PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Boost : Spell Resistance during Rage

Yahzi
2013-02-17, 03:19 AM
I want to add this to Barbarians as a class feature, mostly because it just feels right:

During a rage, Barbarians gain Spell Resistance 20 + Barbarian level.

Measured in bonus feats, how valuable do you think that is (i.e. if offered the chance to trade that class feature for bonus feats, how many would take before thinking it was a fair trade)?

TuggyNE
2013-02-17, 06:37 AM
I want to add this to Barbarians as a class feature, mostly because it just feels right:

During a rage, Barbarians gain Spell Resistance 20 + Barbarian level.

Measured in bonus feats, how valuable do you think that is (i.e. if offered the chance to trade that class feature for bonus feats, how many would take before thinking it was a fair trade)?

20+level? Yeesh. An at-level enemy caster with no CL boosts or SR penetration feats/spells/whatever will have no chance to affect the Barbarian with any SR:Yes spells. I'm not sure you want that. (Naturally, a higher-level caster with +2 CL and +14 to SR checks isn't going to have a problem with it.)

Crake
2013-02-17, 07:10 AM
Yeah, Just by reading the title, I thought that would be a good addition, but 20+barb level, yeah, thats just a little over the top. I would say something like 5+barb level, or at most 11+barb level would be good. 11+barb level means equal level casters with no CL or SR bonuses would have a 50/50 chance to affect, while 5+barb level is a 20% failure chance. Anything less or more would be either too little to matter or too high to be balanced.

Pickford
2013-02-17, 11:08 AM
Hrm...3, maybe 4.

Flickerdart
2013-02-17, 11:25 AM
I'd say 11+character level might be better - melee is nothing without its PrCs (though the Streetfighter ACF makes Barbarian one of the ones worth going to 20 for). Simply grant the ability at level, say, 5 or 6. Making the SR selectively permeable (so that the Barbarian can still take buffs and heals from allies) is also a good idea.