PDA

View Full Version : IC Knee Deep Iv.Shiny's Quest for the Giant's Stone

Zman
2013-02-15, 04:01 PM
Valen follows Shiny...

IC Knee Deep IV (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14717153&postcount=97)

Admiral
2013-02-15, 04:27 PM
Once the pair is out of the party's earshot, Shiny starts to speak. The tone of his voice is hardly out of the ordinary for the prankster, but his eyes imply a great seriousness.

"I'm not the wisest gnome in the giggle (a giggle is what you call a group of gnomes, you see, like a pack of wolves, a pride of lions or a buttload of giants). But there's one thing I can see, and that's that your place is here, alongside these soldiers. Their place too," he adds, gesturing back to the party with his eyes for the briefest moment, as the two keep walking towards the stable.

"But mine isn't- mine is off robbing giants. Not just because I opened some envelope- I never made a promise I wasn't half-ready to break. Not because I don't care about the people here. But because I wasn't built for this..." he gestures at the barracks around him. "Taking orders, going by the plans of others... I've never been one for the military life. (Well, except when I was a colonel in the Revolutionary Army during the Cream-puff Crusade, but you can read all about my reasons in the history books."

The two round the corner into the stables. "So we don't have much time. I asked you to join for two reasons. First, I ask to borrow that useful rod you carry, that one that lengthens spells- I'll need it if I want half a chance of surviving the journey. Consider it a cost for getting to stay and guard the outpost. The second..."

"Valen, I'm a gnome of many introductions, but few goodbyes. Goodness knows my previous traveling companions deserved-" Shiny suddenly pauses to choke up, but quickly recovers- "different than what they got. I know you're not much for words, but you're all I got now. Tell them why I left, and tell them I'll be back. I will be back at the outpost in four days time. Tell Miriam I'll be safe on my own, and tell Kurt I'm sorry I made a liar of him. Tell Natalia that the crawfish flew in at night and squished the storm out, she'll know what it means." Shiny stares him in the eyes. "I will see you in four days time, here at the outpost, with the gem of the giants in my pocket."

Zman
2013-02-15, 04:47 PM
Valen stands, still as stone as the Gnome divulges his plan...

"You take great risk gnome, and that is admirable. Our place is here. I wish you luck, what you have to face is both a daunting and difficult task. Good speed, Trickster of a Thousand Surprises."

Valen proceeds to quickly hand over the rod, "Know that if I do not collect this, of your corpse is risen again, it will be missing a finger.". Valen uncharacteristically winks as if the big man old miss the small gnome.

Valen also gives Shiny much of his provisions, all of his food, his rope, and any other things that would prove useful to the Gnome.

Maybe Shiny should leave the wand?

Admiral
2013-02-15, 04:56 PM
Valen stands, still as stone as the Gnome divulges his plan...

"You take great risk gnome, and that is admirable. Our place is here. I wish you luck, what you have to face is both a daunting and difficult task. Good speed, Trickster of a Thousand Surprises."

Valen proceeds to quickly hand over the rod, "Know that if I do not collect this, of your corpse is risen again, it will be missing a finger.". Valen uncharacteristically winks as if the big man old miss the small gnome.

Shiny smiles up as he takes the rod. "They might not all agree. The longer you wait to return from here, the lower their chances of stopping me. If I were you, I'd just pass the time here until they came looking for us- by then I'll be long gone." As if to accentuate the point, he claps his hands twice, then kicks both of his knees up to his palms in quick succession, casting his spell of speed.

"Four days, maybe five," he says, his eyes proud with his new noble attitute. "If I'm not back by then..." he smiles sadly and wistfully... "You spread the word of Shiny Giantrobber, cat burglar and gentleman deserter. And you take this party, and you take care of them..." He suddenly pounces up to grab Valen around the neck, staring straight into his eyes- "And then you come and rescue me!!!"

Shiny releases himself, his fingers already twisting in their arcane motions. Before he hits the ground, he has vanished from sight.

Zman
2013-02-15, 05:02 PM
As Shiny vanishes from sight, Valen simply states, "Life is full of surprises, that Gnome...more than his fair share."

Valen proceeds to wait for many moments before deciding to find the Lt of the Outpost.

Upon locating Lt. Serne Valen volunteers the five of them for the defense of Hulburg, asking a fair price for their help... but the Lt. handily refuses and offers a reasonable counter offer.

Again, Valen waits for the rest to find him...

Diplomacy[roll0]

Admiral
2013-02-15, 05:06 PM
Once invisible, Shiny races from the barn, his feet quickened by his spell. Once he's outside, he sprints across the outpost, making sure to keep a wide distance between himself and the rest of the party. He allows himself to waste one second glancing back at them before he sets his mind fully on his task.

Shiny runs straight out the north side of the outpost. He intends to take the longer, safer route to the giant's hoard, but for now he wants to get as much distance as he can between himself and the rest of the party as he can, especially while his invisibility and speed spells are in effect.

One thing- Shiny made sure he had enough provisions for the several days journey, and as much rope as he could get his hands on, before he cast the spells.

Whenever you want, ZMan, you can update the main IC thread with whatever Valen decides to do.

Zman
2013-02-15, 05:09 PM
Shiny makes it out of the outpost sight unseen, an in a matter of minutes crosses a great distance reaching the edge of the woodline before his spell fails him, even while loaded down by the supplies Valen gave him.

See Edit. Valen gave Shiny anything he needs.

Admiral
2013-02-16, 03:46 AM
No sooner has his first spell of expeditious retreat finished than Shiny quickly casts a second one, increasing his head start even as he doubts anyone is following him. Only after several more minutes of furious jogging does he stop to take a few breaths, and settle in for a long journey. He misses riding Tinkerbell, but it would have been too dangerous to bring her- he can turn himself invisible at the first sign of danger, but such an animal would be much harder to hide, and easier to track.

As Shiny walks, he takes careful note of his surroundings. While he is taking the safest path he is aware of, he knows that danger could lurk behind every corner, and he was never the best at recognizing it. He especially studies the shapes of the rocks along the trail- if something dangerous approached, he could duck behind one, or if no good spot were available he could conjure up an illusion of a rock to hide behind.

Shiny will continue the journey via the safest path he's aware of. If he makes it to nightfall safely he will find a place as safe as possible- something a decent distance from the trail, and camouflaged as best he can- and rest.

Zman
2013-02-16, 10:21 AM
Shiny makes good time....for one of his stature. The journey is long and dangerous. Dusk approaches, Shiny keeps his eyes alert...

Listen and Spot and Survival.

Admiral
2013-02-16, 01:01 PM
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]

Ouch!

Zman
2013-02-16, 02:11 PM
Walks and walks, momentarily confusing himself that there are two suns. Realizing he was walking backwards he manages to right his direction as the sun it setting. He has yet to see any hint of the approaching Giants.

As Shiny beds for the night, in a small hollow almost perfectly suited for a Gnome of his size.... it ended up being horribly uncomfortable, damp, cold, and came with a complimentary hoard of bugs. But, it was safe and Shiny awoke the next morning rested, and ready to continue his journey.

There really isn't much for trails, he's crossing rough terrain, but with general directions and map he should be able to find the Giant's.

At Shiny's current pace, it is a 2.5 total journey to the Giants. He will not have to wait until Nightfall as he will be arriving around Nightfall of the 8th day.

Admiral
2013-02-16, 02:47 PM
Shiny stretches, the crimp in his neck from his cramped sleeping conditions bothering him, before he continues his journey.

