PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite items?

Eslin
2013-02-17, 04:55 AM
As the title suggests, what items do you find most useful/interesting? Personally I love the hat of disguise and the tree feather token, both are cheap and have a multitude of uses.

DrKirre
2013-02-17, 05:07 AM
In no particular order:
Rod of Wonder
Rod of Ropes
Immovable Rod
Sovereign Glue
I just realized how disturbing this list is....

Kinsmarck
2013-02-17, 05:42 AM
In no particular order:
Rod of Wonder
Rod of Ropes
Immovable Rod
Sovereign Glue
I just realized how disturbing this list is....

Just keep it all in the basement, and no one has to call authorities... :smallbiggrin:

For my part:
-The ever-popular 'Handy Haversack'
-The Rogue-in-an-item 'Ring of Lockpicking'
-The humble compass
-Wands of 'Magic Missile' and 'Cure ___ Wounds'

Yeah, I tend to like to fill in missing party roles with items that do their jobs for them. <<;

tiercel
2013-02-17, 06:01 AM
Obvious item is obvious, but (Heward's) Handy Haversack is so useful that it's easy to forget (especially at really low levels) that "you can retrieve basically anything on your character sheet as a move-equivalent action that doesn't provoke AoO" isn't actually a regular rule until you pay 2000gp to enable it.

Often some of my favorite items are one-shot items, the kind that let you pull a rabbit out of the hat unexpectedly, even if it's just a random scroll or two from your class list (or ones that can be UMD'd). Standard choices are escape/teleportation, odd info-gathering, and randomly improbable alpha-strike attacks that don't care about saving throws.

I like to eventually have at least one item that is powerful/useful in RP/downtime. Lyre of building is one example; every hour of playing produces 600 person-days of labor, the applications are almost endless (even if it's an item that is rarely useful in a standard 4-encounter-a-day dungeon experience).

Yora
2013-02-17, 06:12 AM
Belt of strength, gloves of dexterity, amulet of constitution, ring of protection, amulet of natural armor, bracers of armor, and elven boots and cloaks. Practical and usefull almost all the time.

Darrin
2013-02-17, 07:33 AM
Stormfire Ring. 4000 GP, Magic Item Compendium. Area effect, negates invisibility, up to 25d6 electricity damage, no save.

Keltaris
2013-02-17, 08:36 AM
Shapesand.

Krobar
2013-02-17, 10:28 AM
In no specific order...

Handy Haversack (all my characters eventually end up with one)
Necklace of Strangulation (they usually end up with a couple of these, too)
Sovereign Glue

And a custom homebrew item called a Ring of Permanence. What it does is pretty simple. When you put it on, any one spell effect that is currently active upon you (your choice of which) is rendered permanent until you take the ring off, at which time it immediately dispels.

Pandoras Folly
2013-02-17, 10:40 AM
Bag of flour

20 feet of modular pole

Sovreign glue

7 beaded curtains

Piece of goose down stuck the end of a shaped stick. its how the inuits hunt for seal on ice. The place the down into the seals breathing hole in the ice and the slightest movements are detected in the still air. After I showed the video to my DM he declared it an autowin button for quite a few skill checks, so seals are extinct on his game world.

javijuji
2013-02-17, 10:49 AM
Mask of Lies. It was my 1st wondrous item on my first character. A Chaotic Neutral Bard.

Leon
2013-02-17, 10:51 AM
Belt of Many Pockets ~ all the convenience of extra dimensional storage without being a backpack.

Story
2013-02-17, 10:51 AM
And a custom homebrew item called a Ring of Permanence. What it does is pretty simple. When you put it on, any one spell effect that is currently active upon you (your choice of which) is rendered permanent until you take the ring off, at which time it immediately dispels.

Isn't that kind of broken? It like Incantrix/DMM in an item.

Krobar
2013-02-17, 11:27 AM
Isn't that kind of broken? It like Incantrix/DMM in an item.

