PDA

View Full Version : dungeon help

Ageir
2013-02-17, 03:07 AM
Is a dungeon with 14 trolls a crystalline troll and a cave troll too much for a gestalt party of 2 lvl six fighter barbarian goliaths a dawrf fighter paladin and a sun elf wizard?

Gotterdammerung
2013-02-17, 03:17 AM
Is a dungeon with 14 trolls a crystalline troll and a cave troll too much for a gestalt party of 2 lvl six fighter barbarian goliaths a dawrf fighter paladin and a sun elf wizard?

It depends entirely on the specific capabilities of their builds as well as the tactical prowess of the players. Whether or not they are forced to fight the dungeon all at once will also have a factor on the chances of success.

I have in my gaming experience both ran large groups of overwhelming monsters against a party and played in games where we had to fight a dungeon or encampment of overwhelming numbers of monsters. I have seen parties both succeed and fail miserably at this type of challenge. Personally, any time I have played in this type of scenario my group has always succeeded. But we always relied on teamwork and tactics to remove the numbers and strength advantage of the monsters.

If your group has these kinds of qualities they should be fine. I would recommend spreading the monsters out within the dungeon. It is ok for one or two of the monster groups to have a chance of overhearing the fight and coming for reinforcements. But automatically bringing an entire dungeons monsters to bare on the players will stress any adventuring group.

Ultimately, only you will be able to gauge the true strength and capabilities of your group, barring of course the addition of a LOT more details about your group to this thread.

Ageir
2013-02-17, 03:26 AM
It depends entirely on the specific capabilities of their builds as well as the tactical prowess of the players. Whether or not they are forced to fight the dungeon all at once will also have a factor on the chances of success.

I have in my gaming experience both ran large groups of overwhelming monsters against a party and played in games where we had to fight a dungeon or encampment of overwhelming numbers of monsters. I have seen parties both succeed and fail miserably at this type of challenge. Personally, any time I have played in this type of scenario my group has always succeeded. But we always relied on teamwork and tactics to remove the numbers and strength advantage of the monsters.

If your group has these kinds of qualities they should be fine. I would recommend spreading the monsters out within the dungeon. It is ok for one or two of the monster groups to have a chance of overhearing the fight and coming for reinforcements. But automatically bringing an entire dungeons monsters to bare on the players will stress any adventuring group.

Ultimately, only you will be able to gauge the true strength and capabilities of your group, barring of course the addition of a LOT more details about your group to this thread.

Thanks a lot, I don't have the sheets currently, but i did spread the out. I think the most trolls they fight at once is six. So I think they'll be okay I just fear I might be stressing the paeties resources.