PDA

View Full Version : how to make a pokeball?

silverwolfer
2013-02-16, 08:41 PM
Now I know the usual thing is portable hole + ring of sustenance, but is there a more cheaper way to do this?

Darrin
2013-02-16, 08:58 PM
Now I know the usual thing is portable hole + ring of sustenance, but is there a more cheaper way to do this?

Token Familiar feat from Dragon #280. Or the smoky confinement spell (Complete Mage). Iron Flask (DMG) if you want something reusable.

avr
2013-02-16, 09:07 PM
In PF, preservationist archetype alchemist is almost exactly this by fluff. By mechanics it's the normal summon nature's ally. So, you could port the fluff back to a normal summon spell in 3.5 or PF if you wanted.

It's absurdly expensive but a mirror of life trapping does what you're after too. I think there are gems which you can break to summon an elemental in both 3.5 and PF.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-16, 09:19 PM
he varrious Bag of Tricks items kinda do it, too.

silverwolfer
2013-02-16, 09:24 PM
I think you are confusing what I want with a fancy way to summon things.

I am desiring a cheaper method to store something and release it later saftley , not make a more expensive summoning spell.

avr
2013-02-16, 10:15 PM
That's not obvious from the title or OP, but OK. Trap the Soul is cheaper as a one-off but more expensive if you intend to do this repeatedly. (Leomunds) Secret Chest is probably cheaper than a portable hole even if you need scrolls to cast it, but requires that the target fits into a 3'x2'x2' chest; you'll still need the ring of sustenance in this case.

Felyndiira
2013-02-16, 10:38 PM
If we're talking about a living thing, Baleful Polymorph the target into some small animal, like a fish, and store it inside a glass "pokeball" filled with water. Later, throw the pokeball at a hard surface and release the spell.

Ring of sustenance will probably be involved, as well.

gomipile
2013-02-16, 10:50 PM
That's not obvious from the title or OP, but OK. Trap the Soul is cheaper as a one-off but more expensive if you intend to do this repeatedly. (Leomunds) Secret Chest is probably cheaper than a portable hole even if you need scrolls to cast it, but requires that the target fits into a 3'x2'x2' chest; you'll still need the ring of sustenance in this case.

It isn't? I got the storage and release meaning from just the title.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-16, 10:58 PM
I am desiring a cheaper method to store something and release it later saftley , not make a more expensive summoning spell.OK. Is the target willing to be stored in this manner? That helps a lot if they are.

Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) has been mentioned, but casting it directly is a bad idea - use Shades (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shades.htm) to duplicate it (no expensive material component). Offers a save, but it's based on your casting, so probably not an overly big deal if you're focusing on this.
Iron Flasks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ironFlask) have been mentioned; they're 1/day, though, on attempting to catch something, and the save DC is only 19... and they're hideously expensive, and only work on extra-planar critters.
Smokey Confinement (Complete Mage) does the job well, has a fairly cheap focus (100 gp), and is only a 6th level spell. Downside: Touch range, Fort Negates. Also already mentioned, though.

Gavinfoxx
2013-02-17, 12:14 AM
Ring of Sustenance doesn't do air. You'd need some combination of:

Portable Hole
Bottle of Air
Wind Pipe
Chamber of Comfort
Enveloping Pit (with actual structure built in it)
And the aforementioned Ring of Sustenance.

Enveloping Pits have wayyyy more air in them than a Portable Hole.

There's also a Familiar Pocket spell.

Alienist
2013-02-17, 07:21 AM
Aberrant Sphere. p149 MIC.

It has everything that is Pokemon, including the cost of sanity...