Kinda broken, yeah. But in the overall scheme of things, it's not really that overboard. It takes up a ring slot, and only affects one spell at a time. And Persistent Spell was banned in this particular game, and Craft Contingent Spell, although not banned, was significantly limited.

FyreByrd
2013-02-17, 11:42 AM
Survival Pouch (Magic Item Compendium pg 187)

There is no problem that cannot be solved by pulling a mule out of a pouch.

limejuicepowder
2013-02-17, 11:55 AM
I like virtually any wonderous item - extradimensional spaces, robe of eyes, that spoon that makes food; basically anything that has a convenient but not necessarily battle related use is fun.

What I don't like is insane sword +5 of chop your head off, or battle hammer of lol lots of damage, or floating shield of what the hell were the designers thinking, or clothing item of wow I'm way stronger/faster/tougher/smarter. When a character only becomes really good when they have some specific items, I start to squirm. At that point, the character is as much about the item(s) as they are about their abilities. Plus I hate when things can be taken away.

Yeah I know this is pretty much the antithesis of 3.5, but I can't help it. Maybe I should only play another system.

sketchtb
2013-02-17, 11:56 AM
l'll second the survival pouch, last night I was feeding mules to a purple worm as a distraction for our escape.

In no real order:

Ring of telekinesis, H.H. Haversack, Aboleth Mucus, Survival Pouch, Potion Belt, any of the Feather Tokens

JellyPooga
2013-02-17, 12:02 PM

Except a mule-overpopulation problem.

Though I must agree that the Survival Pouch is very handy and somewhere near the top of my list!

I think my No.1 item, though, is the humble bandoleer. No matter what character I'm playing I almost always spring for a mundane version of the Belt of Many Pockets because A)it won't fail on you in an AMF and B)pockets are useful and C)it makes it that much easier to get your hands of your "quick-access" gear, like potions, Feather-tokens, marbles, etc. No rooting around in a cumbersome backpack for my characters!

Oh and Ring Gates. I just love 'em!

thompur
2013-02-17, 12:36 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack-I play alot of characters that dump Str.
Circlet of Persuasion-I play a lot of characters that depend on Cha.
Quaal's Feather Token-Tree - Very useful in many different situations.
Gauntlets of Ghostfighting - I HATE miss chances.
Armor and Weapon Crystals - The right tool for the right job for cheap.
Apparatus of Kwalish - I've never gotten to get one, but it's so silly and goofy, yet potentially deadly, that it looks like it would be neat to have.(has anyone ever had one or used one in a game?):smallcool:

subject42
2013-02-17, 12:43 PM
Survival Pouch (Magic Item Compendium pg 187)

This got me most of the way through the tomb of horrors, actually.

From Pathfinder, I love "troll styptic". It's ground-up troll that you can use to heal wounds non-magically.

Lorsa
2013-02-17, 12:55 PM
I like the Deck of Many Things. I had my players run into one once when I was DMing and it was lots of fun!

HMS Invincible
2013-02-17, 01:18 PM
I like chronocharms of the archmage, and horizon walker, IIRC. The former lets you turn fullround spells into standard, aka summon monster actually does something now, and the latter allows you to ignore one AoO.

Platinum Piece
2013-02-17, 01:34 PM
Ring of the Beast, Amulet of Natural Attacks, Monk's Belt, Wildling Clasps.

Oh wait... Those are all druid items. :smallsmile:

Gildedragon
2013-02-17, 03:46 PM
As a DM I love decks of many things; watching the PCs act skittish whenever someone pulls out a deck of cards. Priceless

As a PC: Aureon Spellshards, Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance, Clear Spindle Iounstone, and from PF Cracked Oplaescent Pyramid Iounstone

