PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate Warforged

Pesimismrocks
2013-02-16, 04:58 PM
I recently stumbled upon the Incarnate construct spell and I was wondering .
Can a Warforged take the template at creation?
If so do they get 2 extra character levels , or +2 la of templates?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-16, 05:16 PM
No.

Incarnate Construct reduces your current level adjustment by two points, but never reduces it below zero. It is an acquired template, which means it must be applied after any inherited templates.

There are no beneficial templates which can be applied to a construct before Incarnate Construct is applied, and applying templates after Incarnate Construct does not affect the level adjustment of those templates in any way.

Pesimismrocks
2013-02-16, 05:26 PM
There are no beneficial templates which can be applied to a construct before Incarnate Construct is applied
Can Warforged not take templates like draconic, feral or Lolth touched before the spell and therefore remove those level adjustments if starting at a high level?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-02-16, 05:36 PM
Can Warforged not take templates like draconic, feral or Lolth touched before the spell and therefore remove those level adjustments if starting at a high level?

Feral can only be applied to humanoids and monstrous humanoids, so it cannot be applied before Incarnate Construct.

Lolth-Touched can be added before Incarnate Construct, but only the ability score adjustments will stick.

Draconic is RAW legal, but good luck finding a DM who's sympathetic to the idea of a construct with dragonblooded ancestors. Again only the ability score adjustments plus the natural armor will stick.

Something to keep in mind about Incarnate Construct, you automatically lose all attacks except unarmed strikes, and you automatically lose all of your special attacks and special qualities. This includes class features and weapon proficiencies from your first class level, because you must have at least one HD to exist and you must exist to gain an acquired template. So it basically costs you a class level to gain it.

Pesimismrocks
2013-02-16, 05:43 PM
Does losing first level matter a higher levels? Or do you have to take first level again? If this is true why bother putting-2 la in it? Surely it would be+1 la.
Which book does this template come from? I saw it in another thread
Also one note :if your taking Lolth-touched its probably the +6 str/con rather than measly bonuses to stealth

silverwolfer
2013-02-16, 05:54 PM
half-giant ...dustform ...incarnte construct...primodial giant template

Kaje
2013-02-16, 06:25 PM
Does losing first level matter a higher levels? Or do you have to take first level again? If this is true why bother putting-2 la in it? Surely it would be+1 la.
Also one note :if your taking Lolth-touched its probably the +6 str/con rather than measly bonuses to stealth

It's not just first level. IC makes you lose everything.

Ruethgar
2013-02-17, 12:13 AM
Incarnate Construct does not remove sub types, simply changes the type to humanoid. This means that Warforged would keep a massive number of bonuses from retaining the Living Construct sub type.

Urpriest
2013-02-17, 01:22 AM

In those terms, it's because the template was designed for creatures with racial hit dice.

Crake
2013-02-17, 01:56 AM
Incarnate Construct does not remove sub types, simply changes the type to humanoid. This means that Warforged would keep a massive number of bonuses from retaining the Living Construct sub type.

Living construct is a construct subtype, you need to be a construct to be able to have it, so by losing the construct type, you lose the living construct subtype as well

Bakkan
2013-02-17, 02:57 AM
Living construct is a construct subtype, you need to be a construct to be able to have it, so by losing the construct type, you lose the living construct subtype as well

That is a reasonable houserule, but not RAW. I'm not even sure it's necessary - I played a Saint warforged once and therefore was of type Outsider (Living Construct).