Same stuff, new day!

Zman
2013-02-16, 02:48 PM
Another day faces the Gnome, his short legs growing weary as he trudges along. The terrain becoming more and more hilly as the days drag on.

Another set of rolls.

Admiral
2013-02-16, 02:55 PM
I'll remember the rolls next time.

Should have brought Miriam along! Someone with a bit of wisdom wouldn't have gone amiss.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Zman
2013-02-16, 04:54 PM
As the day drags on, Shiny makes his way though a small woods in the valley of two hills. He is having difficulty navigating the rolling hills.

As he walks between two large trees he seems to suspend in mid air... as if caught in some kind of strong and sticky webbing.

As he looks up he notices a Large spider, maybe ten foot across scaling down the web towards him. Its maybe ten feet away, venom can be seen dripping from its fangs as it eyes its meal...

Initiative
Shiny[roll0]
Monstrous Spider(s?)[roll1]

Escape DC 13(Full Round Action)

Admiral
2013-02-16, 05:01 PM
For a moment Shiny thinks about nicknames- "Shiny Spiderkill? Shiny Webwalker"- before he remembers no one is around to hear them. He struggles to escape the web.

Escape Artist: [roll0]

Looks like I fell just short. Shame about that Armor Check penalty.

Zman
2013-02-16, 05:08 PM
Shiny manages to struggle free, but not with enough time to evade the spider...

The large spider closes the distance and attempts to sink his fangs into the small morsel of a gnome... but free Shiny is able to nimbly avoid the poisonous fangs...

As the Gnome looks around he can see two others Spiders scaling down their webs, maybe 60' away.

Shiny is still in contact with the ground, he gets a +5, so he escapes but it took a full round.

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Admiral
2013-02-16, 05:11 PM
How surrounded is Shiny by webs? Is it correct that it looks like he can run back in the direction he came from? What direction are the two other spiders? (Don't need a map, just an idea). Finally, is he still within range of an AoO from the spider?

Zman
2013-02-16, 05:16 PM
Shiny can move any direction, I would say he escaped through the web. One spider on his right, one coming from his left. He can either go the way he came, or press on without hitting the web again.

Admiral
2013-02-16, 05:19 PM
And is he within AoO range of the spider who just bit him? That will decide whether he Expeditious Retreats before or after he keeps moving.

Zman
2013-02-16, 05:24 PM
Yes, the one who just bit at him is within AoO range. You can cast defensively then move away. Or tumble, or risk the AoO.

Admiral
2013-02-16, 05:29 PM
Shiny moves swiftly away from the spider, careful to avoid giving the spider a chance at a bite.

I instead decided to do a full-round Withdraw action, which allows Shiny to move 40 feet. Shiny is proceeding forward, away from the web and towards the giant's hoard.

Zman
2013-02-16, 05:44 PM
Shiny is able to withdraw far enough from the two flanking spiders to deny them attack, but they are close are his heels. The one who's fangs he narrowly avoids charges after him....

Charge[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Zman
2013-02-16, 05:46 PM
The Large spider sinks his fangs into Shiny, injecting a health dose of poison into the Gnome.... The fangs go deep, but Shiny's strong constitution keeps him free of the poison's ill effects...

Critical Confirm
Charge[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Fort DC13(d6Str)[roll2]

What are the odds of that.... a double 20 and identical damage....about 1 in 3200...

Admiral
2013-02-16, 07:06 PM
Resisting the overwhelming urge to put as much distance between himself and the spider as possible, Shiny takes just a single step back. This step takes him into a familiar routine, where he first claps his hands then brings both of his knees up to touch his palms, casting a spell to give him great speed. Then he braces himself for the next attack.

I apologize- I originally posted this in the main IC thread! Luckily there are no rolls in the post so it is easy to transfer over..

Zman
2013-02-17, 12:53 AM
Dancing between the Spiders long legs, Shiny manages to get out of reach momentarily and cast his spell. The closest Spider again attempts to sink its fangs into Shiny, but it's large body prevents it's companions from being able to charge the small Gnome.

Shiny nimbly evades the Spider.

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

Admiral
2013-02-17, 09:42 AM
Shiny laughs as he evades the spider's reach, then skitters away, his speed far greater than before.

Full round withdraw. I believe 100'.

Zman
2013-02-17, 11:30 AM
As Shiny manages to break free and put distance between himself and the Giant Spiders, they seem to lose interest and begin to scurry back to their webs to await some other animal, easier prey.

Admiral
2013-02-17, 11:35 AM
Once Shiny is at a safe distance and the spiders have lost interest, he tries to heal his severe wounds. Since he's alone and in a dangerous environment, he says his fake clerical incantation to Vecna, Master of the Spider Throne, only under his breath.

I assume he has time to get a couple of spells in, though he keeps an eye on his surroundings as best he can and will stop if interrupted- he keeps casting until he is fully healed.

UMD: [roll0] Heal: [roll1]
UMD: [roll2] Heal: [roll3]
UMD: [roll4] Heal: [roll5]
UMD: [roll6] Heal: [roll7]
UMD: [roll8] Heal: [roll9]
UMD: [roll10] Heal: [roll11]
UMD: [roll12] Heal: [roll13]

Unless I am mistaken, that takes three charges in four rounds to get to full.

Once he is finished, he continues his journey, uninjured but more nervous than before.

Zman
2013-02-17, 11:55 AM
Shiny doesn't encounter any more problems arhat day and encounters no dangers. The every steepening hills and gradual incline signify his approach towards his goal.

1.5 days in, one more to go.

3 charges used.

Admiral
2013-02-17, 01:49 PM
Shiny finds another enclosed space to sleep in. He's nervous about predators following him, so after he lies down he spends half an hour pretending to sleep- he may not be skilled at survival, but he is still skilled at lying. Only once he is absolutely certain that nothing has been following him and waiting for him to sleep does he finally nod off.

If the night passes without incident, he springs to his feet, checks his possessions and surroundings, and continues.

Assuming Shiny makes it through the night:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Zman
2013-02-17, 01:53 PM
Shiny wakes without incident, surveying the landscape in the morning light he can see the mountain pass, ridges and cliffs the map spoke of. He will spend half of this day moving around further towards the north to approach from the proper direction.

As Shiny begins to make his final approach toward the Cliffs, he encounters a Giant patrolling the pass... At about 150'' the Giant picks up his head and looks in Shiny's direction, as if seeing the Gnome.

Assuming Shiny still comes from the north, and takes his time the final lege, hiding and moving silently,etc to arrive at dusk.

Edit: Bugger rolled a 20 Listen and 20 Spot. Shouldn't be difficult to evade, but still.

Admiral
2013-02-17, 09:22 PM
Shiny crouches the moment the giant sees him. He casts a spell of expeditious retreat and runs off in the opposite direction.

Shiny's just looking to get some distance, in order to circle around from a different direction. Without a map, I'll trust you to have him take whatever path seems most appropriate, whether that's directly a way, up to go around a bend that would hide him, or whatever. If he finds a very good hiding spot he might take it. He's also doing his best not to let the giant get a good look at him, such that the giant might think he's simply an animal, though he's not bothering with any illusions to that effect.

Zman
2013-02-17, 10:28 PM
Shiny is able to put ground between himself and the Giant, the distance growing by a couple of feet every few seconds. Using the terrain to hide him he turns further north using the ridge to fully block sight.

Shiny spots a hole in some tree roots and is forced to decide if he will attempt to hide or continue to put distance between himself and the Giant.