Jeff the Green
2013-02-17, 05:30 PM
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
Chronocharms, shapesand, and rings of evasion
Masterwork tools and Incense (Meditation)
Enveloping pits and Graft'd Feathered Wings
These are a few of my favorite things
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
Ioun Stones (the orange ones) and sentira armor
Aureon's Spellshard, a wand with a glamer
Some Raptor Arrows and Diamond Mind Rings
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
Thaalud stone armor and Serpentstongue Arrow
Compression dorjes when passageways narrow
Wintermoon Bows, endless flame on my bling
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
When the worg bites
When the formian stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply grab all of my favorite things
And then I make them hurt bad!
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫

almightycoma
2013-02-17, 06:51 PM
for mundane items 4 50ft coils of silk rope, masterwork adamantine manacles, those babies haves saves my mundane characters butt many times.
for magic items ring of sustenance (not eating and only two hours of rest yes please), anything that lets me breath under water(im super paranoid about that for some reason), and necklace of fireballs. i love that thing especially since my DM allows other energy types as well.

Eldan
2013-02-17, 06:59 PM
Feather Token: tree. Best item ever.

Second place is the hat of disguise.

herrhauptmann
2013-02-17, 07:41 PM
Handy haversack.
Steadfast boots. Shuts down all uberchargers if you've got a 2 handed weapon ready.
Boots of Mountainking.

Stormfire Ring. 4000 GP, Magic Item Compendium. Area effect, negates invisibility, up to 25d6 electricity damage, no save.
But it does have SR.
And it's only 1d6 a round (5 rounds per activation, 5 activations per day), so a lot less useful than 25d6 sounds.
Why not a persistent thunderhead spell? :smalleek:
1 point of lightning damage per round. For the entire day. :D 14400 damage, thank you very much.

ArcturusV
2013-02-17, 07:45 PM
Probably Pain Extractor lately. Been playing Evil characters (That most of the party liked more than our Good Characters oddly enough).

Squirrel_Dude
2013-02-17, 07:46 PM
Rod of Absorption. Because disintegrate has always terrified me.

rot42
2013-02-18, 02:07 AM
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
Chronocharms, shapesand, and rings of evasion
Masterwork tools and Incense (Meditation)
Enveloping pits and Graft'd Feathered Wings
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
Ioun Stones (the orange ones) and sentira armor
Aureon's Spellshard, a wand with a glamer
Some Raptor Arrows and Diamond Mind Rings
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
Thaalud stone armor and Serpentstongue Arrow
Compression dorjes when passageways narrow
Wintermoon Bows, endless flame on my bling
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫
When the worg bites
When the formian stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply grab all of my favorite things
And then I make them hurt bad!
♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♫♫♪♪♫

Pocketwatch of +5 Autohypnosis so I can hear the sound of Jeff the Green's music whenever I please. Failing that, I find Greatreach Bracers (MIC 108) to be far more fun than they really ought to be.

Vizzerdrix
2013-02-18, 03:45 AM
Shapesand.

This. As much as the DM allows.

SowZ
2013-02-18, 04:27 AM
My trusty prestidigitation underwear. Prestidigitation at will is more than worth 3k. And if you're captured, you'll probably have to change into some prison garb but hopefully your captors won't remove your undies. If they have that much decency, your golden! Plus, it cleans itself. Which is nice.

Norin
2013-02-18, 12:14 PM
staff of swarming insects. Is that what it's called? (afb now)

why? Because it was the first "real" magic item i found back in the ad&d days. Hardly got to use it because i did not want to spend charges. Oh those where the days. :smallsmile:

Ianuagonde
2013-02-18, 01:58 PM
The Haversack saves so much hassle, you've got to have one.

Other than that, magic ammo. It's not just for penetrating DR, Bane arrows are a staple for all my characters with a ranged weapon. Who cares about the resistances or immunities of that devil (or is it a demon?) when you've got Evil Outsider Bane arrows! For 1/50th the price of a comparable weapon, it's a lot cheaper and easier to purchase. Most small communities don't sell expensive magic weapons, but 160 gp items like +1 Bane (whatever) ammo? Sure!

RFLS
2013-02-18, 02:10 PM
Except a mule-overpopulation problem.

Well, actually, if you keep pulling ENOUGH mules out, they'll all die due to starvation. It solves itself!

