PDA

View Full Version : [PF] is there a way to make a PF paladin into a diablo style auradin?

jhardin87
2013-02-17, 11:33 AM
I was playing diablo 2 the other night runnin my old auradin and started wondering if there was a way to make a pathfinder paladin like that. You could do so much with his aura class feature but unfortunately it is so limited in pathfinder. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make more use out of it for party buffs or enemy debuffs. Hell i'd even settle for a way to increase its range. Is there any alternate class feature or prestige class like that in PF or 3.5 that can do that or would i have to homebrew it? I mean i know there's the cavalier but we're playing an underground campaign and all of the mounted combat features would be completely wasted so i dont really wanna dip that.

Answerer
2013-02-17, 11:40 AM
A refluffed Bard might be more appropriate, using the Bardic Music abilities as Auras. Something like Paladin 2 for Divine Grace, Smite Evil, heavy armor, martial weapons, and so on for iconic Paladin-ness, and the rest Bard, perhaps?

If you're allowed 3.5 material, a Bardsader (Bard/Crusader from Tome of Battle using Song of the White Raven) would be absolutely ideal.

Of course, these are generally ally-buffs, rather than the elemental damage that the Diablo II Auradin focused on. I'm not aware of any way to get more stuff along those lines. Of course, those things only worked in Diablo II if you got items that all-but-required dupes to create, so this may not actually be much of a difference between Pathfinder and Diablo II.

jhardin87
2013-02-17, 11:52 AM
See i'm not as worried about trying to make a full on walk-into-a-room-and-everything-dies-just-from-standing-in-your-sheer-awesome-presence auradin, it just made me realize that for such a potentially awesome and effective class feature, the paladin's aura actually doesnt do very much. And yes you bring up a good point, the idea does kind of barge into the bard's territory a bit, but still there must be some way to boost a paladin's aura. I mean they are already the cliche party leader, why not make them more able to boost the parties abilities?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-02-17, 11:53 AM
You really can't, in either 3E or PF. In 3E you can combine martial and paladin dips with draconic auras and such and have a half-decent chance of pulling it off.

That said, here are some feats from Ultimate Magic related to your questions (for both aura effects and other things similar ot what diablo paladins can do):
Channeled Shield Wall
You draw upon your channel energy to enhance the protective ability of your shield and those of allies while they are adjacent to you.

Prerequisites: Channel energy, 3d6 proficiency with a shield.

Benefit: As a swift action, you can spend a use of your channel energy to grant yourself a +2 deflection bonus while using a shield. This bonus lasts 1 minute per cleric level or effective cleric level. While you benefit from this bonus, allies with shields also gain a +2 deflection bonus while they are adjacent to you.

Divine Interference
You can convert a spell to interfere with an enemy's attack.

Prerequisites: Divine spellcaster, caster level 10th.

Benefit: As an immediate action, when an enemy within 30 feet hits an ally with an attack, you can sacrifice a prepared divine spell or (if you are a spontaneous caster) an unused spell slot and make the enemy reroll the attack roll. The second attack roll takes a penalty equal to the level of the spell you sacrifice. You must sacrifice a spell of 1st-level or higher to use this ability. Whether or not the second attack is successful, you cannot use this effect on the same creature again for 1 day.

Dragonbane Aura
Those within your dragonbane aura gain the same protection that you do.

Prerequisites: Aura of courage class feature, caster level 8th.

Benefit: When fighting dragons, your aura of courage expands to a 20-foot-radius emanation, and allies in the aura gain a morale bonus on saving throws against dragon breath equal to your aura of courage's bonus against fear effects.

Normal: The aura of courage is a 10-foot-radius emanation, and grants a +4 morale bonus on fear effects.

Fearless Aura
Your aura of courage becomes more potent, as your steadfast resolve is also manifested by your allies.

Prerequisites: Aura of courage class feature, caster level 8th.

Benefit: Your aura of courage expands to a 20-foot-radius emanation. Allies within the aura are immune to fear effects.

Normal: The aura of courage affects each ally within 10 feet, and grants a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

Reward of Grace
When you lay on hands, divine energy ripples through you, granting you grace.

Prerequisite: Lay on hands class feature.

Benefit: Each time you use your lay on hands ability, you gain a +1 sacred bonus on all attack rolls for 1 round.

Reward of Life
When you lay on hands, you are also healed.

Benefit: Each time you use your lay on hands ability to heal a creature other than yourself, you heal a number of hit points equal to your Charisma bonus. This ability has no effect if you use lay on hands to harm undead.

Ultimate Resolve
Your aura of resolve does not fall with you.

Prerequisite: Aura of resolve class feature.

Benefit: Your aura of resolve is a 20-foot emanation, and does not end if you fall unconscious.

Normal: The aura of resolve affects each ally within 10 feet, and ends when you fall unconscious.

Word of Healing
Using the same divine energy as your lay on hands ability, you can heal others at a distance.

Benefit: You may use your lay on hands to heal another creature at a range of 30 feet as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. You must be able to speak and have a free hand to use this ability. The target heals half the amount they would have healed if you had touched them, but gains the benefits of your mercies as normal.

Bolded feats are the ones I think are actually possibly useful. Not related, but also from UM, Unsanctioned Knowledge is a great feat and Ultimate Mercy is an ok feat.

Xenogears
2013-02-17, 12:44 PM
See i'm not as worried about trying to make a full on walk-into-a-room-and-everything-dies-just-from-standing-in-your-sheer-awesome-presence auradin, it just made me realize that for such a potentially awesome and effective class feature, the paladin's aura actually doesnt do very much. And yes you bring up a good point, the idea does kind of barge into the bard's territory a bit, but still there must be some way to boost a paladin's aura. I mean they are already the cliche party leader, why not make them more able to boost the parties abilities?

You could take a 1-3 level dip into Marshal to get 1 or 2 minor auras. My favorites are Cha to Dex checks (hide, move silently, and initiative for the ultimate stealth party when needed) and Cha to Cha checks (for being the ultimate party face).