Spot[roll0]

Admiral
2013-02-18, 12:52 AM
I take it the giant is chasing after him with full effort?

Secondly, does Shiny have an estimate of how good the hiding place is? (Is there a good chance he'd be spotted?)

Zman
2013-02-18, 01:05 AM
The Giant is for the moment chasing shiny with double move effort.

Shiny believes he has a good chance of hiding here, though there is risk.

Admiral
2013-02-18, 02:27 AM
Shiny dives into the roots, careful to crouch as deep as he can into the roots before the giant is within sight.

I suppose he could just keep putting distance, but he might run into another giant, or trip. Time to make his play.

Hide check (thanks +4 due to size): [roll0]

Lower than I would have liked...

Admiral
2013-02-18, 02:32 AM
Shiny has a plan- right after ducking into the roots he would like to create a silent image of himself, within about a 500' line of sight, looking out towards the giant and then running away behind another ridge, into a cave or crevasse, or somewhere it would make sense for a gnome to run and that it would no longer be visible.

Is there any such location within a 500' line of sight?

Zman
2013-02-18, 06:48 AM
The small Gnome ducks around a corner, hastedly whispering an incantation and gesturing in the distance before hiding himself in the trees roots. An illusion are Gnome, much like Shiny springs into existence before ducking behind a thicket of trees and obscuring ridge line.

The Giant lumbers on by, his eyes searching. Shiny has the sickening feeling that if not for his illusion the Giant would have found his hiding spot. Seconds pass by, the giant continues on, slowing as he loses sight of his prey.

Well done.

Admiral
2013-02-18, 10:29 AM
When you say "slowing"- does it look like the giant has given up and will turn around, and therefore that Shiny should wait it out, or is he going to keep following the illusion of the gnome wherever it "went"?

Zman
2013-02-18, 12:42 PM
As the giant passes Shiny he seems to have lost sight of his Quarry, he slows, but continues in his same direction as before. It's difficult for Shiny to tell if the Giant will keep moving or could turn around any second.

Admiral
2013-02-18, 03:17 PM
Once the giant is a good ways towards the thicket of trees, the illusory gnome's head once again pops out of the thicket of trees it had disappeared into. It shows a look of horror, and then pops back in.

Shiny's illusion from earlier should still have been active (it lasts as long as he concentrates). And I doubt the giant gets a Will save since he should still be a long distance away from it and only saw it for a second or two. Just trying to get the giant angry and focused again.

Zman
2013-02-18, 03:40 PM
As the Gnome again becomes visible, the Gian't continues his pursuit putting a considerable distance between himself and the "real" Shiny.

Admiral
2013-02-18, 03:45 PM
Once Shiny is comfortable with the distance and the distractedness of the giant, Shiny steps out from his hiding place and moves back in the direction the giant originally came. He moves just slowly enough to stay relatively quiet until he turns the corner, and then starts running as fast as he can.

Shiny wants to continue going where he had originally been headed when he had run into the giant. He moves at half speed, 50 feet per round (standard for Move Silently) until he turns the corner, then starts moving his full speed once he is out of sight of the giant.

Shiny would like to take 10 on Hide and Move Silently if possible, for 18 and 15 respectively.

Zman
2013-02-19, 05:00 PM
Shiny manages to avoid any more unexpected inconveniences. Dark is nigh upon him as he finds himself staring up at a large cliff. Its closer to 300' than 200', but it is certainly the place. As Shiny approached the cliff with the last bit of light for the day Shiny was able to make out some forms moving up upon the cliff, there will be Giants, but from his vantage point he can make out little information.

Admiral
2013-02-19, 07:59 PM
Shiny approaches the bottom of the cliff, smiling at his relative success so far, but aware that the most dangerous part of his journey was beginning.

First, Shiny waits. With all his focus he listens for activity above, anything to get a sense if any guards might be traveling, speaking, or heading to bed. If he hears the noise of giants, he delays his action until he is sure it is routine guard duty.

I'll trust you to make the decision for Shiny when to start based on whatever intelligence was in the folder and whatever noise he can hear.

Once he decides to start, Shiny first prepares his equipment. He carefully and quietly removes his chain shirt, laying it gently down in the nearest hiding place- he'd move more quietly and skillfully without it, and he has a spell to replace it. He removes his rapier and lays it in the same place- while he enjoyed how the blade made him feel like an adventurer, he'd never once used it, and the weight was unnecessary. Finally, he sets down his crossbow and bolts. They had been useful at times, but if he has to use them against giants then the battle has already been lost.

Finally, he starts his spells, in an order he'd rehearsed in his mind the entire journey. He casts mage armor to replace his discarded chain shirt. He casts spider climb, giving him the power to scale the steep wall with little effort and no danger. He touches the rod Valen had lent him and casts an invisibility spell, disappearing from sight. He casts his spell of speed, keeping the usually kinematic motions as quiet as he possibly can. Finally, he casts another lengthened spell of silence on a stone he'd selected, one of a small enough size not to burden him but of a large enough size that he could easily pull it out and leave it somewhere.

And then, bathed in an eerie yet somehow comforting silence, he begins his climb.

All right, first (and likely easiest) third of the quest is complete, now comes the most exciting act!

Spells are:
Mage armor: 4 hours
Spider climb: 40 minutes
Extended Invisibility: 8 minutes - 2 rounds
Expeditious Retreat: 4 minutes - 1 round
Extended Silence: 8 minutes.

He will climb most of the wall as quickly as he can, so 40ft per round I imagine (assuming he can double move up the wall), and slow a bit when he approaches the top, keeping a careful eye to see if any giants are visible along the top ridge.

I have decided against the plan involving tying the rope somewhere on the mountainside, then jumping. Even if such a location exists (like a branch), Shiny has no ranks in Use Rope, and if the knot failed or the branch broke that would be a quick end to the quest. Besides, the rope wouldn't be invisible and might alert the guards, and even if he's discovered he can scale the wall quite quickly. He's still holding on to the rope just in case, though.

Zman
2013-02-19, 08:27 PM
Cliff

Shiny, shields by the cliff side is unable to hear any movement from above, with luck, neither will they be able to hear him. After going through the motions and sequence he practiced Shiny can barely avoid gagging while eating the bits of desicated spider, but manages. He begins scaling the cliff side....

The spells power corses through his veins and again he is nimble and able to climb like the giant spiders which were nearly his end but a day before. Shiny knows that if it weren't for his magic, this cliff sided would have proved the end of his journey. Slowing down as he nears the top, it takes but a minute for Shiny to scale the cliff.

Poking his head above the edge of the cliff, Shiny sees three male giants. One is about 150' away and standing outside of what appears to be a cave Entremce. The opening is maybe ten or twelve feet wide and as tall. He satnds even taller than an Ogre, wearing thickened Hide armor and wielding a sword that likely weighs twice what a shiny does,on a big breakfast day. Two other Male Giants are sitting around a silent flame barely 50' away. No female or young Giants can be seen, but one hut between Shiny and the cave appears to be shaking in a rhythmic fashion.

The easiest route to avoid the Giants involves following the cliff edge further North and around the perimeter of the camp. This will let Shiny stay at least a dozen feet from any structure or Giant with the exclusion of the Hill agiant adjacent to the cave entrence.

The biggest threat in sight is a pen of Dire Wolves, south along the cliff side, maybe four greed older looking wolves can be seen about 200' away, luckily the wind is blowing in a favorable direction and they are unlikely to scent him.