My favorite item has to be the portable hole. More specifically, stacked portable holes. I once played an artificer who stacked somewhere near 1000 portable holes in wacky arrangements, decorated the whole thing, and opened a hole-tel in it.

Neoriceisgood
2013-02-18, 03:46 PM
Survival Pouch sounds awesome, I should get me one of those. :smallbiggrin:

Mithril Leaf
2013-02-18, 05:03 PM
For an as of yet unmentioned choice, the humble Healing Belt. For an inexpensive 750 GP, you get 6d8 healing daily. For 3,750 GP, you hit that sweet spot that I like of 30d8 healing. If you mix it with that Amulet of Retributive Healing from the same book (MIC) you could get 60d8 of healing a day by passing them around. For under 6,000 GP. The Rings of Anticipation and Arming also consistently show up, the first for giving you a best of two Initiative roll, and the latter for providing an extremely easy way to don and remove armor as well as freeing space in your haversack. The pair of them are only 8,000 GP.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 05:23 AM
Pocketwatch of +5 Autohypnosis so I can hear the sound of Jeff the Green's music whenever I please. Failing that, I find Greatreach Bracers (MIC 108) to be far more fun than they really ought to be.

*Bows* Can I (extended) sig that?

I'll add to the list:

Runestaffs, particularly when I'm playing a Dread Necromancer or Beguiler.
Eternal Wands
Metamagic wand grips
Rust monster wands
Reliquary Holy Symbols

rot42
2013-02-19, 08:19 AM
*Bows* Can I (extended) sig that?

By all means :).

I will add Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (Tome of Magic). With Ronove and Savnok, so long as you do not mind smiling a lot and having an old arrowhead always embedded somewhere in your body, you can move at full speed +30' regardless of armor or load. Leraje is mispriced, but Amon will replace a reserve feat if you like that sort of thing.

A Shadowy Diadem (Dragon Magic) is about the cheapest form of pseudo all day concealment.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-02-19, 01:22 PM
Suprise Weapons get a bad rep, but for characters that need their hands, like wand users, they can be invaluable. Cheap too.

Venger
2013-02-19, 02:30 PM
For an as of yet unmentioned choice, the humble Healing Belt. For an inexpensive 750 GP, you get 6d8 healing daily. For 3,750 GP, you hit that sweet spot that I like of 30d8 healing. If you mix it with that Amulet of Retributive Healing from the same book (MIC) you could get 60d8 of healing a day by passing them around.

by 3750, do you mean buy 5 healing belts and use them throughout the day? because that's always fine

the amulet of retributive healing only works 3 times a day. I'm not sure if you can activate the healing belt while someone else is wearing it, or if that counts as "you" giving them the healing.

or did you mean something else?

Shining Wrath
2013-02-19, 02:56 PM
How much can I spend? A Ring of Free Action is sweet, but it's also expensive.

Ring of Anticipation. Anything that lets you roll twice and choose the better result is full of win.

StrongArm bracers. For $6K you get to wield size large weapons at no penalty, which essentially adds a D4 or D6 to every hit you make, and it's untyped damage which doubles on a critical hit.

The humble scroll. Instead of memorizing (Wizard), asking for (Cleric / Druid), or burning a permanent spot on (Sorcerer / Adept) a "just in case" spell, you stick it in your Handy Haversack.

Speaking of which, a 10x10x10 closet on your back which returns the item you want without searching is very handy.

Ring of Protection, because Deflection is better than Natural Armor or Armor.

Add Displacement to your armor if you can. Buy a cloak thereof if you can't.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-19, 03:06 PM
I like virtually any wonderous item - extradimensional spaces, robe of eyes, that spoon that makes food; basically anything that has a convenient but not necessarily battle related use is fun.

What I don't like is insane sword +5 of chop your head off, or battle hammer of lol lots of damage, or floating shield of what the hell were the designers thinking, or clothing item of wow I'm way stronger/faster/tougher/smarter. When a character only becomes really good when they have some specific items, I start to squirm. At that point, the character is as much about the item(s) as they are about their abilities. Plus I hate when things can be taken away.

