PDA

View Full Version : Help me help my half-orc buddy

ahenobarbi
2013-02-16, 03:24 PM
I want to help one of my fellow players with improving his character. parameters of request:

I should keep things simple. So no casting (like Runescattered berserker) or full martial adetps.
Keep existing class levels and feats
No psionics.
Having high to-hit and damage is a priority (but let's not make the numbers too high to avoid ban-hammer from DM).
The character is orc-hater.
We play in Faerun.
No more base classes (XP penalties for multi classing =_=).

What I know about his character (I didn't have time to get everything):

Half-Orc Fighter 5/ Barbarian 1/ Wereboar (+2 LA, no RHD) / One unchosen level
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 8

Known feats: Monkey Grip, Weapon Focus (Mace!), Weapon Specialization (Mace...), Power Attack

Known equipment: Adamantine Mace +1, Mithral Fullplate (with spikes and potion-chamber (automatically feeds you a potion on critical hit)), metal heavy shield, masterwork potion belt, about 20 cure potions (home brewed: they heal (1d8 + 1) HP for every 50 gp you paid). At least 5000 unspent gp, probably more.

Switching to hybrid form gives him +4 Str, +8 Con. He can also rage 1/day for +4 Str, +4 Con. We didn't buff him much (usually just haste at beginning of a fight).

His numbers are somewhat lacking:

HP: 75 (117 while raging in hybrid form with haste)
AC: 24
To-hit: +17 (7 (BaB) + 7 (Str) + 1 (Mace) +1 (Weapon Focus) +1 (haste))
Damage: 2d6 + 9 ( 2d6 + 2 (Weapon Specialization) + 7 (Str))

Current plan is:

Keep were boar.
Try to replace one-handed oversized heavy mace with two-handed oversized war mace to boost base weapon damage to 3d6.
Buff: Greater Mighty Wallop (6d6 base damge), Greater Magic Weapon (+1 to hit and damage), Create Magic Tatoo ( +2 (competence) to-hit).
Check equipment... I have no idea what he did with all the money he should have. I think he could get:

Items buffing Str and Con.
Armbands of Might (MiC, 4100gp). Basically he will have to power attack for at least +2 so +4 damage (with two-hand weapon).

Now I have no idea what class / feat to recommend.

Original idea:

Cure lycanthropy. +4 Str, +8 Con, +2 Wis are not worth 2 class levels. This will give 3 levels to play with.
Get DM and player to change some feats to Cleave, Destructive Rage and Intimidating Rage.
Add 3 levels of Frenzied Berserker.
Cast mighty wallop on the mace. This will increase base damage to 4d6.
Cast Create Magic Tatoo (SpC) on him to give +2 (competence) to-hit bonus.
Get Martial Study as 9th level feat (help picking maneuver will be greately appreciated).

I think it would fit thematically with the character (he acts kind of like he had frenzy anyways). It's simple for the player. It gives him big numbers. I think I can deal with negative consequences of Frenzied Berserker (i.e. party-killing).

I'm sure someone here has a better idea so please help me help my team mate :smallsmile:

Qc Storm
2013-02-16, 03:37 PM
Isn't Monkey Grip a completely dysfunctional feat?

SilverLeaf167
2013-02-16, 03:43 PM
My idea:

Cure lycanthropy. +4 Str, +8 Con, +2 Wis are not worth 2 class levels. This will give 3 levels to play with.
Get DM and player to change some feats to Cleave, Destructive Rage and Intimidating Rage.
Add 3 levels of Frenzied Berserker.
Cast mighty wallop on the mace. This will increase base damage to 4d6.
Cast Create Magic Tatoo (SpC) on him to give +2 (competence) to-hit bonus.
Get Martial Study as 9th level feat (help picking maneuver will be greately appreciated).

Actually, those stat boosts are usually worth two levels, if those levels happen to be of something like Fighter or Barbarian. Two levels in those classes would basically get you +2 BAB and little else; that BAB is made up for by the Str boost and you also get more damage, while such a huge Con boost almost definitely makes up the lost HD.
Your ideas regarding feats, Mighty Wallop and Martial Stufy are good though.
Frenzied Berserker is a pretty tricky class unless your party really prepares for the repercussions...