No, it's not in a Valley, but the cave against a Cave Wall, Shiny can sneak along the edge of the cliff and scale th back wall. The only Giant he comes in contact with is the one guarding the Entremce.

Admiral
2013-02-21, 01:29 AM
Shiny's eyes widen for a moment when he sees the dire wolves- scent is the only thing he couldn't mask. Once Shiny spots his path towards the cave, he starts to follow it- sneaking along the edge of the cliff and then proceeding up the back wall.

As he climbs, he starts speaking "aloud", trusting the silence spell to prevent the words from reaching any of his enemies. "Hello, I'm Shiny Stickyfeet, rock climber and record-breaking breath-holder. Cheers, the name's Shiny Scalesure, mountaineer and personal assistant." Even though he can't hear his own lies, it's comforting when they pass his lips.

As Shiny climbs along the cliff, he looks for a loose stone or pebble, or preferably two or three- something that can be surreptitiously picked up. He climbs until he is directly above the giant guarding the cave entrance, about forty feet away. He's been careful not to let any giant within 20 feet, lest they fall under the effect of the silence spell.

Just to be clear- unless the guard giant moves, there is no way to climb into the cave without him falling under the silence spell at least temporarily?

I want to see if all the above works before I do my next action. Shiny'll climb as fast as he can, but as I said he's got an eye out for a couple of loose pebbles- he's thinking of throwing them to create sound and get the guard giant to move from his position. (If those don't work, he's got other tricks up his sleeve).

Zman
2013-02-21, 02:11 PM
Shiny moves effortlessly along the cliff side until he is roughly 40' away from the giant. There are many small stones that he could easily grab if he so chose. As he examines the giant, he sees no way of making it inside of the cave without putting the giant entirely under the silence spell.

Admiral
2013-02-21, 03:48 PM
Shiny picks up a pair of small stones, then stretches himself so that he is leaning a bit away from the wall, his enhanced feet anchoring him in place.

He picks a point on the ground about 40' away from the guard giant, aims carefully and tosses one stone, then the other in quick succession, looking to make a suspicious noise that the giant will investigate.

Shiny wants to be above the giant diagonally- roughly 30 feet above the ground and 10 feet over (I know that makes the hypotenuse a little farther than 40 feet). He is aiming at a spot on the other side of the giant, and from this high above he shouldn't run any risk of accidentally hitting the giant. If necessary, he waits a round or two until the giant's head is pointed in the other direction, so that he won't see the stones or their trajectories. Ideally, the stones will clatter against the wall at a low point, though they might just hit the ground.

If Shiny should make any rolls for the throws, please make them for me.

Zman
2013-02-21, 07:08 PM
As shiny suspends himself off the cliff face, he manages to toss the stones past the Giant when the Giant wasn't looking, a sharp turn of the Giant's head and moment of its mouth seemed to represent success. The Giant Gets up, massive curved sword in hand and it begins to move towards where Shiny threw the stones. Shiny can see the two Giants sitting by the fire also get up and draw their huge weapons.

Shiny has his opening....

Admiral
2013-02-21, 07:25 PM
Once the giant is clear of the entrance, Shiny climbs his fastest right up to the gateway and into the cave, careful not to enter before the giant is out of range. He feels exposed crawling around so openly while the giants are on alert, but he trusts in his spells to keep him undetectable. He stays on the ceiling as he enters the cave, figuring it is unlikely to be trapped.

So far, so good.

Zman
2013-02-21, 08:16 PM
Shiny crawls into the cave, making sure to stay on the ceiling. The cave is dark, the only light is the hint from the fire outside, its not enough light for Shiny to make out things in the cave. The ceiling is damp, but Shiny has no trouble climbing along the ceiling.

Admiral
2013-02-21, 08:37 PM
1. I take it that Shiny's inability to see does include the effect of his low light vision?

2. Can Shiny tell based on the cave entrance, his journey so far, and what he can make out whether this is more like a tunnel or like a cavern with a single room? In either case, what are the rough dimensions, at least at the start in the part he can see?

Zman
2013-02-21, 08:48 PM
Yes, the only source of light is the Campfire, and that isn't directly outside of the cave entrance and is roughly 100' away from the cave entrence. The cave is mostly Pitch Black.

Admiral
2013-02-21, 09:11 PM
Once he is 40' into the cave, and thus safe from the giant stepping back into the range of his spell, Shiny takes a few moments to scout out the shape of the cave he's in. Keeping an eye on the faint light from the cave entrance, he circumnavigates the walls and ceiling of his current environment. He does everything he can to avoid touching the ground.

Shiny has concocted a plan for conjuring some light safely, but he knows it depends on the dimensions of the space he is in.

Shiny mostly wants to know if he is in a tunnel or a cavern. Hopefully the slant of the ceiling so far, as well as the walls immediately inside the cave entrance, should serve as hints. Again, he's trying to scout the walls without touching the ground.

Zman
2013-02-21, 09:43 PM
Shiny feels the ceiling growing gradually taller, sensing a small cavern maybe 30' in diameter and 40' deep. The cave is damp, with musty smelling air. Shiny keeps an eye on the pin prick of light which signifies the entrance.

Admiral
2013-02-22, 01:59 AM
Shiny climbs his way back to the center of the ceiling, and moves towards the entrance. He checks whether the giant guard is back at the entrance, and whether he's looking inward- and most importantly, that he remains outside the entrance to the cave.

Shiny carefully positions himself so that he is 20' away from the entrance, while still on the ceiling. Finally, he removes the enchanted, silent stone from his pocket, and drops it to the ground. He then sees whether he is still bathed in silence.

Shiny's very delicate plan is to use silence as a sort of "cork" to prevent anyone outside hearing him cast spells, since it prevents any sound from passing through the affected area. (In case it's not clear- Shiny is making sure that if he drops the stone, it won't include the giant in front of the entrance- if there is such a giant. I don't think that's too precise since it would be possible if there were a map).

After that, his current plan is to conjure some dancing lights that look like Will-O'-Wisps outside of the cave. The giants will hopefully figure they are either Will-O'-Wisps or a precursor to an attack from the outside, when in fact it's a way to shed some light into the cave. It should give Shiny just enough time to spot the stone, grab it, possibly generate an illusion to replace it temporarily and scurry his way out.

My original plan was to use obscuring mist as a cork for light in the same way that silence was a cork for sound. That would have worked if this were a tunnel. But now that Shiny figures that this is a cavern that's roughly 30' in diameter, there's just no way- obscuring mist would fill up the whole thing, and make it impossible to complete his mission.

Zman
2013-02-22, 03:57 PM
As Shiny drops the stone, coninueing the coverage of silence he sees that a Giant need did pass between the firelight and th cave entrance, but he cannot tell which direction he is looking or where the giant ended up outside of the cave. He is certain that he giant is outside of the cave.

Admiral
2013-02-22, 04:02 PM
I am sorry- to clarify- continuing the coverage of silence means that he is still under the effect of the spell? (and therefore that presumably the stone dropped less than 20 feet?)

Admiral
2013-02-23, 12:25 PM
Shiny is pleased when the silence continues- if the spell reaches the ceiling, it is less likely the sounds of his spells will escape the cave. He climbs to the back of the cave, taking note of the point in the ceiling that sound returns. He climbs, keeping his eye on the fire in the distance, until he is close to the ground.

He picks a point outside the cave that's about 30' outside the entrance- this next move is risky, but he has to shed light into the room somehow. He readies himself to look around the room and spot his target as fast as he can. Then he whispers his spell, keeping his voice as low as he successfully can, and four spheres of light pop out of the ground outside of the cave.