Yeah I know this is pretty much the antithesis of 3.5, but I can't help it. Maybe I should only play another system.

I can see your point but I also enjoy planning out what I'm going to buy, saving up for it, thinking about how the item fits my character's role in the party, and so on.

Plus you can be in-character with it. My Warblade purchased a cloak of resistance +1 a while back; he went to a tailor and had his newly conceived logo of the Dire Tiger sewn onto it. So it's not just a minor wondrous item, it's also a "Why yes I AM the baddest dude here" emblem, which is how my Warblade sees himself.

Asteron
2013-02-19, 03:43 PM
I can see your point but I also enjoy planning out what I'm going to buy, saving up for it, thinking about how the item fits my character's role in the party, and so on.

Plus you can be in-character with it. My Warblade purchased a cloak of resistance +1 a while back; he went to a tailor and had his newly conceived logo of the Dire Tiger sewn onto it. So it's not just a minor wondrous item, it's also a "Why yes I AM the douchiest dude here" emblem, which is how my Warblade sees himself.

Fixed it for you...

In all seriousness, Augment Crystals are gold for the crit-fishers I like to play.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-19, 04:08 PM
Fixed it for you...

In all seriousness, Augment Crystals are gold for the crit-fishers I like to play.

Yes, if you have a good idea who you're up against today the various augment crystals can be very handy.

I like the Greater Truedeath and Destruction crystals. Nothing spoils a lich's day quite like finding out that he's vulnerable to critical hits from your TWF crit-fisher.

Don't tell him he's a douche. He thinks he's All That, even with a druid in the party. With a Fleshraker as an animal companion.

Asteron
2013-02-19, 04:11 PM
Yes, if you have a good idea who you're up against today the various augment crystals can be very handy.

I like the Greater Truedeath and Destruction crystals. Nothing spoils a lich's day quite like finding out that he's vulnerable to critical hits from your TWF crit-fisher.

Don't tell him he's a douche. He thinks he's All That, even with a druid in the party. With a Fleshraker as an animal companion.

Have you ever known someone to wear clothes with animals on them and they didn't think they were All That?

[Edit]I prefer to critfish with a falchion over TWF... but we do houserule that keen and Imp. Crit stack.

Shining Wrath
2013-02-19, 04:12 PM
Have you ever known someone to wear clothes with animals on them and they didn't think they were All That?

Lots of toddlers in their Garanimals.

Asteron
2013-02-19, 04:14 PM
Lots of toddlers in their Garanimals.

Every toddler is the center of their own universe.

Mithril Leaf
2013-02-19, 04:31 PM
by 3750, do you mean buy 5 healing belts and use them throughout the day? because that's always fine

the amulet of retributive healing only works 3 times a day. I'm not sure if you can activate the healing belt while someone else is wearing it, or if that counts as "you" giving them the healing.

or did you mean something else?

Forgot about the 3 per day clause of retributive healing. Your post is spot on in assumptions. I had meant to say that for whoever needs healing, have someone else who needs it equip the belt and amulet so that both parties get the healing.

Story
2013-02-19, 05:03 PM

Good thing he didn't bother to have the Heart of X spells up.

Renen
2013-02-19, 05:06 PM
What book does shapesand come from? MY google-fu fails me

Chilingsworth
2013-02-19, 05:08 PM
necklace of adaptation
anklet of translocation
belt of healing
rod of viscid globs
war wizard's cloak
quill of scribing
sending stones
aspect mirror

EDIT: was just reminded: Handy Haversack

Also, stat and resistance items.

