as hosts for a dream world in which the Old True Love can experience a richer existence.

Victims of an Old True Love are trapped in the fey’s dream world. They leave their homes, walking in a trance-like state toward a remote location (for example, an abandoned mountain cave or floating shipwreck) where they spend the rest of their natural lives asleep, trapped in the Old True Love’s dream. They can only be freed by death; either their own or the Old True Love's

No one knows what an Old True Love really looks like. It always appears in disguise, taking the form of the lost love of someone present. In the real world, truly perceptive individuals can notice that this form is insubstantial and fuzzy around the edges. In the dream world, even the sharpest eyes have difficulty penetrating the Old True Love’s disguise.

Combat
An Old True Love is a creature of trickery and seduction. It will use its abilities to avoid combat if at all possible. But it will use its formidable magical abilities to defend itself if confronted. This is especially true if it is threatened on the dream world where it is most vulnerable.

Among the Old True Love’s most potent weapons is its ability to take on different appearances. If encountered in the dream world, it will try to hide and use its detect broken hearts ability on any potential enemies before appearing in the form of any lost loves it was able to glean. It will then assail the minds of its victims, attempting to incapacitate them before delivering the final blows. It will also direct any crewmen around to aid in its fight. As a last-ditch effort, it will make the target of its dream of love reunited ability throw itself in the path of danger while the Old True Love makes its escape.

If encountered on the material plane, an Old True Love is significantly harder to strike but much less potent. It will attempt to use its disguise abilities to confuse any possible assailants while it flees. If this doesn’t work, it will simply dismiss its visage of the lost love ability and use its incorporeality to help it escape.

Alive in Dreams (Su): An Old True Love is, in some ways, a being stuck between two worlds; the material plane and a special dream world. In the material plane, the Old True Love exists as an intangible vestige of itself. It can move in and observe the material plane as if it were an ethereal creature, except as noted here. It is incorporeal and has a deflection bonus to AC equal to its Charisma modifier. It is also continually under the effect of the sustained force version of the Telekinesis spell. It's caster level for this effect is equal to its hit dice. It employs this telekinesis almost exclusively to appear as though it is interacting with the material world, opening doors and the like. It is unable to use any abilities other than detect broken hearts, telekinesis, visage of the lost love, and vision of love reunited.

The Old True Love truly lives in the dream world created by its vision of love reunited ability. In this dream world, the Old True Love is fully able to interact with and observe its surroundings without penalty or limit and can use any abilities it possesses. It is no longer incorporeal and loses the deflection bonus to its AC. It also gains a +8 racial bonus on Will saves made to manipulate highly morphic planes.

And Old True Love can enter and leave a dream world at will as a free action, but is subject to all of the limitations of the plane it currently inhabits.

Detect Broken Hearts (Su): An Old True Love is able to detect sadness, grief, and broken hearts. This ability functions in all ways as the Detect Evil spell, except that, instead of alignment, it detects grief, loneliness and similar emotions caused by the absence of a beloved individual. Additionally, if the Old True Love concentrates on an individual for 4 rounds, it perceives an exact image of the person whose absence broke the individual’s heart. The Old True Love can use this ability at will.

Dream of Love Reunited (Su): An Old True Love can create a vision in the mind of a brokenhearted individual, hereafter referred to as the target. The details of the Dream World created by this ability are outlined below.

The Old True Love uses this ability by projecting a vision of the Dream World into a mind of the target and then entering and residing in this Dream World. The One True Love can accomplish this in one of two ways.

The Old True Love must spend one hour in the willing presence of the target disguised as the target’s lost love as described in the detect broken hearts ability. At the end of this time, the target must make a DC 29 Will save, taking a -4 penalty as a result of the Old True Love’s deception. The save DC is Charisma-based. If the Old True Love creates a Dream World this way, it can build the Dream World as it desires within the limits outlined below.

The Old True Love can opportunistically create a Dream World in the mind of a creature reduced to 0 Wisdom by its incorporeal touch attack. If the Old True Love chooses to use this ability, the target must make a DC 29 Will save upon falling unconscious. The save DC is Charisma-based. If the Old True Love creates a dream world this way, it cannot alter the dream world but rather incorporates itself into an already existing (and usually quite troubling) dream.