Zman
2013-02-23, 01:25 PM
Giant's Cave

Shiny climbs along the ceiling, as soon as he exists the bubble of silence he is assaulted with sound, most notably the sound of running water from the furthest corner of the cave, a small underground stream must cut its way through the cave providing fresh water, it also explains the relatively damp air inside the cave.

Suspended from the ceiling Shiny begins his arcane gestures and incantation, springing forth three balls of light outside of the cave. As soon as the light is conjured Shiny's eyes begin to immediately dart around the cave, his most shocking discovering is but ten or twelve feet below, the sleeping form of a female giant wrapped in thick furs with the small bundle of an infant giant in her arms. The young is nearly as large as Shiny himself. As Shiny finishes his incantation and light springs forth, her eyes open wide, waking from a slumber. She immediately stands child in arms, barely missing Shiny by a foot or two, she immediately begins calling, the guttural sound of the massive Giant's speech deafening after spending minutes in absolute silence.

The cave is relatively small, only thirty by fifteen paces, there is a large fur covered slab used as a bed, presumably by the Giant King and his mate. There also exists a small pile of treasure, including thick armors, some made of thick plate, or heavy chain, some ornate weapons presumably taken from those who challenged the giants. There also exists assortments of gold coins, shiny gems, and other assorted items valued by the Giant King. Shiny does not immediately locate the item he is looking for.

60x30'

Admiral
2013-02-23, 02:22 PM
Shiny has a plan but it will require a bit more visual understanding of the room's layout on my part, in particular where the treasure is relative to the giant's bed.

1) I think the room is 60 feet deep and 30 feet wide, with the silence stone dropped approximately 20 feet into the cave and the bed at the back of the cave. Is that correct?
2) Is the pile of treasure in the middle of the room or to one of the sides of the bed? (Or is some of it scattered everywhere?)

Alternatively, you could make a very simple map, though it's not necessary.

Finally, two rules questions:

1) The dancing lights does not say I have to maintain line of effect with the lights, only that I have to remain within range. So can Shiny move the lights so that he no longer has direct sight to them?

2) Does detect magic cast in an area that contains a giant count as an "attack" that would end invisibility?

Zman
2013-02-23, 02:53 PM
Ask and ye shall recieve (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiqQBH7wb0tvdHJDUm9lR0hEQnVVSTJQQmN1bmZCT mc#gid=0)

1. You must maintain line of effect for the Dancing Lights, or simply have them maintain position if you no longer have Line of Effect.

2. No, Casting Detect Magic would not count as an attack.

Admiral
2013-02-23, 04:27 PM
Greatly appreciated!!

1) What does the "?" on the map represent?
2) Is there anything visible on the table?

Zman
2013-02-23, 06:57 PM
There shouldn't be a question mark.

Nothing of note on the table, shadowy shapes of cookware.

Admiral
2013-02-23, 10:17 PM
Shiny knows he doesn't stand a chance of reaching the treasure unless the female giant leaves, and that she won't leave until others come- and that that's the last thing he wants.

He speaks a few words- the incantation he'd spoken to generate the dancing lights, only backwards. Outside of the cave, the lights wink out of existence, bathing the room in darkness again- he doubts that anyone outside the cave saw the female giant wake or yell (or so he tells himself). Having exposed his position with the incantation, he moves back 20 feet, towards the table.

Shiny dismissed the lights in the first action he had available after your post above. Perhaps it took a round for Shiny to look around the room and understand everything.

If this situation doesn't change (female giant keeps calling, for instance), Shiny will cast detect secret doors and then climb down to the wall right alongside the table, at which point he will sweep the room (starting with a cone that includes the wall alongside the table). He'll look back over his shoulder at the cave entrance before he casts, and will alter his plan if the giant runs out of the room or someone else comes in. I imagine the room could be swept in about three rounds- if he detects presence of secret doors he'll stop sweeping. Please ask me if there are any ambiguities.

Zman
2013-02-23, 10:21 PM
Did Shiny just give away his position by verbally dismissing the lights?

Admiral
2013-02-23, 10:28 PM
As noted, Shiny's plan was to do so then move 20 feet backwards, bringing where he is into question again. She's loudly calling right now, and once he's climbing will be in pitch black, so I figured her ability to pinpoint a location based on a few whispered words is low. (And dismissing a spell explicitly does not provoke an attack of opportunity).

This seems to me to avoid the greatest risk, which is more giants seeing her call and coming in. And he'd have to give his position away if he cast a spell anyway. (If it's not inappropriate to ask if you have a better idea, I would be happy to hear one).

ETA: Shiny's original plan was to have the dancing lights move to one side, which would put the room back in shadow, but you said he can't lose line of effect.

Zman
2013-02-23, 10:30 PM
Its not a bad idea. Though whispering then disappearing and killing the light is likely to get her to exit the cave buying Shiny at least a handful of rounds. I moved Shiny on the Map, he is now within the silence bubble. Also you have editing on the map for realtime chat about this.

Zman
2013-02-23, 10:31 PM
As Shiny whispers and disappears into the silence, his invisibility still holding, Shiny senses the female Giant moving past him towards the cave entrance.

Admiral
2013-02-23, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the very prompt updates and great adventure- will be gone for at least the next hour.

Admiral
2013-02-24, 04:39 PM
Once Shiny notices the female giant starting to leave, he climbs forward into the center of the room. He'll need cover for now, and confusion once the other giants come in- enough for him to escape in a hurry if necessary.

The moment he reaches the center, just outside the realm of silence, he unleashes a furious series of arcane motions, slightly disoriented by having to perform them upside down, culminating in throwing some invisible object to the ceiling in front of him. While he's in total darkness, he can hear the burst of mist appear around him. He then rushes forward to beyond the reach of the mist, and casts his cantrip of dancing lights again- only this time, choosing the lights to appear as a glowing, vaguely humanoid figure on the ground beneath him. He trusts the mist and the silence to give him a moment of privacy.

This done, he scrambles forward and drops right onto the treasure.

He goes right to J10 (J9 if J10 is under silence, can't tell), casts obscuring mist, climbs forward 20', casts dancing lights, scrambles forward down to the treasure (don't think that's more than 40'). Should be three rounds total if I'm not mistaken.

Shiny didn't mean to go into the silence, so if the action from his above post took more than one round (if he were "waiting" in the silence) he would have climbed back out, though I don't think that's the case.

Zman
2013-02-24, 05:23 PM
Shiny executes his plan in a blurry of motions, obscuring most of the cave in mist, creating a glowing shape to shed light, and quickly scampering towards the treasure. The only sound in the room is the flowing waters, seconds pass by and Shiny has yet to see or hear any response from the Giant's...though that is likely due to his own spells at work.

Now covered in light Shiny is able to more clearly make out the rear of the room. The Bed is a large fur covered slab, looks to be covered in dire wolf pelts. The underground stream creates a trough roughly a foot and a half deep by two foot wide and appears to be flowing water, like dropping off the cliff side below or flowing back deeper into the mountain.

The pile of treasure is much as it looked in the dim light, gold, some gems, and items taken from slain warriors. The stone for which Shiny seeks is naught to be seen.

Zman
2013-02-24, 07:15 PM
As Shiny drops onto the Giants treasure many wondrous things await him.

