PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mystic Theurge Build Help

Severance28
2013-02-15, 07:06 PM
This is my first time posting, but I was making a new character and thought it was as good a time as any to jump into it!

So, in this campaign my character is a sort of go-getter of knowledge. He grew up in a small town with people who couldn't care less about the passing of the world, much less anything arcane. He spent his childhood reading what he could about arcana secretly, while his parents enrolled him in a church. On his travels, he fell in love with the divine as well as the mysteries of the arcane, and has since then been seeking knowledge in far away places...

Okay, so that is my general idea. In terms of flavor, I want someone who is seeking knowledge in any way he can get it. This character is replacing a rogue that recently passed away, and so I'm starting at about level 10. The place we are in right now is fairly remote, so I needed a reason for him to be traveling all over the place. I really like the idea of someone who is fascinated by learning things, and that drives his adventure. I also wanted him to be sort of precocious, and have him to pretend a lot more than he thinks he does.

Anyways, in terms of builds I wanted some mix of mystic theurge and loremaster. Loremaster fits the build better, but because of story reasons (the dm set this ahead of time for me) I need to have at least some religious background. However, he said he would be okay with letting the Loremaster spell progression's "existing spellcasting class" upgrade to go directly to the mystic theurge, so I could keep my character concept.

I was going to pick mostly support role spells to buff the other party members: an arcane archer, a melee focused favored soul and a straight barbarian.

But I also wanted to try and pick some spells that would buff my own ability in combat, so I could go up close and personal, gandalf style. I know this isn't the best way to play a wizard, but we're a pretty casual group and the challenges aren't too bad usually.

We're rolling out stats and I haven't yet, but I was going to go with a focus on int/wis and then secondary in con.

So, is this a viable option? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Arbane
2013-02-15, 08:42 PM
If you're planning on doing melee, make you first level Cleric, for the added hitpoints.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-15, 08:46 PM
Just don't forget this part. It totally screws wizards and witches when taking PrCs, but there it is:

Does a wizard (or other character that uses a spellbook), receive bonus spells to add to his spellbook when he gains a level in a prestige class that grants an increase to spellcasting?
No. The increase to his spellcasting level does not grant any other benefits, except for spells per day, spells known (for spontaneous casters), and an increase to his overall caster level. He must spend time and gold to add new spells to his spellbook.

So, it increases your caster level, but you don't get those free level-up spells.

Ellrin
2013-02-15, 09:26 PM
However, he said he would be okay with letting the Loremaster spell progression's "existing spellcasting class" upgrade to go directly to the mystic theurge, so I could keep my character concept.

That is a nice frigging DM, considering that loremaster is already one of the better PrCs in PF.

Since your DM is giving you loremaster as a theurge class, you might actually be able to pull off a combat/buffer role pretty well, even without the early entry requirements.

If you go cleric/wizard, druid/wizard, or oracle/wizard, you'll have a ton of spells per day and a lot of buff/debuff options, though you'll be stuck with terrible MAD--then again, between those spell lists, you can buff yourself to high heaven. Cleric/sorcerer or druid/sorcerer can give you SAD, since the PF sorc has an option (empyreal bloodline from... I think it's Ultimate Magic) that gives you Wis-based casting; and Sorc/Oracle gives you SAD (both Cha) and pure spontaneous casting, though slows down your entry into MT by two levels.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-15, 11:40 PM
If you go cleric/wizard, druid/wizard, or oracle/wizard, you'll have a ton of spells per day and a lot of buff/debuff options, though you'll be stuck with terrible MAD--then again, between those spell lists, you can buff yourself to high heaven. Cleric/sorcerer or druid/sorcerer can give you SAD, since the PF sorc has an option (empyreal bloodline from... I think it's Ultimate Magic) that gives you Wis-based casting; and Sorc/Oracle gives you SAD (both Cha) and pure spontaneous casting, though slows down your entry into MT by two levels.
(emphasis mine)

Sorcerer/Oracle is my personal favorite Mystic Theurge build, because spontaneously casting off two spell lists gives you an incredible amount of flexibility from round to round. At 10th level, a Sorcerer 4/ Oracle 4/ MT 2 knows 28 spells, compared to 24 for a Sorcerer 10 or Oracle 10. Five levels later, at Sorcerer 4/ Oracle 4/ MT 7 knows 56 spells (38 of which are not cantrips) compared to a Sorcerer 15 or Oracle 15, who knows 36 spells, or 27 non-cantrips.

If you can get the same dual-casting progression with Loremaster, then at 20th level a Sorcerer 4/ Oracle 4/ MT 10/ Lore 2 (or MT 2/Lore 10, or whatever you do with those 12 levels) knows 56 non-cantrips, far outclassing a single-classed Sorcerer 20 or Oracle 20's 34 non-cantrips.

Severance28
2013-02-16, 05:08 AM
Just don't forget this part. It totally screws wizards and witches when taking PrCs, but there it is:

Does a wizard (or other character that uses a spellbook), receive bonus spells to add to his spellbook when he gains a level in a prestige class that grants an increase to spellcasting?
No. The increase to his spellcasting level does not grant any other benefits, except for spells per day, spells known (for spontaneous casters), and an increase to his overall caster level. He must spend time and gold to add new spells to his spellbook.

So, it increases your caster level, but you don't get those free level-up spells.

This is good to remember. I ideally wanted to go wizard (and not sorcerer or other for arcane side) because of the focus on knowledge. However, since we're in a pretty isolated part of the world it might be hard to get access to new additional spells, which makes a wizard almost useless.

In terms of SAD, is there any way I can make a divine class use INT?