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-02-16, 04:02 PM
The Warmace, from Complete Warrior, does 1d12 in exchange for -1 AC; you can wield it 2-handed without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat. Monkey-gripping brings it up to 3d6, I think. If he wants to keep swinging a mace, this'll give him a bit more damage*.
Also, if he ditches the shield, he'll only lose 2 AC, as it looks like he isn't really optimized for bashing. Grabbing a two-hander (like the Warmace mentioned above, if he wants to keep the style of a mace*) would put a bit more strength towards his damage, and give better returns for Power Attack.
Otherwise, focus on Strength. It looks like he has enough gold for Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and isn't using that magic item slot. Should help.

*If he isn't particularly attached to the idea of a mace, a greatsword or greataxe would be a good choice for a weapon.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-16, 04:29 PM
Isn't Monkey Grip a completely dysfunctional feat?

Yes it is. I think we have effective house rule (possibly because of overlook) that it just lets you use a weapon one size bigger (which gives you only higher base damage).

Actually, those stat boosts are usually worth two levels, if those levels happen to be of something like Fighter or Barbarian.

Yes. However if those two levels are in a decent PrC I think PrC will be better. For example replacing +2 LA with 2 levels of Frenzied Berserker would give him better strength (+6 in place of +4) and +2 BAB. For net +3 to hit and +1 damage.

It would lower his HP by about 17, however at Frenzied Berserker 4 he will get Deathless Frenzy. So even if he gets to -10 HP or lower we will have some time to try to save him (which will be a bit tricky but I think we can manage it).

The Warmace, from Complete Warrior, does 1d12 in exchange for -1 AC; you can wield it 2-handed without the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat. Monkey-gripping brings it up to 3d6, I think. If he wants to keep swinging a mace, this'll give him a bit more damage*.
Also, if he ditches the shield, he'll only lose 2 AC, as it looks like he isn't really optimized for bashing. Grabbing a two-hander (like the Warmace mentioned above, if he wants to keep the style of a mace*) would put a bit more strength towards his damage, and give better returns for Power Attack.
Otherwise, focus on Strength. It looks like he has enough gold for Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and isn't using that magic item slot. Should help.

*If he isn't particularly attached to the idea of a mace, a greatsword or greataxe would be a good choice for a weapon.

I think he wants to keep using mace. I'll check if it will be possible to replace regular mace with war mace.

I know shield is only 2 AC... he thinks it still matters so he will continue to use it until the shield gets animated.

ahenobarbi
2013-02-16, 05:28 PM
I thought for a moment... and I thin I don't want to deal with Frenzied Berserker. If I buffed him and prepared to contain his party-slaying potential I would be short on resources.

So my current plan is:

Keep were boar.
Try to replace one-handed oversized heavy mace with two-handed oversized war mace to boost base weapon damage to 3d6.
Buff: Greater Mighty Wallop (6d6 base damge), Greater Magic Weapon (+1 to hit and damage), Create Magic Tatoo ( +2 (competence) to-hit).
Check equipment... I have no idea what he did with all the money he should have. I think he could get:

Items buffing Str and Con.
Armbands of Might (MiC, 4100gp). Basically he will have to power attack for at least +2 so +4 damage (with two-hand weapon).

Now I have no idea what class / feat to recommend.

EDIT: Numbers look somewhat better now (while raging in hybrid form with long-term buffs, Armbands of Might and haste) so I think I should look for class, feat and equipment to boost something else than offence

HP: 125 + 1d?
AC: 22
To-hit: +20 (7 (BaB) + 7 (Str) + 2 (enhancement) +1 (Weapon Focus) +1 (haste) +2 competence)
Damage: 6d6 + 16 (+2 (Weapon Specialization) + 10 (Str) + 4 (power attack)) (22 to 52; 37 on average)