Sitting on a bed of gold and small gems lies a thick breastplate, a fine set of studded leather armor, a large steel shield, a massive tower shield, a black bladed dagger, two greatswords, a heavy set composite longbow, a scimitar, a bag of sling bullet, three potions, two wands, and an amulet.

Shiny Search
[roll0]

Admiral
2013-02-25, 10:29 AM
Shiny knows he has almost no time, especially if he still wants to acquire the stone. He grabs the two wands, the amulet, the dagger, the scimitar, the potions, and whichever greatsword looks fancier.

Greatsword is heavy but he can handle it, and if it's magical it'll make a nice gift.

How long would all that take to pick up? Shiny will spare no more than two rounds. If he can get a lot of it in one round he would do so and stop- I don't know the timing for shoveling things into a bag.

ETA: On second thought, the greatsword is unrealistic. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a sense for how many things he can shovel per round.

Zman
2013-02-25, 11:28 AM
As the seconds tick away and Shiny is unable to locate the stone, he quickly stores the small and easily packable items away, a scimitar, a dagger, two wands, an amulet, and three potions. He tries to move the greatsword, but quickly realizes what is realistic and what is not. As soon as he finishes he looks up to see a hideously large shape obscurred in the fog...

One per hand per move action, so four items a round. He didn't have time for the Greatswords anyway.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 11:50 AM
In the moments he has before the shape enters, Shiny chooses and casts his spell- another cantrip, this one carefully chosen to cover the sounds of his spells, and his escape if necessary.

The sounds of a band of rowdy, loud gnome voices springs into being in the middle of the room, sounding like a gang of about sixteen- perhaps soldiers preparing for a fight and spreading marching orders, or perhaps sixteen casters all trying to make their vocal incantations heard. Shiny hopes the babble is enough to drown out the noises he might make. At the same time, the glowing figure starts to dash around the room, as if looking for a way to escape.

After casting his spell, Shiny quietly climbs 10 feet up the wall, ensuring he's not in the same place he had been when his spell was cast.

Ghost sound, then make the dancing light dance (no concentration required).

Take 10 on Move Silently if possible for the movement.

Zman
2013-02-25, 12:54 PM
Shiny's spells to off without a problem as he scampers up the wall...two Giants appear, both swinging at the glowing figure with a massive club and sword each effortlessly passing through the figure of light. Each has exited the mist and silence bubble, confused by what lies around them.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 01:06 PM
Shiny is tempted to take his chance to escape, but decides he has just a bit more time to see if he can spot the stone.

He casts a divination spell that will let him locate secret doors, climbs along the wall towards the side with the table in case the giants heard his spell even over the din, and then turns his focus to cover both the fountain and the pile of treasure.

This happens in the round after the previous post. I am unclear whether detect secret doors round counting starts on the round that the spell is cast, or the next one.

Shiny's making sure the fountain and the treasure is within his 60' cone, as those are his two best guesses for the location of the secret door. I leave it to you to decide where it is reasonable for him to move, since I am not 100% clear on the ceiling height geometry. He certainly won't be close to the floor.

Zman
2013-02-25, 01:12 PM
Shiny makes his way across the room after casing his spell. As he looks towards the fountain and treasure he is made aware of a single secret compartment or door, though it's location remains a mystery...

As the seconds tick by Shiny knows he is not looking in the right place, it's to his right, near the wall above the bed.

In the meantime the two Giants are joined by a third, they begin searching the room, using their massive weapons.

One tells the third, <Giant>"Wolves. Hidden. Block entrence. Trap." as he motions towards the room.

Two rounds.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 01:48 PM
Shiny makes his choice. Ignoring the urge to flee, he casts a quick illusion.

A gnome appears out of midair, standing on the ground five feet in front of where the invisible gnome is actually standing. The image of the gnome looks down at himself, apparently shocked at his visibility, and then darts straight past the giants into the mist.

Shiny then climbs so that he is suspended upside down right above the secret door.

Since this is an illusion, presumably I can have the illusion "tumble" to avoid an attack of opportunity from passing by the giants, even if the giants could have gotten one (and would have been able to recognize the illusion on a successful hit).

Your meta hint in OOC could not be more appreciated.

Zman
2013-02-25, 02:10 PM
The Illusion created by Shiny attempts to flee through the two Giants, each takes a mighty swing... Both Giants are able to hit the Gnome figment but neither is able to see through its illusion. Both turn and give chase into the Fog...

Once cast Shiny moves himself avove the secret compartment, a large stone, barely recognizable can be removed from the wall. Shiny will struggle to move it and he may be unable to while suspended from the wall.

Anything But a 1[roll0]
Will[roll1]

Anything But a 1[roll2]
Will[roll3]

Figments have an AC equal to 10+ Size Modifer

Admiral
2013-02-25, 02:13 PM
If I'd known about the rule for AC I wouldn't have cast the figment (certainly a 1 in 400 chance neither hit isn't one I'd want to take), or I would have had the figment appear close to the smoke and then run in. Alternatively, is there any way the figment could have avoided any AoOs in its movement? (At least there must have been a way to get only one AoO).

ETA: I am quite sorry- please ignore the above! Silly me- I forgot that it could hit and still fail the will save.

Zman
2013-02-25, 02:16 PM
No problem, still worked out.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 02:17 PM
Does Shiny believe that the stone weighs less than 30 pounds?

Zman
2013-02-25, 02:19 PM
As Shiny looks at the large stone, it must be at least a hundred pounds.

Giants hidyhole remember.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 02:23 PM
Once the giants have disappeared into the mist, Shiny takes his moment to cast his spell, a spell that lets him through doors he could never otherwise penetrate, while still remaining upside down above it.

Casting knock. Since detect secret doors found this, it presumably counts as a door.

Zman
2013-02-25, 02:27 PM
As Shiny casts his spell, the stone shudders and slides out a small degree leaving a crack outline around one edge.

It is not lock, and is open. Knock does not remove the stone for the same reasons it can't raise a bard porculus.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 02:31 PM
That's very disappointing (as that was his last L2)- I considered asking whether Shiny would know knock not to work, but didn't want to have to keep asking questions. I figured that it counted as a "secret door" as he had discovered it using the spell, and secret doors are listed among the things knock can open.

Zman
2013-02-25, 02:34 PM
It is a secret compartment and knock did open it. But, Knock will not do the heavy lifting of moving a mundane rock. It did open the compartment, allowing for some basic prying. Just as Knock undoes a lock, it does not open the door.

I found it a fair interpretation of the rules.

Edit: to be clear, it will now take little effort for Shiny to remove the rock. Much less than before.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 02:37 PM
Understood. If you feel that Shiny would have known that, it would be amazing if he could undo the action (he's stranded without an L2 spell now) but 100% fair if you say he cannot, and in any case I will not address it any further.

Does Shiny have a rough estimate of how long it would take to pull the stone out if he were standing?

Zman
2013-02-25, 02:40 PM
As Shiny examines the now opened compartment, he guesses he can pry the rock completely free with the use of any lever such as the dagger or scimitar.

One round.

Has Shiny not cast Knock, it would have required some Str Checks.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 02:44 PM
The actions I regret always work out. This quest is just the greatest. I am quite sorry to have rule lawyered (I'm tense, I hope understandably so.)

If Shiny needs to have dropped to the ground to have the leverage to pry the rock away in one round, he does so, otherwise he stays in his upside down position.

Shiny draws the dagger and wedges it into the rock, working hard to pry it free from the wall.

