PDA

View Full Version : Magic Missile Spells

Techwarrior
2013-02-16, 01:21 AM
So, I recently was going through my old characters, and found one of my old favorites: a Diviner Wizard named Mikael Valik. He had a severe fondness for the Magic Missile spell, and researched some custom versions of his own. I figured I'd toss em out here, and you guys could take a look at them. Now, I know neither of the 'Long Nines,' as we called them, rival such things as Gate abused with things like Solars in a vacuum, but in a non-abusive manner, I'm wondering how they stack up. I remember them being useful.

Mikael's Meteoric Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 9
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium (100+ 10 ft./level)
Target: 1 creature
Area: 30 ft radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None; Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell creates a barrage of missiles similar to those created by Magic Missile. These missiles unerringly strike a single target, unless the target has total cover or concealment. You create 1 missile per caster level, and each missile deals 1d6+2 points of damage to the target.

After impact, the missiles explode in a dazzling blast of arcane energies. All creatures in the blast (including the original) take damage equal to that dealt by the original missiles and is Dazed for 1 round/10 missiles created. A successful Reflex save reduces this damage by half and negates the Dazed condition.

Unlike other spells similar to Magic Missile, Mikael's Meteoric Missiles batters through Shield, and other spells and effects that block Magic Missiles. Any such spell in the area not only fails to negate the effects of this spell, but is immediately dispelled. A magic item (such as a Brooch of Shielding) ceases to function for 1 minute, but is not disjoined permanently.

Mikael's Momentous Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 9
Target: 1 creature/caster level, no two of which may be more than 5 ft/caster level apart
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a barrage of missiles similar to those created by Magic Missile. Each missile unerringly strike a single target, unless the target has total cover or concealment. You create 1 missile per caster level, and each missile deals 1d8+4 points of damage to the target. You may target a single creature with as many of these missiles as you would like.

Unlike other spells similar to Magic Missile, Mikael's Momentous Missiles batters through Shield, and other spells and effects that block Magic Missiles. Any such spell in the area not only fails to negate the effects of this spell, but is immediately dispelled. A magic item (such as a Brooch of Shielding) ceases to function for 1 minute, but is not disjoined permanently.

Mikael's Matured Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 6
Target: up to 1 creature/caster level, no two of which may be more than 50 ft apart.

This spell functions as Magic Missile, except that you create 1 missile per caster level, dealing 1d6+1 per missile.

Mikael's Misguided Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 3
Components: Verbal
Target: up to 1 creature/2 levels
Area: 5 ft./level burst centered on you.

When cast, Mikael's Misguided Missiles sends forth missiles of arcane energy, similar to those created by Magic Missile (including being stopped by a Shield spell and similar). These missiles target creatures in the area that you cannot detect in any fashion. You create 1 missile per two caster levels (max 10), and each deals 1d6+1 points of damage. The closest creatures to you are affected first getting hit by 1 missile, until there are either no more creatures that you cannot detect or you run out of missiles. If you still have missiles left, and have hit every creature you cannot detect with a missile, the process repeats until you run out of missiles.

You detect each creature you hit with this spell for the rest of your action, and are considered to have Line of Sight, but not Line of Effect with these creatures until the end of your action.

Note: If you close your eyes, any creatures that you cannot detect by other means (such as Rary's Telepathic Bond) are eligible targets for this spell. However, you are considered Blind against any Attacks of Opportunity made against you while casting this spell.

Mikael's Masochistic Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorceror/Wizard 3
Casting Time: 1 Immediate Action
Range: Long (400 + 40 ft/level)
Target: 1 creature

This spell creates a barrage of missiles similar to those created by Magic Missile, including being stopped by Shield and similar. These missiles unerringly strike a single target that just made a successful melee or ranged attack against you, unless the target has total cover or concealment relative to you. You create 1 missile per caster level (maximum 10), and each missile deals 1d4+1 points of damage to the target.

I get the feeling there were at least two others, but I'd have to look for his actual spellbook as opposed to just the spells he had prepared on the day we went after the BBEG. I think Mikael's Matured Missiles might actually be worth only a 5th level spell, but I might be wrong.

super dark33
2013-02-16, 06:17 AM
Cool spells, but aren't they a bit too powerful?

I thought of a spell called Arcane avenger (like the auto-cannon) which fires many normal magic missles.
I have trouble deciding on the amount of bullets shot or if it should continue for some rounds.

What I know is that I want it to be able to reduce large groups to piles of corpses. You may make them better then I will.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-17, 10:55 AM
I actually love the magic missile spell myself. It's reliable until the enemy starts casting that dreaded first level spell. Which is why I couldn't use these or even chain missile from spell compendium unless I was using that magic missile mage PrC which is in dragon compendium I think.

It's really frustrating when your favorite spell is thwarted by a spell most spellcasters are going to be casting anyway. :smallannoyed:

On another note, the power level looks okay to me. I actually like the ninth level spells even though they seem a little underwhelming compared to say.... meteor swarm.

bobthe6th
2013-02-17, 11:13 AM
See, I still remember my NWN wizards maximized Issaic's greater missile swarm... CL*12 damage? yes please!

These seem powerful, and a bit fiddly. Still look fun.

Techwarrior
2013-02-20, 02:19 AM
I actually love the magic missile spell myself. It's reliable until the enemy starts casting that dreaded first level spell. Which is why I couldn't use these or even chain missile from spell compendium unless I was using that magic missile mage PrC which is in dragon compendium I think.

