PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a drow house

Yaitanos
2013-02-15, 04:38 PM
In my campaign the party has somehow convinced two drow archeologists to request aid from their house, aid which is actually very beneficial to the houses ends. So, as annoying as it is, I have consented to to let the party traverse down to the underdark to meet with the heads of the house. See if they can... convince them to supply the 'right' aid.

And thats where you come in my happy forum browsers. I'm in need of several, if not dozens of unique drow for this house. So instead of making them all myself and possibly frying my brain in the process; YOU get to make them. Create one, create two, create up to five drow that I can use for this story. Post their classes, feats, first name and their five most prominent skills (more if their class requires them).

There are rules to this party, so we don't get too out of control and break the furniture. And here they are;
1: Every drow built must either be deepwyrm drow, draconic or half dragon, all of the deep dragon variety. (All members of the house are blood relatives. Outside consorts are used to keep the blood fresh, but not welcomed as part of the house.)
2: Characters built may have one other template on top of the dragon blood. Only of the extraplaner variety such as shadow or umbral, or elemental, or fey.
3: Characters may only have one flaw and one trait.
4: While it is encouraged to build characters of lower level, you can build up to ECL 10. Females up to ECL 12.
5: Regional feats are allowed, regional requirements negated.
6: No character with a build of over ECL8 may possess the Highborn feat.
7: First names only, all house members will have the same family name.

Other than these limitations have fun. I do ask that you don't go too crazy, but eh. We're gamers.

Yaitanos
2013-02-17, 05:40 AM
Wow, nothing at all? Not even a comment? Yikes. You ask a feat, rule, or build question and you get dozens of builds thrown at ya. Actually give people the request for builds and nothing.

Pesimismrocks
2013-02-17, 06:19 AM
Shuiera
Level 5 Venerable Draconic Male Drow
Class: Dragonfire Adept 5
Main skills: Diplomacy, Bluff, Listen, Knowledge (Arcana), and Knowledge(History)
Feats: Probably a lot of Metabreath feats as well as Skill focus Knowledge History

Vicafae
Level 6 Half Dragon Female Drow
Class: Cleric 4, Marshal 2
Main skills: Intimidate, Diplomacy, Bluff, Knowledge (Religon)
Feats: Leadership, Weapon Focus, Live my nightmare, Intimidating Strike

Gildedragon
2013-02-17, 06:35 AM
Thing is; do you have any ideas for the drow house? Themes, relevant members of this family?

Lorsa
2013-02-17, 12:43 PM
I would like to help you but I don't know which setting it is nor do I believe myself knowing what half of those templates does to a character. How important is the draconic heritage to the house? Which deity do they worship? What is the general aligment for the house? It's quite possible I might lack some fancy books though, as there are some feats mentioned by Pesimismrocks that I've never seen.

Yaitanos
2013-02-18, 05:47 AM
Lay, so I guess a little backstory on the house would be relevant. So here it is, all the important stuff ya need.
Deep dragons often work closely with drow to meet mutual goals, some in secret, some openly. One such dragoness decided to be a little more direct in her use of the drow, but without having to worry about them having their own agenda. Using nearly all of her hoarde she founded a house, putting herself as the matron. After a somewhat rocky start, it took off, giving her many useful resources to track down her ultimate goal; the secret library of Io hidden somewhere deep in the underdark. While her prop name is Matron Nasus, she is simply referred to as the great mother (Zhennu ilhar in the drow tongue, jennu dask in draconic).
The two brothers are Lienad and Sacul, both archeologists who were sent out to find information about the library where they could. Basically not allowed back unless they have worthwhile information. Lienad is a rogue who has mastered his innate magic to create darkness to the point that the plane of shadow has imbued a bit of itself into him. Sacul a warlock who uses the faint trace of fiendish blood in his veins to empower his magic.
Another prominent member, though he has no idea of the connection between himself and the house having been whisked away from another houses attempt to kill him by his gloura father, is Ja'fir. An unseelie sorcerer who is blind but wishes to end the pure blood drow who tried to end him because of his impurity. He is on the fast path to power on the surface and the house is secretly keeping tabs on him and his growing number of half drow followers.
That's pretty much the gist of things. The house is pretty large and even kinda large spread. They aren't as into the whole pure blood thing as most houses are, being dragon blooded and all that. So they are all very varied in nature and occupation. Also an asset as it lets them cover more bases to find information on Io's library.
Deepwyrm drow can be found in the dragon magic book. Same book as the dragon fire adept class. Which for the purpose of this game does not automatically qualify for metabreath feats. They much have a feat that makes their breath weapon have a recharge expressed in rounds before they can qualify for them.
Other than what's stated here, and in the initial rules, have fun with the characters. The more interesting the better.

