PDA

View Full Version : ToB: Multiclassing and Maneuvers Readied

Ellrin
2013-02-16, 11:25 PM
I'm considering a build that has a one level dip in both swordsage and crusader, and was wondering how my maneuvers readied would work betwee the two classes. Do I start combat with four maneuvers of my choosing readied (from SS) as well as two randomly chosen maneuvers (from Cru)? If so, do the maneuvers readied from each class have to be selected only from schools you can select as a member of that class?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-02-16, 11:29 PM
I'm considering a build that has a one level dip in both swordsage and crusader, and was wondering how my maneuvers readied would work betwee the two classes. Do I start combat with four maneuvers of my choosing readied (from SS) as well as two randomly chosen maneuvers (from Cru)? If so, do the maneuvers readied from each class have to be selected only from schools you can select as a member of that class?

Yes and yes, in that order. Like spell casting, each class has its own seperate track for maneuvers know and maneuvers readied, and the two do not mix. So your Swordsage maneuvers readied must be pulled from your Swordsage maneuvers known, and vice versa for your Crusader levels.

What I'm not sure on is if knowing X maneuvers in one class helps the maneuvers known requirement for the same school in a different class...

mattie_p
2013-02-16, 11:29 PM

Correct on both counts. The maneuvers known and readied between the classes do not interact. So you start with your full 4 readied swordsage maneuvers, and additionally gain your granted crusader maneuvers. You ready each maneuver separately for each class, so you can only select your maneuvers to be readied from the available disciplines for that class (absent feats).

Draz74
2013-02-17, 12:15 AM
What I'm not sure on is if knowing X maneuvers in one class helps the maneuvers known requirement for the same school in a different class...

It does. I can't remember where this was confirmed, though.

mattie_p
2013-02-17, 12:22 AM
It does. I can't remember where this was confirmed, though.

It is in the Sage/Custserv answers. I personally disagree with that particular answer, as there is nothing in the ToB that states such, and it contradicts multi-classing rules found in the PHB. But here it is, in its full glory.

Q: If you have levels in two different martial adept classes (from Tome of Battle), such as swordsage and warblade for example, can you use maneuvers that you have for one class to meet the prereqs for a maneuver in your other class?

A: If a maneuver has a prerequisite that requires you to have a certain number of maneuvers from a certain martial discipline, then it only matters if you have that many maneuvers of that discipline. It does not matter if the maneuvers all belong to the same class.
For example, a swordsage 3/warblade 2 has a single Diamond Mind maneuver from the swordsage class. When this character takes a 3rd level of warblade, they gain another maneuver known and can choose Emerald Razor, using the Diamond Mind maneuver known from the Swordsage levels to qualify.

EDIT: For full disclosure, my reasoning on why I disagree with the sage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13987133&postcount=2006).

Ellrin
2013-02-17, 12:28 AM
So if you subsequently take feats to learn new maneuvers or take levels in a prestige class that grants maneuvers known and readied, do you have to choose a previous class to add them to, or are they their own independent thing?

mattie_p
2013-02-17, 12:32 AM
So if you subsequently take feats to learn new maneuvers or take levels in a prestige class that grants maneuvers known and readied, do you have to choose a previous class to add them to, or are they their own independent thing?

If you already have initiator levels, they are added to one of your previous initiator class(es). If you do not - they are their own independent thing.

Ellrin
2013-02-17, 01:02 AM
Alright, I think that answers all my confusion. Thanks, guys!