Zman
2013-02-25, 07:23 PM
Shiny manages to quickly pry the large rock free, it lads near his feet with a loud crash, the echo made distorte by th bubble of silence. When Shiny looks inside he expects to see the stone sitting there, but I his surprise the compartment is empty. Inside there is a spot in the dust and dirt where the stone sat, but it is no longer there.

I'm sorry Admiral, I feel this one Requirs explanation. I rolled a random chance before you chose for Shiny to go alone, and the King took his prized possession with him. Sorry you got sent on a fools errand. And I understand how heated moments can get, no offense taken.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 07:32 PM
Shiny manages to quickly pry the large rock free, it lads near his feet with a loud crash, the echo made distorte by th bubble of silence. When Shiny looks inside he expects to see the stone sitting there, but I his surprise the compartment is empty. Inside there is a spot in the dust and dirt where the stone sat, but it is no longer there.

I'm sorry Admiral, I feel this one Requirs explanation. I rolled a random chance before you chose for Shiny to go alone, and the King took his prized possession with him. Sorry you got sent on a fools errand. And I understand how heated moments can get, no offense taken.

Shiny shrugs with a smile. "I was hoping this would happen," he lies to himself, as skillfully as ever. And then he skitters off across the ceiling, heading full speed towards the cave entrance.

It happens! I grabbed some loot and XP. And I'm very glad that Shiny didn't take the rest of the party with him- this way they got to be productive during his quest. (What's more, now R can't hold it against us- it was their information that was at fault).

Zman
2013-02-25, 07:36 PM
As Shiny nears the entrence he sees two Giants blocking the exit, though if he is careful he can squeeze out without touching either, luckily the stone of silence is still covering the majority of the entry way.

DC10 Escape Artist, luckily they didn't think you're be on the ceiling.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 07:54 PM
As Shiny races towards the entrance, the ghastly sight of two upside-down giants greets him. He immediately steps back just outside the realm of the silence stone, and casts yet another illusion.

In the space in front of the giants, an gnome appears, running out of the mist. He stops when he sees the two giants, then pauses, grabs some components out of his pouch, and starts the motions of casting a spell, slowed down for having to cast it in silence.

Shiny's trying to goad one of them forward so he can slip around. Shiny actually won't be able to see the illusion through the mist, until he crawls forward after casting it. Let me know if that means the spell won't work- he would do something else.

Incidentally, I take it it's not possible to take 10 on that escape artist check? (If it were he would totally do that instead of the illusion :smallwink:)

Zman
2013-02-25, 08:03 PM
I don't think he can cast where he can't see. No, no taking 10 on that.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 08:08 PM
Shiny moves forward, then carefully edges his way above the giants, along the ceiling. If he touches one, he'll do everything he can to spring away before he can be grabbed. Otherwise, he starts climbing straight up, to get to a safe height above the entrance.

At least no armor, so no penalty. Let's see:

Escape Artist: [roll0]

Ouch, so close!

Zman
2013-02-25, 08:28 PM
Shiny manages to squeak through the narrow space exiting the Cave. In the distance he can see a Giant leading two Dire Woves by thick chains.

After retreading the skills, Tumble was the more appropriate choice, not escape artist. It's a success.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 08:42 PM
As soon as Shiny's in the open air, he climbs straight up 40 feet above the entrance, getting some distance between himself and the giants. He climbs slower now that he's no longer under the protection of his silence spell.

Half speed, 20' per round, taking 10 on move silently. (I'm know I'm taking 10 a lot, but I'm not too into the idea of dying in the middle of nowhere due to a natural 1!)

Time for a question. Based on the geography of the mountain he's observed while walking around it and all the information he gleaned from the folder, is it a reasonable shortcut to climb over the mountain? Is there a giant camp on the other side of the mountain or something, or does he think his roughly 35 minutes of spider climb wouldn't last the whole trip?

ETA: Something that just hit me. When Shiny gets back, he's going to tell the party the story of how he made it all the way to the secret compartment, opened it, and it was gone. And no one will believe him. Heck, it'll probably be hard to convince achinca!!!

Zman
2013-02-25, 09:00 PM
Shiny is careful as he scales the cliff, higher and higher. As he moves one of the Giants seems to hear something, but is unable to locate the source of the sound. Shiny has not been made.

Going over the mountain is not a significant improvement to speed, and 35 minutes is not long enough.

True, this is likely to be a Shiny story.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 09:07 PM
Once up at a safe distance, Shiny takes a route back down towards the bsse of the cliff similar to the one he took up. This time he moves half as quickly as he did coming up, until he is halfway down the cliff, at which point he scales the rest cautiously but at his full pace.

Zman
2013-02-25, 09:09 PM
Shiny manages to make his way to the bottom of the cliffside without incident, he finds the pile of gear he had left previously.

Admiral
2013-02-25, 11:10 PM
Shiny tosses his chain shirt back on, and picks up his crossbow and rapier- his new weapons are almost certainly more effective, but they're too large for him to wield effectively. He wastes not a second in starting his getaway, wanting to make the most of every moment his invisibility lasts.

Before Shiny starts, his curiosity gets the better of him. He grabs the amulet from the bag, and tosses it around his neck, curious if it grants him a clue as to its nature. Whether it does or not, he starts his journey.

Let's all hope the amulet isn't cursed.

I added up the weight and I think he's fine- his new stuff weighs about 5.5 pounds total (4 scimitar+1 dagger+assorted very light things). I imagine that roughly four minutes have passed, so Shiny's expeditious retreat (never used, actually) is running out right around now.

Shiny will travel as best he can throughout the night to get out of giant territory. If he takes nonlethal damage he'll heal himself with the wand. Third and final act of Shiny's journey commences.

Zman
2013-02-25, 11:22 PM
As Shiny dons the amulet he feels healthier, sturdier, made of sterner stuff. Shiny is able to make his way safely out of Giant territory. The going in the Dark is slow, but Shiny pushes on through the night, fighting off exhaustion. Shiny is out of the Giant's territory and begins the long journey home.

Admiral
2013-02-26, 12:49 AM
Ahh, an amulet of health (I'm guessing)! Good gift for one of the fighters.

Is there a way to use a mysterious wand in order to find out what it does, presumably spending a charge or needing a few spellcraft rolls in the process? If there is, Shiny will do so before continuing further, possibly to comic effect- one of those wands could be useful.

Shiny decides against resting during the day- while many of his spells are gone, he doesn't want to travel more at night, nor to delay his return. He pushes onward during the day, expecting to rest at sunset. If the journey becomes too difficult, he makes use of the healing wand he'd brought along.

Zman
2013-02-26, 08:56 AM
Shiny, having donned the amulet begins playing with the two wands he procured. The first, he seems to be unable to figure out, but the second seem to faintly prickle his hand like static electricity.

Shiny attempts to march through the day, having not stopped for rest since the previous morning. Fourteen hours the Gnome marched, stopping only long enough to bolster his body using the wand of healing. Hour after hour he marches back towards the Outpost.

11 Charges

Are you taking the direct route, or the long way around again?

Admiral
2013-02-26, 09:45 AM
Shiny, having donned the amulet begins playing with the two wands he procured. The first, he seems to be unable to figure out, but the second seem to faintly prickle his hand like static electricity.

Shiny attempts to march through the day, having not stopped for rest since the previous morning. Fourteen hours the Gnome marched, stopping only long enough to bolster his body using the wand of healing. Hour after hour he marches back towards the Outpost.

11 Charges

Are you taking the direct route, or the long way around again?

