PDA

View Full Version : Two things I thought were going to be Empire of Blood plot points but weren't

Finagle
2013-02-15, 02:12 PM
1. Comic #754 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0754.html) where Gourntank says he has some information to give to the Empress. I thought it would be a plot point in the future. It turned out to be nothing, apparently my boy Gourn just said that to introduce her blibbity-blobbiness. Apparently the whole reason for big G's existence was to not make the Elven ambassador stick out. Shrug.

2. Comic #794 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0793.html) after so much had been made of the importance of papers in the EoB, and Elan getting special papers from his Dad, he loses them in this comic. I thought for sure there would be a followup where reaches for his papers and they aren't there. Sort of like when Indiana Jones reaches for his trusty revolver only to slap an empty holster. But there was no significance to his losing his papers at all, even though they're clearly depicted as floating away in the wind.

I remember reading these originally and thinking they would be important, but I had forgotten until re-reading just now. If there was going to be any followup on these, it would have already happened. Ah well! Serves me right for trying to assign meaning to every voice bubble and background detail.

Douglas
2013-02-15, 02:20 PM
For the first one, don't give up on it yet. There's a good chance that the sensitive information is about large numbers of reptilian people dropping dead simultaneously. That could be counted as already resolved, being no more than an obscure hint of foreshadowing for the full Familicide reveal, but one or more reptilian-dominated nations may still play important plot roles because of it.

For the second, yeah I got nothing.

Mike Havran
2013-02-15, 02:34 PM
1. I guess that will be important, the Empress may play her part in the events post-Girard's-Gate.

2. Nah. They have probably expired anyway.

ti'esar
2013-02-15, 03:50 PM
I never thought Gourntonk and his message were anything but background color, honestly. Never really understood why so many people thought otherwise, although the Familicide connection does make some sense.

KillianHawkeye
2013-02-15, 04:39 PM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Not everything is Chekov's Gun.

Caivs
2013-02-15, 04:46 PM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Not everything is Chekov's Gun.

Of course. Pavel Chekov only has one gun. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChekovsGun)

Gnoman
2013-02-15, 06:39 PM
As amusing as that may be, the surname of the Russian playwright in question has been Romanized in many ways, including Chekov, Checkhov, and Checkhoff.

Onyavar
2013-02-15, 07:37 PM
Just adding one other pet plot point: Durkons papers.

First, of course, there was the thing that after thirty comics I thought that Durkon will be arrested.
Then, when it didn't happen, I thought that in the 30th comic where Durkon appears in EoB and after he got his papers, he is arrested.

But - nope.
Being lawful and all that, he probably renewed them offscreen.
Or the giant canceled this lame joke after so many people pointed it out - it wasn't likely to become a major plot point anyway, so he dropped a panel dedicated to paperwork and put in a brand new joke that I probably enjoyed more.

dtilque
2013-02-16, 06:18 AM
One I thought was going to be important was Tarquin learning the names of the two prisoners Roy asked to have released. There's a fair amount of strip-space about it, but we never see him actually getting the info.

Mike Havran
2013-02-16, 06:39 AM
One I thought was going to be important was Tarquin learning the names of the two prisoners Roy asked to have released. There's a fair amount of strip-space about it, but we never see him actually getting the info.

It seems unlikely that Tarquin didn't learn it from Kilkil off-panel after the most recent Linear Guild was formed.

Winter
2013-02-16, 10:43 AM
It seems unlikely that Tarquin didn't learn it from Kilkil off-panel after the most recent Linear Guild was formed.

I think that is still important, but right now there is nothing Tarquin can do about it. First, he is busy himself and second, Ian did not run where Tarquin might expect him (where that traitor Geoff wanted him to go).