PDA

View Full Version : [PF] What does Adjuring Step do?

Ellrin
2013-02-16, 01:41 AM
Going through some PF spells, I stumbled on adjuring step. Text below:

This spell creates a subtle and complicated force effect that is most effective when used by a still or slow-moving spellcaster or formula user. While you are subject to this spell, you can take two 5-foot steps each round and still cast spells and use spell-like abilities without provoke attacks of opportunity. This spell automatically discharges as soon as you make an attack, cast a harmful spell against another creature, or move more than 5 feet with a single move action. If the action that discharges the spell also provokes attacks of opportunity, that action still provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.

PF's section about AOOs is a little vague about what provokes them (I'm sure it's elaborated more in each specific action's section), but I'm assuming spellcasting and AOOs works more or less the same way it does in 3.5--you have to cast defensively to avoid provoking AOOs, making a concentration check (I'm aware of the changes to that) to do so.

Clearly this spell lets you take two five-foot steps per round, but I'm not too sure what exactly its effects are beyond that. Do you have to cast a spell in the same round in order to make your second 5-foot step? Can you cast spells that require full-round actions and take both 5-foot steps, or does the second one count as your otherwise move-equivalent action for the round? (I realize it probably doesn't, but) does it let you cast those spells without provoking AOOs?

And while we're on the topic of this spell, what's meant by "harmful spell"? Obviously a spell that causes direct damage would be harmful, but how far does "harm" extend? Poison? Bestow curse? Daze? Entangle?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-16, 04:33 AM
Going through some PF spells, I stumbled on adjuring step. Text below:

PF's section about AOOs is a little vague about what provokes them (I'm sure it's elaborated more in each specific action's section), but I'm assuming spellcasting and AOOs works more or less the same way it does in 3.5--you have to cast defensively to avoid provoking AOOs, making a concentration check (I'm aware of the changes to that) to do so.

Clearly this spell lets you take two five-foot steps per round, but I'm not too sure what exactly its effects are beyond that. Do you have to cast a spell in the same round in order to make your second 5-foot step?No, you do not have to take both 5 foot steps.

Can you cast spells that require full-round actions and take both 5-foot steps, or does the second one count as your otherwise move-equivalent action for the round?Yes. 5 foot steps are a free action. However, if you cast a harmful spell before taking the 5 foot steps, you would not be entitled to the second step.

I realize it probably doesn't, but does it let you cast those spells without provoking AOOs?I am not sure. It's terribly worded, and not even grammatically correct (that's not a copying error on ellrin's part, folks) on that issue. I can't find any errata on it. Ask your DM.

And while we're on the topic of this spell, what's meant by "harmful spell"? Obviously a spell that causes direct damage would be harmful, but how far does "harm" extend? Poison? Bestow curse? Daze? Entangle?To the given examples: Yes. God Yes. Yep. I would say yes if I was a DM.

TuggyNE
2013-02-16, 07:35 AM
And while we're on the topic of this spell, what's meant by "harmful spell"? Obviously a spell that causes direct damage would be harmful, but how far does "harm" extend? Poison? Bestow curse? Daze? Entangle?

I'd assume anything that would break invisibility, which all of those would do.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-16, 10:37 AM
I think what that horribly garbled text is trying to say is that casting itself would not provoke. But if the spell involved doing other things that provoke - shooting a ray (ie, making a ranged attack) while threatened is the only example I can think of, though that would break the spell itself anyway, right? - those still do.