PDA

View Full Version : PF: I've already got a *Hand.*

Metahuman1
2013-02-15, 08:47 PM
So, I know there's a couple of tricks to get Third and Forth arms in Pathfinder.

And I'm one of those saps that likes Melee, and it occurred to me, the image of a multyarmed combatant running around as a terror on the battlefield is awesome.

So, playground, as I have precious little system mastery over Pathfinder, I ask you, how do I go about doing this?

I'm ok with a little bit of casting, but let's try to keep it minimal please. Thanks!

Bubzors
2013-02-15, 09:20 PM
I don't know much about PF but in 3.5 there was a race in the expanded psionics handbook called Thri-Kreen. Seven foot tall four armed insect like monstrous humanoid. Pretty awesome. But again I don't know if PF has them

Screech-*Lime*
2013-02-15, 10:10 PM
All you need to do to get 2 more arms is take 2 levels of Alchemist (or 4 if you don't want to spend a feat on an extra discovery). Actually, if you're a human, you could take one level of Alchemist and spend both your 1st level feat and your human bonus feat on Extra Discovery.

With 2 Alchemist levels you get Brew Potion for free, the ability to use a couple half-decent splash weapons per day, and a handful of useful enough 1st level spells, not to mention the Mutagen which is great for someone not focused on spellcasting. It's a fairly versatile class, with several decent archetypes. If you're planning on some stabby-stabby fun, the Vivisectionist gets sneak attack instead of bombs. If you're planning on a more straightforward warrior, the Ragechemist's Mutagen has some decent Barbarian synergy. Generally, there's a way for an Alchemist to fill any role in a party, so a dip usually won't hurt at all.

Baroncognito
2013-02-15, 10:10 PM
So, I know there's a couple of tricks to get Third and Forth arms in Pathfinder.

And I'm one of those saps that likes Melee, and it occurred to me, the image of a multyarmed combatant running around as a terror on the battlefield is awesome.

So, playground, as I have precious little system mastery over Pathfinder, I ask you, how do I go about doing this?

I'm ok with a little bit of casting, but let's try to keep it minimal please. Thanks!

Well, you could go with an Synthesist Summoner and get a bunch of natural attacks.

Otherwise, get your extra arms and take Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat)

Really though, I think you'd probably be better off just using two two-handed weapons and going the two-weapon fighting route.

Ellrin
2013-02-15, 10:16 PM
I've been playing 3.x for a while now, but I've only just thought of this: if you have four arms, can you use two bows (or other two-handed ranged weapons) for extra attacks per round? And if you can/do, does that use the TWF rules, or...?

Answerer
2013-02-15, 10:18 PM
I've been playing 3.x for a while now, but I've only just thought of this: if you have four arms, can you use two bows (or other two-handed ranged weapons) for extra attacks per round? And if you can/do, does that use the TWF rules, or...?
You can, and it uses the TWF rules, yes.

Metahuman1
2013-02-15, 10:36 PM
Well, you could go with an Synthesist Summoner and get a bunch of natural attacks.

Otherwise, get your extra arms and take Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat)

Really though, I think you'd probably be better off just using two two-handed weapons and going the two-weapon fighting route.

What about using a one handed weapon, a Tower Shield for the miss chance from cover, and a Pole Arm? How viable would that combo be?

Bhaakon
2013-02-15, 11:10 PM
What about using a one handed weapon, a Tower Shield for the miss chance from cover, and a Pole Arm? How viable would that combo be?

It can be done, but you'd be taking a -4 on all attacks (-2 for dual wielding, -2 for using a tower shield) and you couldn't benefit from the cover and attack on the same turn (since using the shield for cover is a standard action).

Metahuman1
2013-02-15, 11:40 PM
Hmmm,

Is there a way in Pathfinder to reduce the action economy required to use the Tower Sheild for Cover? Get it down to a Move, A Swift or maybe even a Free Action?

Bhaakon
2013-02-15, 11:45 PM
Is there a way in Pathfinder to reduce the action economy required to use the Tower Sheild for Cover? Get it down to a Move, A Swift or maybe even a Free Action?

Not that I'm aware of.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-16, 12:27 AM
Just be a Synthesist Summoner. Alchemist can get 2 extra arms and a tentacle, but a Synth can potentially grow many more arms/limbs than that. You have a natural attack cap, but nothing stops you from using a ton of manufactured weapons with all those limbs. The Synthesist also has better support for multi-armed fighting via a much stronger spell list and other evolutions. Alchemist can give you sneak attack, which is nice with lots of attacks, granted.