It's really frustrating when your favorite spell is thwarted by a spell most spellcasters are going to be casting anyway. :smallannoyed:

On another note, the power level looks okay to me. I actually like the ninth level spells even though they seem a little underwhelming compared to say.... meteor swarm.

I agree with you on the Shield being aggravating. The thing about the ninth level area spell (the one you can compare Meteor Swarm with) is that it A) does untyped, irresistible damage and B) offers a Reflex Save or Suck, which is almost unheard of. Mikael, the guy who researched these, never prepared Meteor Swarm over this spell. Meteor Swarm is better for taking out mooks, and has a wider spread, but at 17th level you've got better options than a 9th level spell for taking out mooks.

The other 9th compares to Disintigrate, is three levels higher, deals similar damage, but offers no save or SR at all. This is actually the one I'm most worried about.

Cool spells, but aren't they a bit too powerful?

I thought of a spell called Arcane avenger (like the auto-cannon) which fires many normal magic missles.
I have trouble deciding on the amount of bullets shot or if it should continue for some rounds.

What I know is that I want it to be able to reduce large groups to piles of corpses. You may make them better then I will.

Only one I think might be too powerful is Momentous Missiles. Mikael used Matured Missiles for the situations you're describing. I could see myself writing a Call Lightning version of the Magic Missile spell if that's what you're into.

I believe there's an AoE Magic Missile in Spell Compendium, but I recall it slightly sucking. I'll have to look into it.

See, I still remember my NWN wizards maximized Issaic's greater missile swarm... CL*12 damage? yes please!

These seem powerful, and a bit fiddly. Still look fun.

Thank you. What do you mean by fiddly? The 3rd level spells are very niche spells, if that's what you mean.

bobthe6th
2013-02-20, 11:21 AM
Thank you. What do you mean by fiddly? The 3rd level spells are very niche spells, if that's what you mean.

I mean that the damage is in d4s, which I can say from expirience(I played a master thrower who only used daggers) there tend to be 4 at most at the table. That and each missile has to be individually targeted.

Batpope Scott
2013-02-20, 07:13 PM
I think momentous missiles might do a bit more damage than should be done with a no SR spell. That's essentially a giant middle finger to anyone trying to counter your magic, and it does enough untyped damage that it's liable to put decently sized monsters six feet under in at most three castings. This is a ninth level spell however, though that may not excuse it entirely.

Techwarrior
2013-02-21, 09:44 PM
Hmm... Good point. Would 1d6+2 be acceptable?

Xuldarinar
2013-02-21, 09:51 PM
An interesting question, how would these spells interact with Force Missile Mage (DMC). Its a PrC that adds effects to the spell Magic Missile. Would these spells be counted as magic missile for the purpose of effects, or as different spells.

Keeper of Starlight
2013-02-21, 10:02 PM
If you were to bring Momentous Missiles down to 1d6+2, then the only advantage they would have over your other 9th level spell would be that they could hit multiple targets, while the other spell would deal twice the damage and have a 30-ft burst. I think it's a lot of damage, but it's too far of a drop if the other spell is a valid option. Maybe 1d8+2?

Techwarrior
2013-02-21, 10:23 PM
Hm, 1d8+2 for Momentous, and Meteoric dealing 1d6+1?

Force Missile Mage probably would affect them, due to them saying 'as Magic Missile but I don't know for sure. Let me find it and I'll see if I think it should.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-23, 07:05 PM
I was working on some spell rewrites (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14764154) for Gaols and Giants (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268022) when I came to the realization that the standard Magic Missile spell is actually awful. I brought it back into line (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14764154&postcount=15) (though I may have overdone it a bit) by letting it deal 2d6+INT/CHA damage and firing only a single missile.

Hanuman
2013-02-23, 07:29 PM
In terms of power, magic missile is still more powerful due to it's application on having the fell meta-magic.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-02-23, 09:40 PM
In terms of power, magic missile is still more powerful due to it's application on having the fell meta-magic.

Huh? More powerful than my version, you mean? And what fell metamagic? (As opposed to regular metamagic, or is there a Fell Spell metamagic feat that I can't find with my google-fu that makes Magic Missile awesome?

Hanuman
2013-02-23, 10:07 PM
http://dndtools.eu/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-the-dead--71/fell-drain--1103/

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/twin-spell--2991/

http://dndtools.eu/feats/cityscape--53/invisible-spell--1684/

Invisible Fell Twin Magic Missiles
(Meta-Magic 7)
Deal 10d4+10 force damage to a target (blocked by shield spell), target gains 2 negative levels, no save no sr.

This spell womps hard, every time. It may not deal the most damage in DnD but a no-save double negative level spell will chunk most BBEGs

Just to Browse
2013-02-24, 03:30 AM
http://dndtools.eu/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-the-dead--71/fell-drain--1103/

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/twin-spell--2991/

http://dndtools.eu/feats/cityscape--53/invisible-spell--1684/

Invisible Fell Twin Magic Missiles
(Meta-Magic 7)
Deal 10d4+10 force damage to a target (blocked by shield spell), target gains 2 negative levels, no save no sr.

This spell womps hard, every time. It may not deal the most damage in DnD but a no-save double negative level spell will chunk most BBEGs

That requires at minimum 2 feats to burn. While I agree that these spells aren't as strong as they should be (a 6th level spell needs to be competitive with acid fog, circle of death, and wall of iron for example.), any magic missile spell made here should be weaker than what you have proposed because it's just a spell and not an optimized attack.