In either case, if the target fails its save, it enters the dream world of the Old True Love and remains asleep until the dream world is destroyed. The target sleepwalks to a place designated by the Old True Love. A sleepwalking target moves at half speed and is limited to a single move action each round. It is not capable of moving at a higher rate of speed and automatically fails any Dexterity- or Strength-based checks. It can take additional actions only when granted them by magical means.

Once a sleepwalking target has reached its designation, it remains asleep until its natural life ends, it is killed, or it is awakened. The target cannot be awakened by nonmagical means. Targets that entered the dream world via method #1 can make an additional Will save twice per year; on the winter and summer solstices. If they succeed, they awake from the dream. If they fail, they take 1d4 points of Wisdom damage. This Wisdom damage does not heal until the target awakens, at which point all Wisdom damage they have accumulated is completely healed. If the target's Wisdom is been reduced to 0 in this manner, they are not allowed further Will saves to wake up. Targets who entered the dream world via method #2 cannot make these Will saves. While asleep,the target continues to age normally but does not die of hunger or thirst. Killing the target destroys the Dream World but does not kill the Old True Love.

Spell-Like Abilities:
At will – gaseous form, invisibility, silent image (DC 21), detect thoughts (DC 22)
3/day – crushing despair (DC 26), suggestion (23)
1/day – confusion (DC 26), mind fog (DC 27)

Spells: An Old True Love casts arcane spells as a 9th level sorcerer.

Typical sorcerer spells known (8/5/4/3/2, Save DC 20 + spell level [+2 for Enchantment, +1 for Illusion])
0 (6/day) – Resistance, detect magic, dancing lights, ray of frost, ghost sound, touch of fatigue, mage hand, prestidigitation
1st (9/day) – Mage armor, charm person, ventriloquism, ray of enfeeblement, magic missile
2nd (9/day) – Hideous laughter, touch of idiocy, mirror image, ghoul touch
3rd (8/day) – Deep slumber, vampiric touch, major image
4th (8/day) – Dimension door, greater invisibility

Tongues (Su): An Old True Love is constantly under the effect of the Tongues spell, even on the material plane.

Visage of the Lost Love (Su): An Old True Love can use Disguise Self at will. It is not bound by the normal restrictions of this spell concerning size and body type, but it can only take on the form of individuals it saw with its detect broken hearts ability.

Wisdom Damage (Su): While on the material plane, an Old True Love gains an incorporeal touch attack that deals 1d4 points of Wisdom damage. A creature reduced to 0 Wisdom by an Old True Love is rendered unconscious and is drawn into the Old True Love's dream world (see the dream of love reunited ability)

The Dream World
A dream world is an extremely-localized temporary demiplane that is nested within the material plane (hereafter referred to as "the waking world"). A dream world comes into existence when an individual dreams and ceases to exist when the dream ends or the dreamer awakes. Under normal circumstances, dream worlds are only experienced by the dreamer.

Dream worlds are highly changeable planes; each dream world a dreamer creates is different and can change over the course of a dream. Generally, however, a dream world has the following planar characteristics:
Normal Gravity
Erratic Time
Self-Contained Shape - A dream world moves and expands with the dreamer. The dreamer remains roughly at the center of the dream world, which moves and changes as the dreamer moves. The size of the dream world is typically limited to the distance the dreamer can perceive. It might be as small as a single room or have a radius of several miles. If individuals other than the dreamer find their way into a dream world, their movements are limited by the dream world's self-contained shape even though the dreamer's movements are typically not.
Highly Morphic - Dreamers can change the nature of their dream worlds and, except in rare circumstances, do so unconsciously. Others in the dream world can make a Will save (DC varies depending on the dream world, but is usually 25+)
Normal Magic
Bear in mind that these characteristics are only typical and can be changed for a given dream world.

Under normal circumstances, traveling to a dream world is extremely difficult for anyone other than the dreamer. They are extremely localized and only exist for brief amounts of time. Plane Shift and similar spells will allow individuals other than the dreamer to enter a dream world, but they must specify exactly the individual whose dream world they wish to enter and must do so during the brief time window in which it exists. Arrival locations are still random as normal for such spells, within the limits of the dream world.

Traveling to dream worlds differs from conventional planar travel in one important way. When the spell is cast, the spell's targets fall asleep and their consciousnesses travel to the dream world, where they appear with the exact same appearance, equipment, and abilities that they had in the waking world, assuming these abilities function in the dream world.

