PDA

View Full Version : I would like to request A PathFinder crafting based prestige class

tardisvalkyrie
2013-02-16, 08:22 PM
I am great at homebrewing monsters and spells, but my class creation skills are sub-par

okay, so i am playing a crafting based wizard in a PF campaign, and i would like to get a prestige class for it, because that is almost my whole deal. anyone willing to take that as inspiration and oblige, (i will owe you one funny picture {off the internet, I can't draw to save my life)

things i would like but don't know how to balance

reduced crafting time
reduced crafting fees
crafting based bonus feats
to be able to continue spellcasting

Waargh!
2013-02-17, 12:31 PM
The Craftsman

Requirements
-Craft(something): 5 ranks
-Special: know the spell Minor Creation

Skill Points: 2 + Int

Hit Points: 1d4

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Spell-caster, Craftsman crew, Craft Anything

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Brew Potion, Craft Magic Weapons and Armors, Craft Rod, Craft Wand, Craft Staff

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Second Crew, Forge Ring, Scribe Scroll

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Mage's Assistants

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Signature Items, Third Crew
[/table]

Skills:Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Weapon and armor proficiency: None

Spell caster: the Craftsman continues gaining levels as a spell caster as if he was gaining levels from a spell casting class she had previously that granted him Minor Creation. She doesn't gain any other bonuses and the levels gained don't count for any other purposes except for spell progression.

Craftsman Crew: the Craftsman can choose to summon assistants to expedite the creation of an item using her Craft skill. Whenever she would summon a monster with a Summon Monster X spell that monster can instead be treated as part of her crew.
In order to initiate the work the Craftsman needs to be present and give instructions to her crew. She cannot add more crew members after this point and she cannot have multiple crews at any given momemnt. After that the crew can work without her supervision and disappears when the item is created. The crew can work all day without stopping effectively completing 3 times the work in a day. In order to count the amount of work done in a day use the normal rules for the Craft Skill with the exception
-Add all the summoned crew members and multiply by 3. She may additionally choose to add her familiar as part of the crew
-She may choose to add herself
-Multiply the progression by the total number of days (or hours) needed
-Don't roll a Craft check, instead take 10
-The minimum amount is 8 hours (1 day)

Example: if you summon 5 wolves you may choose instead to have them all create a full-plate armor. You may choose to add your familiar. You choose to give the instructions and leave. The crew is a total of 6 and effectively counts as 18. The full-plate has DC of 18 and costs 15,000 sp. You take 10 on your craft skill for a total of 30. In a week you will have normally made the cost of 30(check)x18(DC)=540sp. But since you have 18 member crew you can multiply this and get 9,720sp = 972gp. So you can estimate that you need about 1 week and a half to complete this item.

The monsters appearance changes accordingly to be able to function as a worker (i.e. a summoned wolf would be able to communicate, have enough intelligence, maybe get a humanoid form etc). The summoned monster spell lasts also as long as the task in hand is uncompleted and this overrides its normal duration. If the crew, though, feels endangered they revert back to their original form and the normal duration applies counting from the time they were originally summoned even if that causes them to seize to exist. If the danger disappears and the monster is still present, it can resume its work.

Craft anything: the Craftsman may choose to have only one single skill, Craft(Anything), that can function to create any craft. When this class feature is acquired she may take skill points used from other craft skills and combine them up to the maximum of the level. The unused skill points can be used for other intelligent based skills

Mage's Assistant: this functions like the craftsman crew but instead the monsters get an appropriate figure for a mage's assistant and are used instead when enchanting magical items. You may either have a mage's assistant or a craftsman crew, not both. You must cast all component spells and present all gps and XP, after that the assistants can work without supervision. Furthermore, when using an assistant you may instead pay the full price of the item and no XP cost except for any XP cost to cast the component spells or if explicitly stated so.

Craft feats: the craftsman gains the feat as stated in her class table

Second and third crew: the craftsman can have two or three individual crews or mage's assistant (one of the two) at the same time. These function as normal.

Signature item: the craftsman has become a master of her art and her creations well known. Each item bears a symbol of her work which can be recognized for anyone with the right knowledge or with an Appraise 10 check. Its quality is exceptional, every item created or enchanted has one and a half their normal hardness and in addition grands +1 morale bonus to its wielder (these bonuses don't stack with each other). If the item is a weapon the bonus applies to attack and damage rolls, if it is a staff, rod or wand it applies to spell touch attacks, if it is an armor it applies to AC, if it is any other item it applies to all saves.

NOTES
1) Time reduced? Yes, with craftsman crew and mages's assistant
2) Fees reduced? You gain all the craft feats and a combined skill to reduce feat tax and skill point tax
3) Crafting based bonus feats? You gain all feats plus one special ability, Signature item
4) Continue spell casting? Normal progression

Balanced?
Even after the gain of all these bonuses is still faster to teleport to a town and just buy the items. Not paying XP cost for creating items still doesn't buy them cheaper either. So i would say that in the end its balanced. You sacrifice 5 potentially class features to be able to craft any item for you and your party.

LordErebus12
2013-02-17, 12:41 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer
its a full based class but it might give you ideas.

qwertyu63
2013-02-17, 02:13 PM
It doesn't advance casting, but... my Craftsman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240416) class should fit the rest of the bill.