Siltharon
2013-02-18, 12:10 PM
Ok well then I'm gonna create like 1 or 2 builds for you. I'm gonna use psionic classes for both since I'm really big fan of that so hope that's no problem for you. They gonna be quite strong but not overpowered and probably not entirely optimized. Hope it fits you game after all.

I assume there is no la-buyoff? Because then a Draconic Drow already has an la of +3 (with another template +4) and at ecl 10 just 4 charakterlevels.
Build following shortly.

Siltharon
2013-02-18, 02:08 PM
1. Eshiris // Agentlike ... social and sneakskills
Build
Race: (male) Dark Draconic Drow
Class: Psychic Rogue 5
Stats: Str 10 Dex 18(16) Con 14 Int 21(19) Wis 14 Ch 16
HP: 30
Skills: Concentration 10, UPD 11, Move silently 18, Hide 20, Diplomacy 15, Bluff 11, Sense Motive 11 , Autohypnosis 11, Tumble 11, Jump 7, Disguise 9
Saves: WILL +3 REF +8 FORT +3 (+2 WIL against spells etc)
Attacks: Dagger +8, 1w4+1 (19-20/x2)
Initiative: 6
Ac: 20 (+5 chain, +4 dex, +1 nat)
Movement: 40 ft
Special Abilities and Racial Abilities: 120 ft Darkvision, Spelll. Ab.: [dancing lights, darkness, faerie fire], Superior Low-Light Vision, 2 Claws (1w3), Hide in Plain Sight, Resistances: Cold 10, Sneak Attack +2w6, Trapfinding, Evasion, Danger Sense
Feats: Psicrystal Affinity, Darkstalker, Weaponfinesse
Flaw: Shaky
Important Gear: Mithral chainshirt +1, Dexitem +2, Intitem +2, 2xDagger +1 (usually Hidden)
Manifesting: 18 PP // 4 powers known // DC: 15+Level
Powers known: Vigor, Compression, Create Sound / Thought Shield
Psicrystal: (Nimble) / Feats: Hidden Talent (Conceal thoughts), Powerpenetration

2. Nashya // entirely wisdom based monkstyle fighter (just works if you allow Shiba Protector though and remove exalted from intuitive attack :/ ... since it's NPC and you are DM should be no problem anyways and the build is really fun and it's not op anyways ... if you don't want to allow it just skip this build then)
Build
Race: Draconic Drow
Class: Psywar 7 / Monk 1 / Shiba Protector 1
Stats: Str 12 Dex 14 Con 16(14) Int 14 Wis 24(20) Ch 12
HP: 71
Skills: Psicraft 12, Concentration 15, Tumble 16, Spot 9, Listen 9, Autohypnosis 12, Jump 10
Attacks: (assuming Flurry and Snapkick) +20/+20/+20/+15, 2w6+10 (Snapkick just +9) (+2w6 against good creatures) -> with Expansionx2 4w6+12 on main and 4w6+10 on snap (hit worsens by 2)
Saves: WILL 15 REF 8 FORT 11
Initiative: 4
Ac: 22 (7 wis, 2 dex, 2monk, 1ring) with Inertial Armor: 30 (assuming 9pp->8 with torc)
Movement: 40 ft (Freedom mantle)
Special Abilities and Racial Abilities: Drow traits and Draconic traits, Unarmed Dmg: 2w6 (lvl 13), Flurry: +1 attack no malus, Acbonus: 9 (7wis,2base), Mantled warrior ACF (freedom mantle), No thought
Feats: [Iron Will through Otyugh Hole], Alertness (with Psicrystal), Combat Expertise, Psicrystal Affinity, Practised Manifester (Psywar), Monastic Training (Psywar), Intuitive Attack, Tashalatora, Improved Trip, Snap Kick
Flaws: Meager Fortitude
Important Gear: conitem +2, wisitem +4, Monksbelt, Torc of Power Preservation, Unholy Necklace of Natural Attacks +2, Ring of Protection +1, Resistance Cloak +2
Psicrystal: Nimble / Feats: Hidden Talent (
Manifesting: 46 pp / 7 powers known / DC: 17+Level
Powers known: Vigor, Dimension Hop, Inertial Armor, Expansion / Damp Power, Power Weapon, Hustle /