Venger
2013-02-19, 06:03 PM
What book does shapesand come from? MY google-fu fails me

it's from sandstorm.

ericgrau
2013-02-19, 06:15 PM
Just some random ones I love:

marvelous pigments: paint anything mundane and it becomes real
ring of the ram: mah push ring :smallbiggrin:
Oil of invisibility: for creatures and objects
Boots of speed: free action haste
Spell storing weapons: sudden boom attack
dust of disappareance: the whole party is greater invisibled and true seeing doesn't break it, a.k.a. "This fight looks like big trouble, let's pay 3,500 gp to auto-win it"

gooddragon1
2013-02-19, 07:19 PM
Boots of Teleportation: When anywhere else is better than where you are now.

ddude987
2013-02-19, 08:07 PM
It isn't an item by itself, but I always always pick myself up at least the first version of Shax's haver sack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101). As a DM I always loved giving my players the deck of many things.

Story
2013-02-19, 08:10 PM
Why would you ever give them a DoMT? It's guaranteed to wreck your campaign one way or another.

hypnotoad
2013-02-19, 08:31 PM
I couldn't live without a pair of Anklets of Translocation.
They save my life about 2 times per day. :smallcool:

Uhtred
2013-02-19, 08:46 PM
Crossbow bayonets. They can be attached perpetually, don't affect the way the crossbow fires/operates at all, so there's no point in not having one in all the time, so your crossbow can also be a spear. As a real-life crossbow hunter, the thought of a three-foot blade mounted on the end of my crossbow NOT affecting my shots at all makes me laugh. A lot. They fixed it in pathfinder by having the bayonet sit in the bolt slot.
In that same vein there is absolutely no reason for characters of any class (except possibly Monk) NOT to perpetually equip a pair of spiked gauntlets. There's no penalty for wearing them, they can't be disarmed, they're a handy way for low-level characters to be able to deal a little piercing damage to that one foe that just won't leave you alone, and for some reason wearing a pair of heavy metal gloves covered in spikes won't affect your spell casting. Your intricate and precise arcane gestures work just fine. You'll take a penalty if you aren't proficient with them, but our party wizard definitely spiked gauntlet pimp-slapped a displacer beast with a lucky roll once. Our DM ruled that the beast wasn't expecting that from the spell-flinger, and had the beast be dazed for a round.
Likewise armor spikes. If you're wearing armor, no reason not to have them. No penalty for wearing them, no detrimental effects, and if someone grapples you they take damage. Not much, but every bit helps. Love it.
Also I second the Rod of Wonder. Our group has a house ruled variant that has a Gender Swap effect a la the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity on a roll of 69%. If the character goes from male to female, they roll a d6 to determine cup size. Higher cup sizes grant a bonus to Charisma. We're a fun group.

Story
2013-02-19, 08:56 PM
In that same vein there is absolutely no reason for characters of any class (except possibly Monk) NOT to perpetually equip a pair of spiked gauntlets.

What if you need the gloves slot for something else? Gloves of Dexterity, Gloves of the Master Strategist, etc?

Uhtred
2013-02-19, 09:31 PM
What if you need the gloves slot for something else? Gloves of Dexterity, Gloves of the Master Strategist, etc?

I did specify low-level characters, where that extra d4 damage is what stands between you and dying on a goblin's spear. Most worthwhile gloves cost more than a lvl 1-4 ought to be investing in them right off the bat, where 10gp is a throwaway investment, essentially.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 10:15 PM

Also, since gauntlets are weapons, they don't take up the hands magic item slot. You can wear your gloves over or under them.

Harugami
2013-02-19, 10:19 PM
I like fun random things so:

Deck of many(both normal and harrow{PF})
Bag of tricks (all the tricks)
Knuckle bone of fickle fortune
Chomper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bag-of-devouring-intelligent) (intelligent bag of devouring you can swing at people)
And my most favorite item for various reasons:
Rod that should not be(only appears in UEG)

Venger
2013-02-19, 11:20 PM
I like fun random things so:

Deck of many(both normal and harrow{PF})
Bag of tricks (all the tricks)
Knuckle bone of fickle fortune
Chomper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bag-of-devouring-intelligent) (intelligent bag of devouring you can swing at people)
And my most favorite item for various reasons:
Rod that should not be(only appears in UEG)

what is "ueg" is that pathfinder's ultimate equipment guide? what does that rod do?

