PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Is flying worth three feats?

Jeivar
2013-02-16, 04:16 PM
I've developed an itch for playing an Aasimar paladin, and when I was considering builds I came across the special Aasimar racial feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats#TOC-Aasimar). Specifically the Angelic Blood -Angelic Flesh - Angel wings chain.

I really REALLY dig the fluff of having actual angel wings sprouting from my character's back, and being able to fly (albeit not very fast) obviously does have uses. But is it useful ENOUGH to warrant three whole feats that could be spent on channeling or lay on hands or a cool melee combo?

I really haven't played Pathfinder much, and I simply don't have much of an eye for optimizations in systems. Advice?

Ranos
2013-02-16, 04:40 PM
While cool and fluffy, the ability really isn't worth it. Sorry.
If you want the ability to fly as a paladin, mounts are the easier way to go. There's the Dire Bat mount which costs 450gp. Then there's the Sacred Servant Archetype Paladin who can get himself a flying mount as a planar ally for free starting from 8th. And otherwise, there's always magic items.

Xerxus
2013-02-16, 04:48 PM
Hey now, don't underestimate the humble angelic wings!

Being able to avoid falling damage is pretty nice in itself. But the real fun comes out of being one of the few inherent nonmagical flying abilities! Dispel magic - no problem. Someone kills your mount - no problem. Storms and strong winds - big problem.

Really though, in areas where you can't bring a mount (like into a cave) where flying can be a real advantage, it sure is a boon to have undispellable flying imo!

The Glyphstone
2013-02-16, 05:04 PM
No one said nonmagical flight is bad...but three feats, even in Pathfinder, is a pretty big opportunity cost. That's what you have to consider, weighed against how often you expect to be without your flying mount and in a situation that requires you to be able to fly.

Lord_Gareth
2013-02-16, 05:05 PM
Worth three feats? No. But for melee, flight is everything, so make sure you get it somehow. Sell your soul if you need to.

SamBurke
2013-02-16, 05:05 PM
I've developed an itch for playing an Aasimar paladin, and when I was considering builds I came across the special Aasimar racial feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats#TOC-Aasimar). Specifically the Angelic Blood -Angelic Flesh - Angel wings chain.

I really REALLY dig the fluff of having actual angel wings sprouting from my character's back, and being able to fly (albeit not very fast) obviously does have uses. But is it useful ENOUGH to warrant three whole feats that could be spent on channeling or lay on hands or a cool melee combo?

I really haven't played Pathfinder much, and I simply don't have much of an eye for optimizations in systems. Advice?

I'd go for a Hippogriff. It's beast-awesome, and costs 500 GP.

Mergy
2013-02-16, 05:13 PM
It's not three feats, it's two. Angel Blood is the prerequisite, and it gives a rather weak +2 to saves against evil descriptor spells like blasphemy. However, that's the only prerequisite for getting Angel Wings at level 11.

Now, if you want Metallic Wings, which allows you to make natural attacks with them, you also need Angelic Flesh. That's not required for the fly speed, however.

Jeivar
2013-02-16, 05:26 PM
It's not three feats, it's two. Angel Blood is the prerequisite, and it gives a rather weak +2 to saves against evil descriptor spells like blasphemy. However, that's the only prerequisite for getting Angel Wings at level 11.

Now, if you want Metallic Wings, which allows you to make natural attacks with them, you also need Angelic Flesh. That's not required for the fly speed, however.

Oops. You're right.

I do have to admit unlimited flight sounds a lot better when it only costs two feats.

Baroncognito
2013-02-16, 05:29 PM
Angelic Blood sounds like it'd be fun to combine with Holy Vindicator. Sure, it's only one point of damage, but Holy Vindicator bleeds pretty reliably.

Edit: And now my mental image has become a guy in plate armour pretending to be a sprinkler and spraying blood all over the place.

Slipperychicken
2013-02-16, 05:46 PM
Oops. You're right.

I do have to admit unlimited flight sounds a lot better when it only costs two feats.

Especially in a low-op game, where you have the freedom to get a few sub-par feats here and there. So yeah, go with your heart and fly among the eagles.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-16, 06:06 PM
It's not just the feat cost, it's the min level required to get the flight that matters.

It's ok, I'm not going to say it's bad. But it's not the greatest deal around, either. Certainly much better than not having flight at all by any means.

avr
2013-02-16, 09:17 PM
30' & average maneuverability (or worse in medium+ armour) is pretty poor for an ability you'll be picking up at level 11.

Your basic fly spell is 60'/good and overland flight is 40', phantom steeds can be ridiculously fast. Most flying monsters are much faster too. Others will fly circles around you.