both more stylebuilds and not overly strong .... hope it's enough information and it's easy to tweak things you don't like about them ( for example give the first one skillpoints in disable device, search etc)

Yaitanos
2013-02-19, 02:13 AM
I assume there is no la-buyoff? Because then a Draconic Drow already has an la of +3 (with another template +4) and at ecl 10 just 4 charakterlevels.
Build following shortly.
Unless they are draconic, as in the lesser form of half dragon, deepwyrm drow have the same level adjustment as normal drow. They are like silver brow humans or glimmerskin halflings. Just a dragon blooded racial variant.

Other than the movement speed on the second character, these builds look fine. For some reason I find it hard to believe that a freedom mantle monk would have a movement of 12 feet.

Lorsa
2013-02-19, 06:55 AM
Well, I am currently not at home and don't have access to any books (although some of them I believe I might have to search for anyway) but I can give you a few character ideas and then you can see if it's worth having stats on them. I don't necessarily create the most über-optimized characters though, as I find story and character to be more interesting than stats. Here are a few ideas anyway:

Neerrar, male lowish-level fighter-type
Not the brightest star in the family, what he lacks in wits he makes up for in cruelty. He always tries to find the most powerful person to serve and ally himself with, as while he isn't intelligent he is certainly not stupid. He would be the epitome of a turncloak.

Szornozz, male high-ish level wizard
Intelligent and scheming, while he serves the house's great mother on the surface (I mean he appears to serve her, not the literal surface :smalltongue: ) he secretly wishes to get a hold of lord Io's library for himself and with it bring himself in charge of the house (and other houses). He may try to recruit the PC's for himself, making them secretly thwart the plans of the great mother or report to him first if they find anything or in some other way make them involved in his secret powerstruggle. If they don't help him and they end up helping the great mother, he may have other contacts / minions / people that will interfere (without leading to him) with the PC's plans.

Viebryn, female lowish-level cleric
An up-and-coming young cleric in the house, she desperately seek to advance herself in the eyes of the great mother. While the draconic blood may be a little weak in her (no special cool feats or anything), it just means she tries even harder to impress and show her worth. Is very loyal to the higher-ups in the house (those aligned with the great mother at least) and quick to report betrayal in others in order to advance herself.

Qualnue, female mid-level bard/assassin?
While appearing to be a charming, nicer-than-normal drow historian and scholar, she is in fact a dangerous assassin that specializes in poison. She has a fairly strong draconic heritage (if there were any fancy feats for this she would have them or does it need some class too?) which also means she enjoys a lot of freedom in her work (as the great mother trusts her). She has some out-of-the-box ideas for where the library might be found and approaches the problem from a different angle than most. Working mostly alone though, she doesn't share her ideas with others and only gets help from the rest of the house for specific tasks when needed. This means she might see the PC's as perfect outside help as she can at least trust them not to be involved with inter-house politics.

Siltharon
2013-02-19, 09:17 AM
Unless they are draconic, as in the lesser form of half dragon, deepwyrm drow have the same level adjustment as normal drow. They are like silver brow humans or glimmerskin halflings. Just a dragon blooded racial variant.

Other than the movement speed on the second character, these builds look fine. For some reason I find it hard to believe that a freedom mantle monk would have a movement of 12 feet.

arg sorry ... I usually use meters so it should be 40 ft .... gonna fix that