Harugami
2013-02-19, 11:25 PM
This rod is a fusion of magic and the limb of a dangerous, nearly mindless aberration. This rod features a single writhing tentacle at one end. The rod contains the mind of a living creature, but it does not have the ability to communicate via speech, empathy, or telepathy. If allowed, the rod attempts to attack creatures within reach, and must be stowed in a bag or backpack when the wielder is sleeping to keep it from grasping at the wielder or other creatures. On command, the tentacle attacks an adjacent creature as a melee touch attack (attack bonus +8). On a successful hit, the tentacle deals 2d8 points of acid damage and the target must succeed at a DC 14 Will saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 round. This paralysis is a mind-affecting fear effect.
The greater version of this rod has four tentacles, which attack the same target simultaneously on command (attack bonus +12). The tentacles collectively deal 4d8 points of acid damage and the target must succeed at a DC 18 Will saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 round. This paralysis is a mind-affecting fear effect. The greater rods have a dedicated purpose: serve a bloodthirsty master.

Altogether a fun strange thing that can only be outside of a bag of holding during combat or it kills you and your party.

Gildedragon
2013-02-19, 11:41 PM
Oh, great item for wizards:

+1 Poison Rings
Put them on, enchant them to your heart's content (defending, spellblade, warning) they don't use your ring slot, they're discrete, and give you an imposing unarmed look.

"Why yes, I am old and frail looking and I am confidently striding through the wilderness unarmed and unarmored. Want to attack me? I need some XP to finish crafting my floating palanquin."

ArcturusV
2013-02-19, 11:56 PM
Also, since gauntlets are weapons, they don't take up the hands magic item slot. You can wear your gloves over or under them.

Though you have to watch out for that. Occasionally DMs will pick up on that, and go, "... really? Really? No. Just no. No."

Happened to me a few times in the day. I mean technically you can wear Bracers, Gloves, and Gauntlets all at the same time. But DMs don't seem to like that.

Forrestfire
2013-02-20, 12:02 AM
Quall's Feather Token (tree) has been my favorite item since the first time I got to use one in a campaign.

We used them for castle demolition, threats, and naval warfare. :smallbiggrin:

Though you have to watch out for that. Occasionally DMs will pick up on that, and go, "... really? Really? No. Just no. No."

Happened to me a few times in the day. I mean technically you can wear Bracers, Gloves, and Gauntlets all at the same time. But DMs don't seem to like that.

Why would ANYONE wear metal plates on their hands without gloves underneath? It seems perfectly logical that you'd be able to wear gloves with gauntlets.

Pandiano
2013-02-20, 06:56 PM
Quall's Feather Token (tree) has been my favorite item since the first time I got to use one in a campaign.

We used them for castle demolition, threats, and naval warfare. :smallbiggrin:

This! Got swallowed whole. Activated one of these inside the stomach. Well, was messy!

Nearly no situation that wouldn't profit from a sudden tree!

Rubik
2013-02-20, 11:42 PM
Also, since gauntlets are weapons, they don't take up the hands magic item slot. You can wear your gloves over or under them.AND you can hold weapons in the hands wearing the gloves and gauntlets. For bonus points, add wand chambers to them.

Alienist
2013-02-20, 11:57 PM
Eversmoking bottle, because it lets Monks slaughter Wizards

Story
2013-02-21, 12:13 AM
because it lets Monks slaughter Wizards

You're joking, right? Or are these weakling NPC wizards?

Rubik
2013-02-21, 12:14 AM
My favorites?

The haversack, of course, but that's a given.

But my absolute favorite of all time? The psychoactive skin of proteus. Manifester level 7 Metamorphosis at will? YES! And it lasts until dispelled, I turn into something else, or the skin is removed? YES! And I can become creatures OR objects? YES! And every time I use it, I get healed as though resting for an evening? YES! It's basically more powerful than most greater artifacts, truth be told, though you need to figure out which are the best forms to use and when. 7-headed pyro/cryohydra, rust monster (and the crystal equivalent, the crysmal), pixie, etc etc etc.