Dream worlds are confusing by nature, which presents a unique challenge to outsiders. Immediately upon entering the dream world, each individual must succeed on a DC 20 Will save or be unable to remember that they are in a dream world. If an individual takes at least one point of damage (either in the dream world or on the material plane) she can make another Will save. Dreamers are typically not aware that they are in a dream world, but some exceptions to this rule are possible. In such cases, the dreamer must also make a Will save upon entering the dream world to recognize its nature.

Individuals, including dreamers, who are able to do so can Plane Shift or use similar abilities to leave a dream world at any time, provided they are aware that they are in a dream world and can decide to leave. If they do so, their consciousnesses are returned to their bodies and they awake. An individual who uses cast spells or uses abilities with limited uses per day while in a dream world does not expend these abilities upon re-entering the waking world.

A dreamer who is injured or killed normally faces no ramifications in the waking world. Others who enter the dream world, however, are at risk. If such an individual takes damage, she sustains an equal amount of non-lethal damage and is fatigued upon re-entering the waking world. If an individual other than the dreamer is killed in a dream world, she takes 1d3 negative levels upon waking. A successful DC 20 Fortitude save prevents these negative levels from becoming permanent.

The Dream World of the Old True Love
The dream world created by an Old True Love differs from a normal dream world in a few crucial ways.

Under normal circumstances an Old True Love's dream world last until the natural death of the creature's victim. The victim remains asleep for the entire duration. Nothing outside the dream world can wake the victim.

The Old True Love's dream world can be ended, though doing so is difficult. The Old True Love must be killed or convinced to relinquish the victim. If the Old True Love is killed in the waking world, the dream world is destroyed but the victim remains in a dreamless sleep for the remainder of her natural life and cannot be roused. If the Old True Love is killed in the dream world, the victim and any other individuals currently in the dream world awake, destroying the dream world. The same occurs if the Old True Love is convinced to relinquish the victim. If the Old True Love's victim is successfully roused, he or she has limited memory of the dream world and the actions he or she took while under the influence of the Old True Love. The victim is immune to this particular Old True Love's Dream of Love Reunited ability for 24 hours and gains a +2 bonus on saves to resist all future encounters with this ability.

Entering an Old True Love's dream world is also more difficult (except for the victim, of course). Anyone attempting to use Plane Shift or similar abilities to enter the dream world must succeed on an opposed character level check against the Old True Love. The Old True Love uses its hit dice for this check. If they fail, their spell or ability is used and they are unable to enter the dream world.

It is also possible to be brought into an already-established dream world by an Old True Love. One of two circumstances must occur.
The individual must be reduced to 0 Wisdom by the Old True Love's incorporeal touch attack and must subsequently fail a Will save against the Old True Love's dream of love reunited ability.
The individual must voluntarily submit to this ability, at which point the Old True Love can bring her into the dream world as a standard action.

SamBurke
2013-02-15, 02:09 PM
There are some minor typos and such (Old True Love should probably be capitalized), but I like the idea. It's a very, very, cool monster...

I might change a few things, myself, to run it. For example, make it possible to "accidentally" stumble across the Dreamer's Hulk, starting an adventure to find the Old True Love. Things like that.

Mephibosheth
2013-02-15, 02:20 PM
I might change a few things, myself, to run it. For example, make it possible to "accidentally" stumble across the Dreamer's Hulk, starting an adventure to find the Old True Love. Things like that.

That's definitely how I intended the hulk to work. Is there something in the text that indicates that the hulk is less than real? Please let me know where I've been misleading.

Incidentally, I'm also planning on writing out an adventure based on this creature if I get the time. I don't know when that will happen, but I'll try to get around to it.

Mephibosheth
2013-02-17, 01:03 PM
Bump!

I've reduce the HD and the casting a little bit to bring the CR down. Anyone have input on the CR for this guy? Is 14 appropriate for its abilities now?

Debihuman
2013-02-17, 03:20 PM
This is a nicely complex creature and I think you did a lovely job in evoking the drama that this creature would create. Bravo on a exceptional creature.

My only complaint is that the creature is not one that is DM friendly. You are not clear whether the dream world (i.e. the ship controlled by the Old Lost Love) is accessible to anyone other than the victim and the Old True Love.

