PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Eldritch Knight: Looking for advice/tricks to look out for.

Beowulf DW
2013-02-16, 12:34 AM
Well, the RL gaming group I've been hanging with for years has just gotten around to trying out Rise of the Rune Lords. Initially, I was going to try out an anti-magic/anti-everything Barbarian. However, due to the fact that we have four players (including myself), and that two decided to use mundane classes while the other is using a Cleric, I heeded the concerns of our GM and decided to take up the mantle of primary arcane caster for the very first time in my d20 career. However, I'm unwilling to reach straight for the undiluted wizard, at the moment. It's simply too strong, and I happen to prefer mixed drinks, anyway. Hence my decision to aim for Eldritch Knight. My intended build is Lore Warden Fighter 1/Wizard 5/E.K. 10/?. For a weapon, I was thinking an Elven Curved Blade, and on the magic end I was going to specialize in the Transmutation school.

I feel that I ought to explain a few house rules while I'm at it. Any weapon that has the Finesse quality automatically get's Dex to attack rolls. Weapon Finesse now allows one to add Dex to damage when using finesse weapons. Additionally, our DM has ruled that an Eldritch Knight will gain additional spells known like a wizard each time said E.K. "gains a level of existing spellcasting class."

So, opinions? Advice? Anything I should be prepared for, or that I ought to keep in mind?

El Dorado
2013-02-16, 12:47 AM
If your group uses traits, magical knack will shore up your two lost caster levels. Reactionary is also nice. Arcane strike is a good damage boost if you've got nothing better to do with your swift action. Otherwise, just the standard advice: improved initiative, combat casting, etc.

Xerxus
2013-02-16, 07:45 AM
Your action-economy is going to be royally screwed.

Beowulf DW
2013-02-16, 08:59 AM
Your action-economy is going to be royally screwed.

So I've heard. Is there anyway to unscrew it?

Xerxus
2013-02-16, 09:03 AM
So I've heard. Is there anyway to unscrew it?

I would focus on fun buffs, but that looks like your plan. Other than that swift and immediate spells are nice, but can't think of too many. There's one called cold ice strike, might be useful. But it's level 6.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-16, 09:39 AM
Alternatively, if you're going the gish route, you could just go straight Magus 20. It's an extremely well-put together class, and fixes some of the "screwy action economy" with its Spell Combat and Spellstrike. I'd suggest this:

Bladebound (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/bladebound) Magus. It gives you an intelligent weapon that gains a scaling enhancement bonus as a class feature, and it stacks with any other Magus archetype you might want to try out.

Ordinarily I'd suggest making your Black Blade a scimitar and then going Weapon Finesse/Dervish Dance, but that houserule makes Dervish Dance unnecessary. Take the "Magical Lineage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage)" trait and apply it to Shocking Grasp. Then pick up Intensified Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic) at level 7. Congrats, you can now channel a 10d6 (at level 10+, obviously) 1st level spell into your sword loads of times per day. Get a decent INT and/or pick up Extra Arcane Pool and then use Spell Recall to keep getting your already cast Shocking Grasps back, maybe pick up a Ring of Wizardry I, and you can generally channel one every single round of combat.

Tieflings (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-tiefling) are easily the best race, with +Dex +Int, and -Cha (dump stat). If you do go Tiefling, pick up Armor of the Pit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/armor-of-the-pit-tiefling) for +2 Natural Armor

Wagadodo
2013-02-16, 09:47 AM
I agree with Daftendirekt. I would also suggest the Magus Bladebound, but I might take it a step further and go with Kensi archtype. Yes it does take away one spell per level, but it gives you some other abilities to make up for it, like intelligence to Armor class, and later in the game intelligence to your initative. Qualifing for Fighter feats quicker, decent things for a Gish in can.

I also would suggest the Tiefling, but I would go for Prehensile tail so that you can hold those meta rods. Or heck getting out those most needed wands as a swift action.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-16, 09:52 AM
I agree with Daftendirekt. I would also suggest the Magus Bladebound, but I might take it a step further and go with Kensi archtype. Yes it does take away one spell per level, but it gives you some other abilities to make up for it, like intelligence to Armor class, and later in the game intelligence to your initative. Qualifing for Fighter feats quicker, decent things for a Gish in can.

I also would suggest the Tiefling, but I would go for Prehensile tail so that you can hold those meta rods. Or heck getting out those most needed wands as a swift action.

