PDA

View Full Version : Dread Commando/Blackguard combo?

Sir_Chivalry
2013-02-16, 01:52 AM
I was wondering if they'd work. The pairing of classes brings to mind a dangerous, pitiless and honourless scoundrel, but could it work?

Also potentially on the plate would be Dread Commando/Avenging Executioner, anyone got ideas for that?

In short, does it work mechanically, or if not, what's the closest thing that does?

Rethmar
2013-02-16, 08:24 AM
I imagine the class features work well enough together. Two types of precision damage, stealthy/agile movement even in the typical heavy armor.

Need 5 feats to qualify for both though, that's pretty steep.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-16, 01:49 PM
It'd work, but it's fairly weak. Dread Comm only gets sudden strike, which really hurts - no flanking to get your bonus. Armored movement is decent, but your better off being a dwarf and/or using the plethora of armor-lightening options, like mithril.

Blackgaurd is just not a very good class, and generally not worth taking more than a small dip. The paladin variants (almost) completely negate the existence of the blackgaurd as well.

Then we get to the reqs. Both classes have rather unfortunate feat requirements, which really hurts cause melee needs all the feats they can get.

Short answer? Yeah it can be done, but don't expect to be very good. You're much better off doing something like sneak attack thug fighter/warblade. Menacing Brute is pretty cool and of similar fluff if you like orcs.

Alternatively, talk to your DM about making a few small changes to make those classes more attractive. Changing sudden strike to sneak attack, dropping the ghastly dodge, mobility, and improved sunder reqs, and giving the blackgaurd a boost in skills would help a lot, and certainly wouldn't break anything.

Snowbluff
2013-02-16, 02:31 PM
You'd be better off as a Scarlet Corsair from Stormwrack. They are what you want to be if you are going to Sneak Attack as a frontliner. Imperious Command Blends well.

Sir_Chivalry
2013-02-17, 08:52 PM
You'd be better off as a Scarlet Corsair from Stormwrack. They are what you want to be if you are going to Sneak Attack as a frontliner. Imperious Command Blends well.

A good class indeed, but what if I don't want the ship related stuff, any alternatives on that?

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 08:56 PM
Avenging Executioner/Dread Commando is probably the better choice, since you've got a way to trigger your Sudden Strike.

Sir_Chivalry
2013-02-17, 08:59 PM
Avenging Executioner/Dread Commando is probably the better choice, since you've got a way to trigger your Sudden Strike.

Alright, both classes I like. So what sort of things to use to make a good character?

Imperious Command I know, Dreadful Wrath if allowed. What else?

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 09:03 PM
Alright, both classes I like. So what sort of things to use to make a good character?

Imperious Command I know, Dreadful Wrath if allowed. What else?

Well, Dread Commando needs Dodge and Mobility...probably Dodge should be Expeditious Dodge, and Mobility you can hopefully get from the armor, but if not there's two of your feats. (Incidentially, I'm starting to see that Dread Commando might not be the most amazing choice...it's mostly just sudden strike on a full BAB chassis, with a few minor boosts...not terrible, but there may be better choices. In particular, consider Ghost-Faced Killer for slower Sudden Strike progression but better abilities.)

Some of the Ambush feats might be nice if you've got room.

Sir_Chivalry
2013-02-17, 10:52 PM
Well, Dread Commando needs Dodge and Mobility...probably Dodge should be Expeditious Dodge, and Mobility you can hopefully get from the armor, but if not there's two of your feats. (Incidentially, I'm starting to see that Dread Commando might not be the most amazing choice...it's mostly just sudden strike on a full BAB chassis, with a few minor boosts...not terrible, but there may be better choices. In particular, consider Ghost-Faced Killer for slower Sudden Strike progression but better abilities.)

Some of the Ambush feats might be nice if you've got room.

Well, that would just remove every part of the original proposition then :P

Part of the attraction of Dread Commando is the stealth and armored ease abilities. Coupled with a level of Shadowdancer for Su Hide in Plain Sight, it would make a very stealthy guy.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-02-18, 12:28 AM
Passive way invisible fist monk is a superv entry for Dread Commando giving you both the feat pre-requisites, skill pre-requisites and a sure way to trigger Sudden Strike every 3 rounds, remember it gives you the Invisibility condition, not the spell and as an Ex ability to booth.

Also getting Elusive target is a pretty decent option if you can spare the feat and you already have the pre-requisites.

Shadow dancer has a huge amout of requisite if you only want HiPS, so I would suggest getting it via the Dark Creature template (preferably the Cormyr; Tearing of the Weave version, which has the Su version of HiPS) otherwise you would need a readilly available source of concealment (warlock dip+ instinctive darkness feat could work I guess).