All creatures and objects in this dream world save the Old True Love and any individuals it intentionally brings into the world (including the target) are illusory, existing only in the mind of the target.

The part that I bolded is a problem since the dream world is quasi-real. You flip-flop between what is in the mind of the victim and what is "real."

Does the victim actually steal a rowboat or does he just think he does? Does the derelict ship exist on the Prime Material Plane or not? Can anyone other then the Old Lost Love and the victim see it?

Debby

Palanan
2013-02-18, 09:38 PM
I can't offer too much in the way of design commentary, since I'm a sad novice at homebrewing.

But I love the feel of this creature--haunting, melancholy, darkly poignant, but also fundamentally unknown and disturbing. To me, this evokes the deep wild essence of the fey...and does so far better than most published fey creatures.

My one comment about game mechanics would involve the "quasi-real demiplane," which I'm having a hard time figuring out, and which Debby also mentioned. Is this entirely in the mind of the dreamer? If so, how does the One True Love acquire and navigate a derelict in the material world? This is the one section that might need a little clarifying.

Apart from that, this is very nicely done. You really capture the mood of the fey--and unlike the vast majority of creatures and monsters out there, this one opens up some possibilities for nuanced roleplaying as well.

Mephibosheth
2013-02-19, 08:05 PM
I definitely agree with your criticisms, Debby and Palanan, and really appreciate your input. I was still on the fence about the nature of the dream world, but I was away from my normal computer and wanted to get things posted so I would be able to save my work. I'm re-working it as we speak and will be posting a more detailed explanation as I have the opportunity.

Debihuman
2013-02-20, 12:57 PM
Is Alive in Dreams an Extraordinary ability? It is missing its designator.

The bolded sentence in the following paragraph has some problems for me:

In either case, if the target fails its save, it remains asleep until the Old True Love’s dream world is destroyed. The target sleepwalks to an isolated place designated by the Old True Love, interacting with no one and simply walking away or continuing its business if interacted with. The target remains asleep until either its natural life ends, it is killed, or it is awakened. The target does not die of hunger or thirst but remains asleep for the duration of its natural life. The target can, however, be killed. Killing the target destroys the dream world but does not kill the Old True Love.

The problem with requiring the victim to actually sleepwalk to the dream world is that it a bit awkward. Obviously, the victim could be prevented from leaving -- restraints, a hold person spell, or merely barring egress would all work. Obviously, the other victims' friends and family (or the other PCs) would attempt to wake up the victim. You seem to indicate this is possible, but have no mechanic for doing so. You also didn't mention how fast a sleepwalker moves.

The problem with having the target sleepwalk to the dream world, is that so much can happen between when the target falls asleep and when the target arrives at the dream world. You aren't clear on how long this takes and how the target should interact with obstacles.

You also need to include the rules for waking up a target. Does this work like a sleep spell where it is necessary to slap or wound the sleepwalker to wake him up because normal noise does not?

Debby

Mephibosheth
2013-02-20, 01:42 PM
You raise some good questions. I'm still wrestling with things like this. Ultimately, the answers may come down to "whatever the DM says," since this creature is designed to be the focal point of an adventure rather than a random encounter. A lot of these abilities that I'm trying to craft are somewhat nebulous. I'm doing my best to think them through and provide helpful guidance, but ultimately DMs who want to use this creature will have to answer some of these questions on the fly. But it's still a work in progress, so some of these questions may be addressed. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but the dream world is getting more and more complicated and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Mephibosheth
2013-02-22, 01:44 PM
OK. I've taken a stab at outlining dream worlds in more detail and with greater consistency. I'm 100% sure there are things I've missed, so any input would be wonderful!

Debihuman
2013-02-23, 06:29 AM
You raise some good questions. I'm still wrestling with things like this. Ultimately, the answers may come down to "whatever the DM says," since this creature is designed to be the focal point of an adventure rather than a random encounter. A lot of these abilities that I'm trying to craft are somewhat nebulous. I'm doing my best to think them through and provide helpful guidance, but ultimately DMs who want to use this creature will have to answer some of these questions on the fly. But it's still a work in progress, so some of these questions may be addressed. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but the dream world is getting more and more complicated and I'm still trying to figure it out.

