PDA

View Full Version : First time building pathfinder ranger! Help!

DrKirre
2013-02-17, 03:57 AM
Hey, everyone! I just recently got into a low-level PF game, and I decided to play a ranger this time around. I would have played a Rogue, but... see signature. :smalltongue:
Anyway! After looking over all the various bibs and bobs of the class, I've managed to cobble together some semblance of a class. Here's what I've got so far.
Human
Ranger 3
12, 17, 14, 13, 10, 10 stats (The dice, they dislike me)
Feats:
1:Two-Weapon Fighting
H:Improved Shield Bash
2R: Shield Slam
3: Shied Focus (Heavy Wood Shield)
Skills: I know I'll be taking Craft Armorsmithing, Perception, Stealth and Survival to max. Not sure on the others.
Planned feats include Boon Companion to get my fuzzy friend fully functional (yay alliteration!), and then more stuff to make meleeing with a pair of shields fun and functional.
Now, I know this build is, honestly, craptacular. That's why I was hoping for some advice! This is my first character that isn't either a rogue or a Dragonfire Adept, so any words of wisdom you have would be appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!

DonDuckie
2013-02-17, 06:05 AM
Are you using Weapon and Shield combat style?

Focus on strength over dex, and take Two weapon fighting as you bonus feat on second level. Maybe wait with shield slam.

If you are required to specify shield type(I think you only need to choose buckler, light, heavy, or tower) take heavy steel shield; and get a living steel shield(+100 gp, melee weapons(not sure about thrown) must save or break when rolling nat 1 against you) also a +1 bashing spiked heavy living steel shield deals 2d6+1+STR on damage.

DrKirre
2013-02-17, 01:24 PM
Ah, focus on STRENGTH! Okay, I'll statswap into it. I am using the "Sword/Shield" variant for early access to shieldfeats, yes. And thank you for the suggestion of what shield to go with - I never knew about Living Steel before, that stuff is NICE.