PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Shackles and Teleportation

Toliudar
2013-02-16, 09:49 AM
I have a wizard who has just been grappled and slapped with Anti-Magic Shackles (BoED pg 116). I suspect that the next move is to render me unconscious and teleport me somewhere.

My questions to you are:

Can you teleport while under the effect of anti-magic if someone else is the source of the spell?
If the person in Anti-Magic Shackles dies, do the shackles continue to extend their aura?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-02-16, 09:52 AM
No and yes, respectively.

An AMF prevents -all- magic from functioning within its AoE. Only the effect of instantaneous conjurations can enter the field without being suppressed; a result of the fact that the magic is done and gone while the effect remains and even those effects can't be created within the field but must be created outside it and thrust in.

Psyren
2013-02-16, 10:13 AM
Kelb is correct - the shackles actually create a 5ft. radius AMF when fastened, so they affect a wider area than just you (unless you are Large.) Most forms of teleportation require the character to touch you, so they would be inside the field too. However, a Wish could be used to teleport you anywhere in the world or multiverse without coming into contact with you or even having to disable your AMF first.

If you die while wearing them, they are presumably still fastened, and so they would continue to generate the field.

Toliudar
2013-02-16, 10:23 AM
Thanks to both of you. That helps tremendously!

Mr Adventurer
2013-02-16, 11:06 AM
You get a Will save agianst most Teleport spells and the transport function of Wish, as well.

TuggyNE
2013-02-16, 07:47 PM
You get a Will save agianst most Teleport spells and the transport function of Wish, as well.

Teleport, for example, does not give creatures a Will save; if they are willing, they are teleported, but if not, they simply remain behind.

In this case, because unconsciousness assumes willingness (for targeting purposes) there's no save and you get auto-teleported.

Of course, that doesn't fix the AMF problem.

Mr Adventurer
2013-02-16, 10:18 PM
Huh! Good to know.

mattie_p
2013-02-17, 12:48 AM
Teleport, for example, does not give creatures a Will save; if they are willing, they are teleported, but if not, they simply remain behind.

In this case, because unconsciousness assumes willingness (for targeting purposes) there's no save and you get auto-teleported.

Of course, that doesn't fix the AMF problem.

Once the wizard is unconscious, take the shackles off or suppress them in some fashion, then teleport.