PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Divine Disciple, how to stay good?

Krazzman
2013-02-16, 07:25 AM
Hello again fellow Playgrounders,

Please check the Edit first:

this time directly to the topic: I need help to decide wether how to built a Cleric in an upcoming "campaign". This campaign will probably have a moer RP focus than battling stuff as such I am torn between a Kelemvor or Lathander worshipping Cleric as I already have a Backstory for the character in itself but mechanically I don't really know.

Generating Method will be 2 rows 4d6b3 and 1 row Pointbuy of undifined amount.

The "Party" is rather undefined, Wednesday evening we will build the characters (fill in the blanks) and everyone else already said a few things about what they want to play.
We will have:
Halfling Factotum
Halfling Unarmed Swordsage
Human Druid focused on Summoning Stuff and believing in Malars Dogma of Survival of the Fittest
Elven Wizard (Illusions)
Elven Sorcerer (I think)
and me.

At first I thought Crusader of Kelemvor or Good aligned Cleric of ?? (going for Persistant Spell without Nightstick stuff but no clue which god has Planning and Undeath) or Cleric going Radiant Servant of Lathander.

I would like to have healing, after combat healing abilities and well an more or less undead hunting theme... but are a bit... torn. I thought about a Cleric of a Cause but that might not work in this group/with this DM.

Can you help me with this? (We start at level 1 and will probably play with Multiclass Penalities)

EDIT:
What Feats and Domains would you get with an Undead Hunting Cleric of Kelemvor that is a non-dedicated healer and what would you get for a Cleric of Lathander? Obviously both should have options against undead without access to Libris Mortis, BoVD, BoED and Fiendish Codixes. (Spell Compendium is available though.)

Ok I happened to read through Complete Mage for the Reserve feats to advice the Druid what to take (She loves Summoning and Call Lightning). I read about the Eldritch Disciple and... since I don't really know what to do with the Cleric anyhow I thought why not use this? It only let's me lose 2 Cleric Caster Levels but gives me 11 Casterlevels of Warlock.
Cleric 1/Warlock 1/Cleric 3/Eldritch Disciple 10/Contemplative seems to be a nice fit.
Now I'm searching for a Chaotic Good Patron Deity(Faerun/Forgotten Realms) to take for a Chaotic Good Human and still which domains and now Invocations I should take. And a good reason why this Cleric has those Warlock powers.

Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Greenish
2013-02-16, 07:38 AM
Be both, go for RKV (re-fluffed as appropriate).

Krazzman
2013-02-16, 07:49 AM
Be both, go for RKV (re-fluffed as appropriate).

Sadly no refluff possible. As in I have to be in this church thing and so on. I will try to take the prereqs for it but doubt that I am allowed RKV (which is sad).

Thanks for the response.

Greenish
2013-02-16, 08:29 AM
Well then, my inclination tends to be towards non-casters, so I'd go crusader and leave the out of combat healing to wands (once the party can pool money for those) and have the factotum or the druid use them. A tanky crusader has some serious staying power in the lower levels anyway, and a few tricks to make himself the main target (Iron Guard's Glare, mainly).

But if you can tell us more about your limits and fluff, it'll be easier to recommend stuff for you.

Krazzman
2013-02-16, 09:50 AM
Well then, my inclination tends to be towards non-casters, so I'd go crusader and leave the out of combat healing to wands (once the party can pool money for those) and have the factotum or the druid use them. A tanky crusader has some serious staying power in the lower levels anyway, and a few tricks to make himself the main target (Iron Guard's Glare, mainly).

But if you can tell us more about your limits and fluff, it'll be easier to recommend stuff for you.

Limits... hmm my GF (the Druid) thinks it might be better if I go Cleric, so I can use Wands too but have the Spontaneous Healer too, which might help in this group. Powerlevel wise I would think that they are rather low, and combat isn't really the focus.

At first I thought about a Warforged Crusader (going "I am your personal Guard, I'll watch over you.") and well this wasn't really a thing I should play according to group reaction.

As such Human it is then. Wanting to play a Perstistance Cleric like... for the past 3 years. To actively praise a Persistant Lesser Vigor as a Miracle and so on. I believe the focus is more or less in the Roleplay aspect than the battle one. But since in Faerun no god seems to have both domains this is rather hard to pull of. I'm Limited to not know what stats I will have and how good they will be. Further I don't know which books will be allowed and we are "asked" to let the "builds" simple.

Greenish
2013-02-16, 09:59 AM
Well, if you want to play a cleric, play a cleric. You can pull off DMM without having both of the mentioned domains, though it'll eat your feats. But then again, you are a human.

Krazzman
2013-02-16, 03:17 PM
Since those two domains will not work together... I assume that the best way would be to ask:

What Feats and Domains would you get with an Undead Hunting Cleric of Kelemvor that is a non-dedicated healer and what would you get for a Cleric of Lathander? Obviously both should have options against undead without access to Libris Mortis, BoVD, BoED and Fiendish Codixes. (Spell Compendium is available though.)

For Kelemvor the Travel Domain seems really a good pick.

Krazzman
2013-02-17, 08:07 AM
Updating my "build" process, it still has a few gaps (mainly Domains and Deities...).

Ok I happened to read through Complete Mage for the Reserve feats to advice the Druid what to take (She loves Summoning and Call Lightning). I read about the Eldritch Disciple and... since I don't really know what to do with the Cleric anyhow I thought why not use this? It only let's me lose 2 Cleric Caster Levels but gives me 11 Casterlevels of Warlock.
Cleric 1/Warlock 1/Cleric 3/Eldritch Disciple 10/Contemplative seems to be a nice fit.
Now I'm searching for a Chaotic Good Patron Deity(Faerun/Forgotten Realms) to take for a Chaotic Good Human and still which domains and now Invocations I should take. And a good reason why this Cleric has those Warlock powers.

Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Krazzman
2013-02-17, 06:12 PM
I hope this doesn't count as spamming...

The only deities I found suitable were Sune, Sharess and Tymora. Of which Sune and Sharess were out after reading a bit of fluff. So I now have to decide between Change, Luck, Chaos, Good, Protection and Travel.

From these I thing Travel and Luck are the ones best suited for what I have in mind. On second Level the level of Warlock will either grant me See the Unseen (Darkvision and See Invisibility) or either Shatter/Entropic Warding/Spiderclimb (will depend of campaign).

This somehow made my role in the group, that I wanted to take be a bit different. Power attack would probably be wasted and I am stuck with 2 open feats, any recommendations for going melee/getting more skillpoints will be appreciated.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-17, 07:16 PM
Why just those three deities? Lliira, Anhur, Tymora, Valkur, Selune, Finder Wyvernspur, Garagos, Shundakul, Tempus, and Uthgar are also possible. I'd personally go with Lurue, since in 4e she's an archfey and a possible source of both cleric and warlock power, and even previous to that she's pretty wild.

Krazzman
2013-02-18, 06:19 AM
Well my limitation was: not dead, non elven, chaotic good and non mulhorandic. After reading a bit it seems like the only choice left were those 3 mentioned.

Although Shaundakul with Air Devotion seems like a cool thing to do. I'll stay with Tymora and pick up Extend Spell and Persistant Spell. That way I either can take Divine Metamagic on level 3 or Improved Armored Casting to be able to invoke warlock stuff in medium armor.
Or should I focus on Dex instead of strenght and stay with light armor? Should I take other feats and forget about DMMPersist? If yes, what should I take else?