PDA

View Full Version : HIgh level Cleric help (3e)

Kinnison
2013-02-15, 06:08 PM
I have not played much D&D and after a recent move I joined a homebrew 3e DnD group, started out with a 15th level Human Cleric (sun domain) of Pelor and it is now 18th level.

The only books/rules we are allowed to use are the 3e core books, or Epic level rulebook. unless i give the GM a copy of the book I want to use the rules for.

My current quest is to destroy the sword of Kas, and stop some Yang-ti from getting the Hand of Vecna

The group has a level 21 Monk, 19th level Sorcerer (mainly Evocation spells), 18th level Rogue, and 19th Level Barbarian. Recently an 18th level wizard also joined us. Usually most combats end in three rounds due to the Barbarian focusing on Critical's. and the Sorcerer doing a time stop and delayed blast fireballs. Rarely do I have time to buff myself or anyone, and most of combats end up me casting heal on the Barbarian or doing Triage on someone else.

Any help on being more effective in combat? Usually most enemies are dead by the Sorcerer before i can cast Firestorm. Flame strike or sunbeam tends to be my go to spells. Also since we tend to go after bigger things I am having trouble getting pass saving throws and spell resistance of monsters

Secondly, we recently decided to build a Castle as our new home. Any suggestions for creating a Sanctum for my Cleric?

As it is, I am not well versed in some of the nuances of the game and would like some help from veterans

Agincourt
2013-02-15, 06:43 PM
In 3e, Harm is an awesome spell. You have to do a touch attack and the subject has to be susceptible to negative energy. If you succeed, they are dropped to 1d4 hit points. No save. You just have to get there before the barbarian, who has a faster move speed than you.

Against undead, use Heal instead.

Kinnison
2013-02-15, 07:05 PM
oh yes, I have quickened CLW and ILW allways prepared now as well as Harm/heal for the classic OotS combo

going to get boots of haste so I can at least get into combat. Winged boots and ring of invisibility isn't cutting it

Galdor Miriel
2013-02-15, 08:20 PM
Holy word is awesome, I have a cleric and I have some prayer beads that can boost my caster level when I cast it, making it even more powerful. Miracle gives you massive versatility. Get quicken spell feat and have a quickened divine power in the bag for getting into combat when you want to swing a mace. Plane shift is a great attack spell.

Remember, if the sorcerer does time stop and a bunch of spells, let him, then a couple of combats later he will be having to boost you as he has no more 9th level spel slots left. That is unless your dm lets you always rest. OUr dm keeps the pressure on and we tend to have to keep going and deal with depleted resources as best we can.

GM