PDA

View Full Version : Summoner Synthesist Build Help

sepchan
2013-02-16, 09:55 AM
Something I've been wanting to try for a long time is a bipedal Summoner(Synthesist) melee tank. I've toyed around with a few ideas but I never seem to be able to pick something to build towards.

My stats to work with were 10,11,12,16,18,18.
We are allowed to use all PF sources (excluding 3rd party), all 3.5 sources (again no 3rd party and using any PF rewrites/updates/conversion), as well as dragon magazine.
Nothing is explicitly banned (yet), but is subject to DM approval.
We are allowed 2 traits, and a flaw to gain a bonus feat.
I was even allowed to make my own race, so I made my own version of puss in boots from Shrek for humor. The idea being if I ever dismiss or lose my Eidolon suit I will pull the sad eyes trick. lol

Red Panda (11RP Total)

(0RP) Humanoid (Panda)
(0RP) Small Size
(1RP) Specialized -2 Str/Dex/Con and +4 Cha
(-1RP) Slow Speed
(0RP) Standard Languages
(1RP) Low-Light Vision

(3RP) Silver Tongued: Members of this race gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks. In addition, when they use Diplomacy to shift a creature's attitude, they can do so up to three steps up rather than just two.

(2RP) Hypnotic: Members of this race add +1 to the DC for all saving throws against spells or effects they cast that inflict the fascinated condition. Once per day, when a creature rolls a saving throw against such an effect from a member of this race, the member of the race can force that creature to reroll the saving throw and use the second result, even if it is worse.

(5RP) Hypnotic Cuteness: Members of this race gain the following supernatural ability: Creatures within 30 feet of a member of this race that meet its gaze must succeed at a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + Charisma modifier) or become fascinated for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting charm effect. A target that successfully saves cannot be affected by the user's hypnotic cuteness for 24 hours.

~ Hypnotic Cuteness is just a reworked version of Frightful Gaze (6RP): Members of this race gain the following supernatural ability: Creatures within 30 feet of a member of this race that meet its gaze must succeed at a Will saving throw (DC 10 + the 1/2 user's character level + the user's Charisma modifier) or stand paralyzed in fear for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting fear effect. A target that successfully saves cannot be affected by the user's frightful gaze for 24 hours.
My level 1 build:

Str>8(10-2 racial) - 16 (Eidolon)
Dex>9(11-2 racial) - 12 (Eidolon)
Con>10(12-2 racial) - 13 (Eidolon)
Int>16
Wis>18
Cha>22(18+4 racial)

Trait 1 - Rich Parents (Used to buy a wand of Keep Watch)
Trait 2 - Reactionary for +2 Trait bonus on Initiative (Low Dex)

Flaw - Glory Hound - You suffer a -2 penalty to AC during combat until you drop an opponent. This penalty does not apply if the combat is against a single opponent.

Feat 1 - Extra Evolution - Your eidolon’s evolution pool increases by 1.
Feat 2 - Haven't made a real choice.

Evolutions: Improved Damage Claws(1d4>1D6), Improved Natural Armor, Ability Increase (Str)
For my out of combat roleplaying, I decided to focus on Cha based skills and not sleeping to hide my "cuteness" until the right moment. I also chose a somewhat menacing form for my Eidolon to enhance the effect when my Eidolon finally goes away.

What I'm having a hard time with is deciding what feats to take for a melee build, whether to use natural attacks or manufactured weapons, and whether or not I should take levels of these classes; monk, oracle, or paladin. If I decide to do natural attacks what would be more beneficial, many attacks (because I can) or one big attack with reach/combat reflexes/combat maneuvers (since I gave up pounce)?

Reasons to take a dip:
1 level of Monk offers Wis to AC/CMD, a bonus feat and good saves.
1 level of Oracle offers Cha instead of Dex for calculating AC+Reflex Saves (Lore Mystery - Sidestep Secret Revelation).
2 levels of Paladin offers Cha to saves, Smite Evil, and weapon proficiencies.
I am leaning heavily towards taking the one level dip of Oracle at level 2.

I would definitely appreciate any feedback and suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks in advance.

Private
2013-02-16, 11:39 AM
If you are making a Summoner it is typically a bad idea to do any dips, especially for a Synthesist, since your other class levels don't improve your Eidolon, which is your Key feature.

I did make a pretty decent Synthesist Melee build here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14638651&postcount=368). This build was made for a specific challenge, so you could do some tweaks, but I think it is a pretty strong build altogether. I obviously went the Weapon Wielding route, but there are lots of other ways to do things.

I would strongly advise visiting the Summoner's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592&page=1), which addresses a lot of your questions.

sepchan
2013-02-16, 05:01 PM
STR 58 (+24) (16 base + 16 Size + 7 Eidolon + 3 ABI + 6 Item + 4 Tome + 6 Bloodline)

Can you clarify if and how some of the bonuses you have listed apply to the Eidolon and stack with each other?

"ABI" I'm assuming is the ability increase every 4 levels.
- Can you choose whether to increase your character's base ability score or your Eidolon's base score? I know if you adjust your own Str then it is just replaced with Eidolon's Str once you summon your "suit".

The Tome and Bloodline both grant an Inherent Bonus.
- Same question as above can you choose which gets the bonus?
- Does the Inherent bonus from the Tome stack with the Inherent bonus from the bloodline?

Thanks again.

Private
2013-02-17, 08:09 AM
Can you clarify if and how some of the bonuses you have listed apply to the Eidolon and stack with each other?

"ABI" I'm assuming is the ability increase every 4 levels.
- Can you choose whether to increase your character's base ability score or your Eidolon's base score? I know if you adjust your own Str then it is just replaced with Eidolon's Str once you summon your "suit".

The Tome and Bloodline both grant an Inherent Bonus.
- Same question as above can you choose which gets the bonus?
- Does the Inherent bonus from the Tome stack with the Inherent bonus from the bloodline?

Thanks again.

"ABI" Refers to the Ability Score Increases that the Eidolons gain per their advancement chart.

The Tome and Bloodline do both grant inherent bonuses. There is some debate on whether or not they do stack given the text of each entry, but I guess it depends on your DM. Even without the Tome I think it still does fairly well.

The only bonuses that probably won't translate are the bonuses to attack and damage that I calculated in for the opponent's "Come and Get Me" ability, so both attack and damage would be reduced by 4.

sepchan
2013-02-17, 12:04 PM
"ABI" Refers to the Ability Score Increases that the Eidolons gain per their advancement chart.

The Tome and Bloodline do both grant inherent bonuses. There is some debate on whether or not they do stack given the text of each entry, but I guess it depends on your DM. Even without the Tome I think it still does fairly well.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I will have to do some research and check with my DM about the inherent abilities.