First, I AM the DM. Second, this is an incomplete creature. This isn't asking for "guidance," this sort of stuff should be included.

Here is my suggestion of how you incorporate the mechanics:

Dream of Love Reunited (Su): An Old True Love can create a vision in the mind of a brokenhearted individual, hereafter referred to as the target. The details of the Dream World created by this ability are outlined below.

The Old True Love uses this ability by projecting a vision of the Dream World into a mind of the target and then entering and residing in this Dream World. The One True Love can accomplish this in one of two ways.

The Old True Love must spend one hour in the willing presence of the target disguised as the target’s lost love as described in the detect broken hearts ability. At the end of this time, the target must make a DC 29 Will save, taking a -4 penalty as a result of the Old True Love’s deception. The save DC is Charisma-based. If the Old True Love creates a Dream World this way, it can build the Dream World as it desires within the limits outlined below.

The Old True Love can opportunistically create a Dream World in the mind of a creature reduced to 0 Wisdom by its incorporeal touch attack. If the Old True Love chooses to use this ability, the target must make a DC 29 Will save upon falling unconscious. The save DC is Charisma-based. If the Old True Love creates a dream world this way, it cannot alter the dream world but rather incorporates itself into an already existing (and usually quite troubling) dream.

In either case, if the target fails its save, it remains asleep until the Old True Love’s Dream World is destroyed. The target sleepwalks to a place designated by the Old True Love. A sleepwalking target moves at half speed and is limited to a single move action each round. It is not capable of moving at a higher rate of speed or taking actions other than by magical assistance, and automatically fails any Dexterity- or Strength-based skill checks.

Once a sleepwalking target has reached its designation, it enters the Dream World of the Old True Love. The target remains asleep until its natural life ends, it is killed, or it is awakened. The target cannot be awakened by nonmagical means. While asleep,the target continues to age normally but does not die of hunger or thirst. Killing the target destroys the Dream World but does not kill the Old True Love.

You might want to amend this paragraph as well:

Victims of an Old True Love are trapped in the Fey’s dream world. They leave their homes, sleepwalking to a an area designated by the Old True Love. Such victims have been seen walking in a trance-like state toward the coast where they steal a boat and row out to sea. Eventually they make their way to an abandoned floating hulk where they spend the rest of their natural lives asleep, trapped in the Old True Love’s dream. Freeing a target from the Dream World is a difficult task.

In later portions of the text, you indicate that there are more than 2 ways to free a target. Therefore, the last lines of the original paragraph no longer apply. You can convince the Old True Love to let the target go, you can attempt to wake the target up, and you can kill the Old True Love.

Debby

Mephibosheth
2013-02-23, 07:00 AM
Thanks Debby. I get what you mean now. If you don't mind, I'll just *yoink* that and use it!

Debihuman
2013-02-23, 07:46 AM
Go Ahead. A rowboat is 8- to 12-foot-long boat holds two or three Medium passengers. It moves about 1˝ miles per hour (15 miles a day). I would say that it doesn't take a skill check to use a rowboat. The only time a check would be required would be a Profession (Sailor) check if the water conditions were hazardous, such as going over a waterfall.

Also, I think you need a way for the Old True Love to affect the environment. You might want to use the genesis spell as a basis for the Old True Love's ability to create the Dream World (See Alive in Dreams).

Debby

Mephibosheth
2013-02-23, 10:08 AM
It already can.

Highly Morphic - Dreamers can change the nature of their dream worlds and, except in rare circumstances, do so unconsciously. Others in the dream world can make a Will save (DC varies depending on the dream world, but is usually 25+)

It also gains a +8 racial bonus on Will saves made to manipulate highly morphic planes.

Debihuman
2013-02-24, 01:20 AM
I meant that Old True Love might also need to affect the environment in the Prime Material world (not the Dream World) while he's guiding his victim to his Dream World.

Telekinesis will on affect 50 pounds of matter, but if the victim is blocked -and the victim fails all Str and Dex based skills--that could be an issue.

Here's a question, if an OTL relinquishes control of his victim, what happens? I presume the victim wakes up with the knowledge of what happened. It should give the victim (at minimum) a +2 Insight bonus to resist further uses Dream of the Reunited that the OTL or even make him immune to that special ability for 24 hours.