Kensai takes away Spell Recall though, which is an amazing ability. Also, yes, you get INT to AC... but you can't wear armor anymore. And IMO, an optimal Magus doesn't need amazing INT; 16 to cast spells should be enough. Most of what a Magus casts should be buffs or touch attacks like Shocking Grasp and Vampiric Touch (which don't have saves, and thus don't need high DCs). I think you're better off wearing armor than having INT to AC.

Beowulf DW
2013-02-16, 10:34 AM
Well, I've already tried Bladebound-Kensai-scimitar-dervish dance. It was fun, but this time, what I'm going for is closer toward the spell casting end of the spectrum. We just had our first session, too, so character building is done.

Dissonance
2013-02-16, 02:56 PM
In my experience, the whole "magus vs EK" debate is rather redundant, as they offer only the same concept. Not the same package.

If you want a classic arcane fighter then play magus. Because it is simple, effective, and fun.

If you want to have fun with customizing your class and make it memorable, go EK. there is soo much you can throw together to get you into the class that the mountain of choices is probably the reason a lot of people have a problem with it. You can get spontaneous casting, Wis or Cha casting, Cha to saves, and plenty of other shenanigans that the magus doesn't get. If you know the rules and have fun customizing, there is absolutely no reason to take EK over Magus.

My two cents on it anyway.

Daftendirekt
2013-02-16, 03:22 PM
If you know the rules and have fun customizing, there is absolutely no reason not to take EK over Magus.

My two cents on it anyway.

Going to assume you meant that instead.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-16, 03:31 PM
So, opinions? Advice? Anything I should be prepared for, or that I ought to keep in mind?

Actually, I'm also playing an Eldritch Knight Wizard/Fighter in a RotRL campaign. And yes, I also have an Elven Curveblade :smallbiggrin:

I'd try to get your GM to make Arcane Armor Training, and its follow-up. Arcane Armor Mastery, to be free instead of swift actions. There's really no reason for those to take an action. I wear a Mithral Shirt with AAT for no Arcane Spell Failure chance, and at higher levels Mithral Full Plate (of speed, if you're lucky) with Arcane Armor Mastery gives only 5% ASF chance.

Spell Storing is my personal favorite weapon ability, but if you're nearing the capstone Keen is obviously great too.

As for spells, be sure to prepare some you can use from far away as well as ones you can use in melee. The strength of an Eldritch Knight versus a Magus is that an EK is better in an anti-magic field, and an EK is better with only spells, but a Magus can do both at the same time. Be sure to prepare so that you can fight with just spells or just weapon attacks if you need to.

Beowulf DW
2013-02-16, 05:21 PM
Actually, I'm also playing an Eldritch Knight Wizard/Fighter in a RotRL campaign. And yes, I also have an Elven Curveblade :smallbiggrin:

I'd try to get your GM to make Arcane Armor Training, and its follow-up. Arcane Armor Mastery, to be free instead of swift actions. There's really no reason for those to take an action. I wear a Mithral Shirt with AAT for no Arcane Spell Failure chance, and at higher levels Mithral Full Plate (of speed, if you're lucky) with Arcane Armor Mastery gives only 5% ASF chance.

Spell Storing is my personal favorite weapon ability, but if you're nearing the capstone Keen is obviously great too.

As for spells, be sure to prepare some you can use from far away as well as ones you can use in melee. The strength of an Eldritch Knight versus a Magus is that an EK is better in an anti-magic field, and an EK is better with only spells, but a Magus can do both at the same time. Be sure to prepare so that you can fight with just spells or just weapon attacks if you need to.

Thanks, though considering the other considerations he's made with the house rules, I'd rather not push it by asking for Arcane armor training to count as a free action. Maybe I can convince him to change Arcane Armor Mastery to make the swift action into a free action, rather than reducing the spell failure chance. Does that sound reasonable?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-16, 07:02 PM
Maybe I can convince him to change Arcane Armor Mastery to make the swift action into a free action, rather than reducing the spell failure chance. Does that sound reasonable?

Well, then it's a free action that doesn't do anything :smalltongue:

Beowulf DW
2013-02-16, 07:14 PM
Well, then it's a free action that doesn't do anything :smalltongue:

What I meant was that maybe we could keep the reduction in spell failure chance of Arcane Armor Training, but make it a free action, rather than simply further reducing the failure chance.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-16, 07:26 PM
What I meant was that maybe we could keep the reduction in spell failure chance of Arcane Armor Training, but make it a free action, rather than simply further reducing the failure chance.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. I would definitely still take that feat, which is a good sign.