Shiny proceeds along the longer, safer route back to the outpost, the same way he came. He keeps an eye out for danger, especially spider webs- while his experience climbing around giants has given him a new empathy for arachnids, he's still not inclined to wind up as one of their meals.

Wow, 11 charges! Would there have been a practical way to do it only alternating hours, or would that have led to fatigue? And did he not get Fortitude saves (or he did and failed them?) 11's not undoable (before long we'll need a CMW wand, aka a KeepUsMoreAliveStick), just wondering.

Zman
2013-02-26, 10:01 AM
No, as Shiny had to begin making checks right away as he adventured all day. Checks are DC10+2 per hour. Shiny ony made a couple of the early ones and spend one charge per failure. But, he has effectively been working at a high capacity for pushing 48 hours now.

Admiral
2013-02-26, 10:07 AM
No, as Shiny had to begin making checks right away as he adventured all day. Checks are DC10+2 per hour. Shiny ony made a couple of the early ones and spend one charge per failure. But, he has effectively been working at a high capacity for pushing 48 hours now.

Understood! Anyway, Shiny's just walking. (if he's lucky and doesn't hit an encounter, he'll be back before we know it, and I'll start my "vacation" of waiting for the clock to catch up!)

And Shiny's not capable of using either wand until they're properly identified?

Zman
2013-02-26, 10:45 AM
Shiny can attempt to activate them blindly.

Zman
2013-02-26, 08:32 PM
Trail Towards the Outpost

Shiny manages to travel through the night and through the next day. Only his divine sanction and judicious use of the wand he borrowed from his companions kept him on his feet. Though sheer luck or skill, no one can be certain, Shiny manages to travel the full day, dead on his feet without running into a single danger. Dark of the fourth day begins to creep up on Shiny and he is exhausted, the rejuvenating powers of the wand beginning to pale once again...

Shiny Levels upon sleeping.

Admiral
2013-02-26, 08:55 PM
Shiny lays down, having used up much of the wand's power in his effort to make distance between himself and the giants he had so narrowly escaped. He still is cautious of giant rangers tracking him, and so despite his exhaustion he stays awake for a few minutes after curling up, waiting to see if anyone has followed him. But soon his eyes close shut for the first time in two days, and Shiny sleeps. Even though he knows he's out of danger, Shiny falls asleep with a grin on his face, ecstatic from the thrill of outwitting his imposing foes.

Hooray! This is an easy one to level. Happy to get Silent Spell (that would have come in handy on the mission!)

Zman
2013-02-26, 09:02 PM
Nights Rest

As Shiny finally succumbs to exhaustion, passing out with a smile on his face he dreams. Lucid, beautiful dreams, dreams that make one wish to never awake. But awake Shiny did, fully refreshed he feels the gentle kiss of a lovely woman...as the fog of waking passes Shiny opens his eyes just in time to see a long pink tongue pull back into a long snout, above the snout lies a long horn. In an instant the unicorn turns and leaves, leaving Shiny as rested and refreshed as any day in his life.

Admiral
2013-02-26, 09:26 PM
Shiny grins when he sees the unicorn and springs to his feet in a single acrobatic motion.

"Greetings!" says Shiny heartily to the rapidly disappearing unicorn. Before he knows it his knees are springing up to his palms, casting a spell of speed, and he starts jogging after her. "Name's Shiny Hornholder, unicorn whisperer and theater critic- so nice to see a friendly face. But I have so many questions- is it true that only female virgins can ride you? Can you introduce me to any?"

Unicorn! Ha!

It makes no difference to Shiny if the unicorn seems completely disinterested. He is just starved for company and hasn't made a fake introduction in days, so he follows her and talks until she's out of sight (can outrun him I believe).

Zman
2013-02-26, 09:36 PM
The Unicorn seems rather disinterested in Shiny, she, from Shiny's viewpoint obvious, let's Shiny keep up with her for a few moments before beginning to pull away. ShinASIs sure she smiled at him though. As if running into nothingness she simply fades from being, the smell of springing the air. It takes a second but Shiny realizes he faded with her and as he looks she speeds away, shiny has no hope of catching her.

When Shiny stops running he finds himself in a glade of wild spring berries, the size of which he'd never seen. It appears if Shiny won't need to eat rations this day. As Shiny looks around the Mountains appear further than before...

She has 60' speed and that was a Greater Teleport for the two of you. She cut a day off of your journey.

Gotta love good random encounters!

Admiral
2013-02-27, 12:55 AM
Shiny laughs as he looks around at his new surroundings. Not only had the unicorn spirited him closer to his destination, but she'd removed any chance he could possibly be tracked. Shiny laughs, and turns to shake his fist towards the mountains, the bag of treasure he'd stolen from them held aloft.

While Shiny eats his meal, he decides it's time to figure out what the second wand does. He fiddles with it, trying to cast it the same way he had used his healing wand. He's about to explain that he's an amnesiac wizard who remembers how to cast his spells but not what they do, until he recalls that no one is around to hear him.

Not sure what the effect of the spell will be, he tries aiming it at the nearest tree. If it doesn't work, he walks up and tries touching the tree with it.

If Shiny speaks in the forest but no one is around, is he still a liar?

Shiny will keep trying UMD checks. Of course I know that some spells won't work unless they have a creature to target, and he's not about to point it at himself.

Shiny is pretty sure the other wand casts an electricity spell. Metagame I'm obviously pretty confident it's shocking grasp.

Zman
2013-02-27, 08:10 AM
As Shiny begins waving the wand around, uttering nonsensical terms the wand immediately responds as he casts it upon a tree. All sound in the are seems to disappear, the sudden silence stuns shiny to the point of tripping and falling. Unfortunately, Shiny is unable o hear himself laugh.

Got it in one. Wand of Silence.

Admiral
2013-02-27, 09:39 AM
Shiny grins at having such unlimited access to a spell he'd earlier found so useful. As he does a backwards roll into standing up, something occurs to him- something he'd been considering during his careful acrobatics in the giant's camp.

While still bathed in silence, Shiny turns around, and focuses carefully on his objective. His hands make a few quick, showy bursts, and then he puts his finger to his lips. A glowing, vague figure just like the one in the cave appears out of the air in front of him, despite him not having uttered a single sound. The figure looks around, as if as surprised as Shiny is at his successfully wordless conjuration.

Shiny again cackles silently, and goes for a high five with the glowing figure, who returns it with more enthusiasm than effectiveness. Then he finishes his meal, careful to note how long it takes for the silence to disappear on its own. Finally, he continues his journey in the opposite direction of the mountains.

Cast Silent Dancing Lights (as a full round action, of course).

Zman
2013-02-28, 09:47 AM
Shiny travels all day, refreshed and ready to make it back to his companions, this day passes by relatively quickly. The sun makes its path through the sky, Shiny takes some time to eat before he keep moving. All in all it was a peaceful day. As Dusk approaches Shiny knows that he will make the Outpost by noon the next day.

Admiral
2013-03-10, 07:17 PM
Shiny lays down to rest, once again continuing his habit of waiting a a few minutes after lying down to watch for any predators before succumbing to sleep.

If the morning comes without incident, he springs to his feet and starts the last leg of his journey.

Zman
2013-03-10, 10:32 PM
Asleep in the Forest

As Shiny dozes off, he is awakened by crashing in the forest. As he opens his eyes he can see off in the distance nearly two dozen Giants making haste all around him. Its only by small size and and silent sleep does he remain unseen as the Giants appear to have other things to worry about.

Shiny is free to return ot the Outpost, insert reason for two days to pass at the Outpost for Shiny to return.