Debby

Mephibosheth
2013-02-25, 09:52 AM
Good call. Done and done. I've also eliminated the 50 pound limit on the Old True Love's telekinesis.

Debihuman
2013-02-25, 11:04 AM
Now, you need a caster level for the telekinesis spell because it allows for 25 lbs per caster level. If caster level = HD then it would be limited to 375 lbs. That amount should be noted in the creature's Alive in Dreams ability.

Debby

Noctis Vigil
2013-02-25, 06:59 PM
This is amazing homebrew, good sir! I have a game running in a high-fey world, and will most likely end up using this later; the feel is just too good to pass up.

Not much more to say here. I've never been good at creature creation, and it looks good to me.

Mephibosheth
2013-02-25, 07:32 PM
Now, you need a caster level for the telekinesis spell because it allows for 25 lbs per caster level.

Good call. Thanks a lot for all your help!

This is amazing homebrew, good sir! I have a game running in a high-fey world, and will most likely end up using this later; the feel is just too good to pass up.

Not much more to say here. I've never been good at creature creation, and it looks good to me.

:smallredface: Thanks so much! If you use it, please let me know how it goes and what needs work.

Zireael
2013-04-07, 07:25 AM
This is excellent!

DracoDei
2013-04-07, 03:48 PM
Wikipedia-like cross-indexing: Entry thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103694) for Vorpal Tribble's "Paragons of Passion" Monster Competition.

Ir0npanda
2013-04-07, 05:00 PM
Awesome monster. My only input is to allow the dream prisoner a will save to escape the dream once every solstice (twice per calendar year) to get more of that fey flavor. Each failed save causes wisdom damage that doesnt go away until they wake up. If their Wisdom reaches zero then they no longer get save attempts on the solstice.

This is only for victims who were not wisdom drained before becoming beguiled by the OTL. Those victims dont get any saves within the dream.

Mephibosheth
2013-04-07, 06:50 PM
Thanks for bringing this back! I'm glad people still like this creature.

DracoDei, I'm assuming you linked to that contest because your creature is something of a non-evil opposite of mine; a creature that uses a love-based alternate reality to help, rather than harm, true loves. I like it a lot! Thanks for the link!

Ir0npanda, that is an awesome idea! Done and done!

DracoDei
2013-04-07, 07:26 PM
DracoDei, I'm assuming you linked to that contest because your creature is something of a non-evil opposite of mine; a creature that uses a love-based alternate reality to help, rather than harm, true loves. I like it a lot! Thanks for the link!

While I am utterly shameless in linking my own work (although I provide reciprocal links when possible), I do also link to other people's work if I remember anything relevant and can find it, and in this case it wasn't even mostly about the Devotion Bower.

In this particular case, I felt that many entries could be relevant for their similarities on certain themes. The Mother of Teeth, for instance, plays the part of a lover who great lengths must be gone to to be united with. The Clone Couple also is a sort of inverse of your creation.

R_G_R
2013-04-07, 07:40 PM
Wow, this is really cool, though I wish I could say something more useful...
Would you mind if I use it in a game of my own (I assure my players will meet your work in the most gruesome manner :smallbiggrin:)?

Mephibosheth
2013-04-07, 07:57 PM
Definitely! Please let me know how it goes! Practical feedback like that is invaluable!

Mephibosheth
2013-04-08, 06:45 AM
While I am utterly shameless in linking my own work (although I provide reciprocal links when possible), I do also link to other people's work if I remember anything relevant and can find it, and in this case it wasn't even mostly about the Devotion Bower.

In this particular case, I felt that many entries could be relevant for their similarities on certain themes. The Mother of Teeth, for instance, plays the part of a lover who great lengths must be gone to to be united with. The Clone Couple also is a sort of inverse of your creation.

I did really enjoy reading through that thread. There are a lot of interesting creatures. It seems like creatures based on themes or love and romance tend to be pretty complicated; a lot of those creatures are just as open-ended and subtle as the Old True Love. Thanks for the link!

DracoDei
2013-04-08, 02:17 PM
I did really enjoy reading through that thread. There are a lot of interesting creatures. It seems like creatures based on themes or love and romance tend to be pretty complicated; a lot of those creatures are just as open-ended and subtle as the Old True Love. Thanks for the link!
You are quite welcome.