PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Two-Weapon Warrior

Certified
2013-02-15, 09:52 PM
In our next session I'd like to introduce a friendly NPC that uses the Two-Weapon Warrior archetype. The party is currently 5th Level closing in on 6th and I'd like this character to have a bit of star power, so I'm thinking about going with 9th Level. The Two-Weapon Warrior seems to pick up a nice bump at that level.

So are there any recommended builds, feats, skills, weapons, that sort of thing?

Bhaakon
2013-02-15, 11:42 PM
TWF is sub-optimal, fighters are a weak class, you're better off using a ranger yada, yada, yada.

Now that that's out of the way, the biggest thing in building your character is to not trade away any more strength for dex than you have to. The biggest issue facing TWF builds is damage per hit, so you need as much STR bonus as you can get. The bonus attack from Improved TWF isn't worth it, the attack bonus is just too low. You'll want to go with exactly 15 Dex (the minimum to get the TWF feat) and as high a Str as you can manage without punting Con.

To keep damage up, you'll probably want to go with a crit fisher, which means wielding weapons with the highest critical range possible and either the improved critical feat, weapons with the keen enchantment, or both (if you want different weapons in each hand, as the improved critical feat can only affect one type of weapon [note that the two don't stack, so getting keen on a weapon you have improved critical with is a waste]).

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-15, 11:48 PM
Well, obviously, Two-Weapon fighting and the like. They're basically required :smalltongue:

I like Weapon Focus, because TWFers need all the to-hit they can get. (Note: Power Weapon is still good). If you're pumping STR into the stratosphere, then Double Slice can add a fair bit of damage, but if you're focusing on CON and going for more of a tanky build then Two-Weapon Defense can help out there.

If you want, you can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword to get the hardest-hitting 1H weapon (1d10, 19-20/x2). In fact, a Bastard Sword is so big that you can have him say "A lesser fighter would need both hands for this weapon! But I, Alex Louis Armstrong, can wield two with the techniques passed down in the Armstrong line for generations! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BdQunJnrEw)"

Ravens_cry
2013-02-15, 11:59 PM
Eh, strength is not as big an issue as you might think. For one, Agile is a fairly cheap way to add dexterity to damage, being a +1 property. There is a Power Attack for light weapons by the way called Piranha Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat), though it's a bit different. Ninja, Rogue or Vivisectionist Alchemist make better Two Weapon Fighters in my opinion as much less is immune to sneak attack. Fighting with two bastard swords gives some hefty penalties, even with two weapon fighting. Combined with the generally feat intensive nature of TWF, and I'd avoid it.

Certified
2013-02-16, 01:16 AM
Eh, strength is not as big an issue as you might think. For one, Agile is a fairly cheap way to add dexterity to damage, being a +1 property. There is a Power Attack for light weapons by the way called Piranha Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat), though it's a bit different. Ninja, Rogue or Vivisectionist Alchemist make better Two Weapon Fighters in my opinion as much less is immune to sneak attack. Fighting with two bastard swords gives some hefty penalties, even with two weapon fighting. Combined with the generally feat intensive nature of TWF, and I'd avoid it.

Is there a Feat that works as the Agile Property, and where is this property located?

Bhaakon
2013-02-16, 01:26 AM
Agile is from the Pathfinder Society Field Guide, and there's no feat to replace it.

Ellrin
2013-02-16, 01:56 AM
Well, obviously, Two-Weapon fighting and the like. They're basically required :smalltongue:

I like Weapon Focus, because TWFers need all the to-hit they can get. (Note: Power Weapon is still good). If you're pumping STR into the stratosphere, then Double Slice can add a fair bit of damage, but if you're focusing on CON and going for more of a tanky build then Two-Weapon Defense can help out there.

If you want, you can take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword to get the hardest-hitting 1H weapon (1d10, 19-20/x2). In fact, a Bastard Sword is so big that you can have him say "A lesser fighter would need both hands for this weapon! But I, Alex Louis Armstrong, can wield two with the techniques passed down in the Armstrong line for generations! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BdQunJnrEw)"

I appreciate the reference, but wielding two bastard swords is just silly mechanically. Be a tengu (gain proficiency with all swords and sword-like weapons), and TWF with a bastard sword in one hand and a sawtooth sabre (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/sabre-sawtooth) in the other for as close to the same effect as possible while still remaining moderately useful.

For full effect, homebrew something that makes you so muscular that it gives you the 3.5 Goliath's Powerful Build trait and use a large bastard sword and sawtooth sabre.

Certified
2013-02-16, 02:08 AM
So looking at Piranha Strike and Agile I put the following together. Looking a CR 9 creatures the character should hit with the first attacks from their primary and secondary weapons most of the time, with the exception of high AC foes. With the addition of a flanker the odds shift back into the character's favor. For a weapon of choice I went with the Kukri, just because if you're going to be attacking with smaller damage dice I wanted to maximize the number of possible critical hits.

Ballas Tyrim

NG Human Two-Weapon Warrior (Fighter) 9

Str 12
Dex 20
Con 14
Int 13
Wis 9
Cha 10

HP 85 (9d10+18 +9)
AC 21/15/16 10 + 6 + 5 (+2 dodge bonus to AC against melee attacks when making a Full Attack.)
Ini 5

Fort 8 6 2
Ref 8 3 5
Will 2 3 -1 (+4 against fear)

BAB +9/+4
Melee +10/+5
Ranged +14/+9

Favored Attack:Piranha Strike (Full Attack)
- Primary Hand Kukri +14/+9 (1d4+15/15-20/x2)
- Off Hand +14/+9 (1d4+12/15-20/x2)

Secondary Attack: Piranha Strike (Standard Action)
- Primary Hand Kukri +12 (1d4+13/15-20/x2)
- Off Hand +12 (1d4+9/15-20/x2)

Traits
Fast Talker (+1 trait bonus on Bluff checks, and Bluff is always a class skill for you.)
Jaded (You gain a +2 trait bonus on saving throws against Fear.)

Defensive Flurry (Ex): +2 dodge bonus to AC against melee attacks when making a Full Attack.

Twin Blades (Ex): +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls when making a full attack with two weapons.

Doublestrike (Ex): At 9th level, a two-weapon warrior may, as a standard action, make one attack with both his primary and secondary weapons. The penalties for attacking with two weapons apply normally.

Feats
1, 1 (Human), 1 (Fighter), 2 (Fighter), 3, 4 (Fighter), 5, 6 (Fighter), 7, 8 (Fighter), 9

1 Weapon Focus (Kukri)
2 Two-Weapon Fighting
3 Weapon Finess
4 Double Slice
5 Piranha Strike
6 Weapon Specialization (Kukri)
7 Combat Expertise
8 Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
9 Greater Weapon Focus (Kukri)
10 Skill Focus (Bluff)
11 Improved Two-Weapon Feint

Skills 36