PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Weave and Shadowcasters

Newoblivion
2013-02-16, 03:28 AM
Here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070725 it says that Shadowcasters can qualify for the three Shadow Weave feats. What happens though, if I also have levels in an arcane caster class? My arcane spells are now count as shadow weave? it's important because once you go shadow weave you can't go back. Lorewise you can't cast shadow magic from the shadow weave and arcane spells from the weave.

As a DM I would rule that if a Shadowcaster took one of the three Shadow Weave feats he become a Shadow Weave user and it will affect every other spellcasting he might have.

What do you guys think? Because according to the link a level in Shadowcaster allow you to ignore a feat that requires wis 15 (Shadow Weave Magic).

Alleran
2013-02-16, 08:33 AM
The Shadow Weave is simply an alternate way of accessing magic. It can be arcane or divine, just like the regular Weave. Yes, once you become a Shadow Weave user, you can't use regular Weave spells, but your spells are still arcane or divine, you're just accessing them from a different source.

Newoblivion
2013-02-16, 09:37 AM
The Shadow Weave is simply an alternate way of accessing magic. It can be arcane or divine, just like the regular Weave. Yes, once you become a Shadow Weave user, you can't use regular Weave spells, but your spells are still arcane or divine, you're just accessing them from a different source.

I know. But in order for one to use the shadow weave he need to take the feat. This feat require ether wis 15 or for you to worship Shar. A shadowcaster is qualified for the three shadow weave feats (tenacious, pernicious, and insidious magic) without the need for the shadow weave magic feat.

My question is if I am a shadowcaster and I take ether tenacious, pernicious, or insidious magic does it makes my other spellcasting sources (If I also have levels in wizard for example) shadow weave? If it is so, then you get the benefits of the shadow weave magic feat without taking it.

Piggy Knowles
2013-02-16, 01:11 PM
Sorry, but I don't see where the Class Chronicles article allows you to ignore the pre-requisite Shadow Weave Magic feat. All it says is that shadowcasters CAN qualify for taking the shadow weave feats - it doesn't say it can take them without taking Shadow Weave Magic first.

Newoblivion
2013-02-16, 04:57 PM
Sorry, but I don't see where the Class Chronicles article allows you to ignore the pre-requisite Shadow Weave Magic feat. All it says is that shadowcasters CAN qualify for taking the shadow weave feats - it doesn't say it can take them without taking Shadow Weave Magic first.

Show me a class that can't qualify. All you need is wis 15 or patron deity Shar, you don't even have to be able to cast spells. So why bother saying that Shadowcasters can qualify when everyone else can also qualify? It's like saying that Shadowcasters can qualify for the Improved Initiative feat.

"Shadow magic users can qualify for the three Shadow Weave feats described in the Player's Guide to Faerun" they mean tenacious, pernicious, or insidious magic. From this I understand that if I am a Shadowcaster then I can take those feats without the Shadow Weave Magic feat.

Piggy Knowles
2013-02-16, 05:08 PM
The text isn't saying that shadowcasters can specially qualify, it's saying that they normally draw their power from the Weave but, like arcane casters, can take the Shadow Weave Magic feat to draw from the Shadow Weave instead. The whole quote is:

There is a fundamental difference between shadow magic and Shadow Weave magic. Shadow Weave magic users derive their power from a source of magic created by the goddess Shar that occupies the negative space between the Weave. Shadowcasters typically use the Weave to channel their magic directly from the plane of shadows. In this way, shadow magic has more in common with conjuration spells of the Weave than it does with spells cast via the Shadow Weave. Despite the differences in methodology and philosophy, many shadowcasters are naturally drawn to the Shadow Weave.

Shadow magic users can qualify for the three Shadow Weave feats described in the Player's Guide to Faerun. Those who take the Insidious Magic feat also gain an additional benefit. When they are capable of using their mysteries as supernatural abilities (rendering the benefit of the feat obsolete), they instead receive a +1 on the DCs of their mysteries used against Weave users. This bonus stacks with the Spell Focus feat and any other feat or special ability that increases the DCs of mysteries. This does not apply to mysteries from the transmutation or evocation schools.

In other words, this quote is saying...

1. Despite using "shadow" magic, shadowcasters actually draw from the Weave, rather than the Shadow Weave.

2. Some shadowcasters, however, are drawn to the Shadow Weave, and can take the Shadow Weave Magic line of feats.

3. If you take Insidious Magic, because you would otherwise lose some of the benefits of the feat when your mysteries went Supernatural, you get extra bonuses.

WotC is usually pretty good about being specific when you're allowed to ignore pre-requisites, and there's nothing in the above quote that lets you do so.