PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Build thoughts/advice (Sorc into Abj Champ & JPM)

Gimur
2013-02-16, 09:37 PM
So, I'm running a lvl 3 Gnome Sorcerer at the moment, and I've been looking ahead in levels. There's a 3.5/PF transparency in effect, so most anything is available from either game. I've decided that I'd like to go into Abjurant Champion, and if the campaign goes as far as I hope it will, Jade Phoenix Mage (Concentration skill being ignored). Most anything about this character will likely be able to be moved around or altered in slight ways, since we're only 1 session in (a feat change, ability score swaps, etc).

The group isn't much for optimizing. We've got a Sword & Board Fighter (with a couple homebrewed rules to lessen how feat exhaustive it is), a Ranger dmpc, and a Priest that plans to be a healbot.

Stats as they are right now, from a predetermined stat array:

Gnome Sorcerer 3 (Air Elemental Bloodline*)
Str 12 Int 8
Dex 12 Wis 14
Con 12 Cha 18
Trait:
Magical Knack (up to +2 CL for Sorc casting, as long as it doesn't surpass Hit Die)
Feats:
Combat Casting
Improved Initiative
Spells:
0 - Resistance, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Dancing Lights, Message
1 - Mage Armor, Color Spray, Shock Shield, Burning Hands (Electricity)*

At the moment, my plan is to take Sorcerer to 6, to pick up Dispel Magic, before I crossclass into Crusader for 2 levels. That gets me maneuvers and Cha to Will saves, most importantly. In addition, that finishes the prereqs for Abjurant Champion.

Alternately, I could start the crossclassing at Sorcerer 4. That'd lead to 3 levels of Crusader, but I'd get into Abj Champ 1 level sooner, at the cost of being 1 Caster Level lower.

Beyond that, I'm pretty set. 4 levels in Abj Champ (since the 5th level wouldn't actually grant me any sort of benefit that I can see) and then Jade Phoenix Mage all the way to the end.

So, my questions!
Should I go Sorc 6 before crossclassing, or Sorc 4?
Any feats out there that would be particularly beneficial to this build idea?
Maneuver advice? I'm new to Tome of Battle, frankly.